PDA

View Full Version : Audi RS4 Saloon @ Geneva Autoshow

tailpipe
March 1st, 2005, 19:17
More proof, if any were needed, that the new RS4 is going to be an incredible car. While it looks sensational in the metal with numerous clever design details, such as interior door handles with metal cut-outs that save weight wherever possible; the real story is under the hood.

The 4.2 litre FSI engine is extremely compact and while most of its bulk is still located ahead of the front wheels, the model of the engine and transmission on display at Geneva seems to show that it is set further back than before.

It also appears that Audi may have been conservative with its performance estimates. We may well see a 0-100 kph time of 4.6 seconds instead of the quoted 4.8 seconds. Obviously, it will depend on the ambient conditions, but Audi has learnt a trick from BMW, which as a gesture of false modesty, often deliberately understates its performance data.

As you can see from the attached photos, The RS4 comes with standard 5-spoke alloys that are similar to those on the current RS6. The more exotic 7-spoke 19 inch alloy wheels are available as an option.

The cabin is more than superbly finished; it is a visual and tactile feast and an environment that communicates to every human sense that this is a car that seriously means business. The front sports seats are extremely supportive and comfortable. They adjust manually instead of having the extra weight of electric motors to move them. The standard specification includes seats with carbon-fibre-like fabric inserts and leather sides. This material looks and feels very hi-tech. It should be hard-wearing too. Full leather is available as an option. The starter button in the centre console looks great. The aluminium pedals glisten like jewels at your feet. The entire dashboard is swathed with generous amounts of carbon fibre. The dials and gauges display a simplicity, clarity and style of design that is unique to the brand with 4-rings. Air conditioning and electric windows are standard luxury items that have not been discarded to save weight, (thankfully). Satellite Navigation is also available as an option.

For all its sports car focus, the RS4 is also immense practical. The sports seats do not take away space from the rear occupants. The car is easy to get in and out of for all occupants. In short, the depth of thought that has gone into its creation is deeply impressive.

Now for some even better news: according to an Audi spokesperson, the Avant will be launched at virtually at the same time as the Sedan/ Saloon. The UK price is likely to be in the region of £49,200.

I asked about DSG and was told that the RS4 will only be available with a manual gearbox, because the engine develops more power than any existing automatic transmission can handle!!!! I am not sure I believe this, because I have had positive confirmation from other sources within Audi that DSG will appear in the RS4. I still need to find out more.

So, that’s it for now. I will update this on Wednesday.

tailpipe
March 1st, 2005, 19:19
Somebody help!!! I have about 20 colour images of the RS4 from Geneva which I cannot upload because the site says the file sizes are too large.

There's a red one, a silver one, different stles of wheels different seat materila options and detail shots.

Fab
March 1st, 2005, 19:22
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :rs4addict :rs4kiss: :heart:

J.Seven
March 1st, 2005, 21:45
Originally posted by tailpipe
Somebody help!!! I have about 20 colour images of the RS4 from Geneva which I cannot upload because the site says the file sizes are too large.

There's a red one, a silver one, different stles of wheels different seat materila options and detail shots.

Sent it to me, I´ll will post it for you;)
Check your PM
J.Seven

tailpipe
March 1st, 2005, 23:50
Thanks J

Email on its way to you.

RS4Ever
March 2nd, 2005, 02:58
excellent news!

now, enough about looking at text... lets see those pics! :D

:bow: :rs4addict

5000S old skool
March 2nd, 2005, 03:40
. I asked about DSG and was told that the RS4 will only be available with a manual gearbox, because the engine develops more power than any existing automatic transmission can handle!!!!

Wait, i think the spokesperson meant sequential transmission, becase the RS6 has 450hp with an automatic box.

krm
March 2nd, 2005, 07:08
my feeble attempt in searching for pics of the RS4 from the Geneva show...

http://www.salon-auto.ch/multimedia/images/img_traitees/2005/en_images/1109684468_dsc_0048_small.jpg

http://www.salon-auto.ch/multimedia/images/img_traitees/2005/en_images/1109684559_dsc_0054_small.jpg

For those of you who have seen the car in the metal, please post your pics soon!

kujo
March 2nd, 2005, 09:01
Get those pix posted buddy !!!!!

:incar: :rs4addict

krm
March 2nd, 2005, 10:08
More here... http://www.thecarlounge.net/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=/Events/International%20Auto%20Shows/Geneva/2005/Audi

:revs:

J.Seven
March 2nd, 2005, 12:30
Thanks J

Email on its way to you.

tailpape havent´s reveice nothing from you till now:confused:

J.Seven

J.Seven
March 2nd, 2005, 22:49
Tailpepe pics from Geneva Show:thumb:
http://a8.cpimg.com/image/20/95/45620768-411a-02000199-.jpg
http://a0.cpimg.com/image/22/95/45620770-6775-02000199-.jpg http://a1.cpimg.com/image/23/95/45620771-b79e-02000199-.jpg
http://a2.cpimg.com/image/24/95/45620772-89dd-02000199-.jpg
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/25/95/45620773-4a20-02000199-.jpg

Thanks T :thumb:

RS4Ever
March 3rd, 2005, 00:47
wow.. those wheel arches must be something in the flesh..

in every pic including the red and silver they are awesome! - so visible, so sporty.

Erik
March 3rd, 2005, 13:36
You can e-mail any pics to me.

Thanks for the story!

Here are a couple of more pictures.

http://www.rs6.com/pics/RS4/RS4-2005-1005.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/pics/RS4/RS4-2005-1004.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/pics/RS4/RS4-2005-1006.jpg

tailpipe
March 3rd, 2005, 19:23
Many apologies for the technical hitches getting these images to you, but here are some more:

tailpipe
March 3rd, 2005, 19:25
As you can see they have tried to save weight wherever they can... Cool! Here's a close-up of our new favourite badge:

tailpipe
March 3rd, 2005, 19:26
Another shot of the interior:

This one has the aluminium finish not carbon fibre. I prefer the carbon fibre version: very very nice. Note SatNav.

tailpipe
March 3rd, 2005, 19:28
Someone asked for a picture of the rear. It's the same as the saloon, essentially. But no electric window lifts - again to save weight.

tailpipe
March 3rd, 2005, 19:29
Detail of front spoiler

tailpipe
March 3rd, 2005, 19:30
Detail of mirror

tailpipe
March 3rd, 2005, 19:31
There were some rear ends at the show that were more attractive than the RS4's...

tailpipe
March 3rd, 2005, 19:33
While some manufacturers had to resort to desperate measures to hide the fact that their cars weren't as good looking as the RS4...

tailpipe
March 3rd, 2005, 19:35
SIlver doesn't accentuate the chrome detailing that runs around the glass area. So i recommend either a grey/ gunmetal, blue (stunning in the flesh), black, red, or yellow.

Erik
March 3rd, 2005, 19:40
Many apologies for the technical hitches getting these images to you, but here are some more:

Saving weight. :eek:

WOW! When they start removing metal from door handles etc. they're serious! :rs4kiss:

RS4Ever
March 3rd, 2005, 22:09
thanks tailpipe.

so how is it in the flesh?
especially compared near the regular new A4's?

tailpipe
March 4th, 2005, 00:11
In the flesh (metal), the new RS4 looks very distinctive versus both standard A4 and S4 versions. The detailing that distinguishes it as an RS model gives it a taught, muscular look instead of the wolf in sheep's clothing that the previous version was.

The biggest giveaway to the car's performance is the front spolier. I think it looks a bit like an aftermarket add-on rather than fitted at the factory. it's the only feature I don't like very much. The new grille is still a bit too big and only really looks perfect on the A6, which was designed to have it from the outset. That said, the grill is rapidly becoming a non-issue. When you see it on the entire Audi range, you can see how it is starting to give the brand a very strong identity.

Despite large exhausts at the rear and a well-resolved spolier on the boot lid, the back end does not overtly shout performance sports car. Which is good in my book. The extended sills below the passenger doors look much better than the plastic bits you get on the side of an S4. The lowering of the car plus 19" wheels also makes it look better than the standard model.

The 19 inch 7-spoke alloys are much nicer than the 5-spoke alloys. But they look a bit fragile and I hope they don't distintegrate over pot-holes.

The real pleasure of the RS4 is inside it. The cabin is a work of art. The seats are absolutely brilliant. Comfortable supportive and very adaptable. The engine start button is a nice touch.

For all of the Rs4's cosmetic enhancements, what makes this car special is what is below the skin. Its engine looks like it will be a peach. Audi's Quattro drivetrain looks so much more effective compared to Subaru's. (Cutaway models of both were on display.)

When you look at this car, you are immediately aware of the time and effort that have gone into its creation. This is not a car that people will tire of quickly. It's an object I know I am going to want to keep for more than just a couple of years. I sat in a 2000 RS4 at Christmas time, and was hugely impressed by what superb car it still is. I know it is really only any good in a straight line, but build quality and finish and style had not diminished with age.

The new RS4 will be every bit as special to own, but it will be a whole new ball game when it comes to driving.

Finally, while the RS4 Sedan is an epic car. No doubt. The Avant will be even more so.

Mine arrives in November.

Finnus
March 4th, 2005, 02:58
Tailpipe,

Great pics and write-up! The pictures of the red beast with Audi's chairman (?) are the best I've seen yet and really show how different and aggressive the new Beast looks. Thanks again.

So tempting ...

Finnus
:addict:

RS4Ever
March 4th, 2005, 03:54
Originally posted by Finnus
Tailpipe,

Great pics and write-up!

:alig: word.

J.Seven
March 4th, 2005, 09:37
Tailpipe, what a great report you gave us. I agree with everything you said about the design flows the RS4 has, and also the fact that all car lines don´t shout racing machine. This is what I really liked on the previous model, it was a beast under the cat skin, yet, it was a very charming and beautiful state.

Thanks for sharing your view, I see you´re a man of very good taste :thumb:

J.Seven

J.Seven
March 4th, 2005, 09:55
Originally posted by Finnus
Tailpipe,

Great pics and write-up! The pictures of the red beast with Audi's chairman (?) are the best I've seen yet and really show how different and aggressive the new Beast looks. Thanks again.

So tempting ...

Finnus

Let me respectfuly desagree with you. I think the pic where we really can see the wideness of the front and rear wheel arches are this one taken by Tailpipe.
Look how wide are the wheel arches in this pic:thumb:
http://a8.cpimg.com/image/20/95/45620768-411a-02000199-.jpg

J.Seven

Finnus
March 4th, 2005, 13:50
Let me respectfuly desagree with you.

J. Seven,

Yes, that's a great shot, too & does show the wheel arches much better. The 19" wheels (I assume because of the 7 spoked rim) look awesome as well.

Finnus

QuattroFun
March 4th, 2005, 17:22
Tailpipe,

Many thanks - great shots (all of them...).

Just wonder about the wheels - do the 19" double spoke wheels look much better than the standard 18" wheels or the contrary?

How does the cloth-leather interior look like in reality? Had one of the cars also full leather and was it much more elegant?

gazzab
February 26th, 2006, 21:27
Geez I see what you guys mean by a forward engine, the picture with the chassis and engine is very meaningful.

Gazzab

Spada
February 26th, 2006, 23:36
I can't believe it's been a year since these pictures! I'm picking mine up this wednesday!!!:D

gazzab
February 26th, 2006, 23:42
Spada, what colour and spec's?

Gazzab

Spada
February 26th, 2006, 23:45
Daytona grey, carbon trim, black leather, bucket seats. I can't wait to get in it and drive!!!!

gazzab
February 26th, 2006, 23:52
Spada, what are the bucket seats, so you have a photo? I assume they are different to the RS Recaro sport seats, and why bucket?

Gazzab

Spada
February 26th, 2006, 23:55
they're the rs4 ones only available in europe.

gazzab
February 27th, 2006, 00:04
Spada, the Bucket seats are the standard spec. in Australia, with NCO of electric recaro seats. or electric memory seats incorp. exterior mirrors!

Gazzab

Spada
February 27th, 2006, 00:10
oh ok. was just trying to explain which ones i meant.

gazzab
February 27th, 2006, 00:18
Spada, it is confusing, I think all promo pictures show the bucket seats.

Gazzab

RS4Ever
February 27th, 2006, 12:24
Originally posted by Spada
I can't believe it's been a year since these pictures!
huh? seriously :doh:

Originally posted by Spada
I'm picking mine up this wednesday!!!:D
huh? seriously? :wo: