PDA

View Full Version : RS4 V8 challenger

Fab
February 28th, 2005, 12:39
The new RS4 has just been unveiled :heart: :rs4addict

followed by its legendary competitor : M3 :vgrumpy:

In 2006 BMW will kick it up a notch in the sports coupe market with the much anticipated next generation E90 M3. Both Coupe and Cabriolet models are planned with a new addition of a 4 door sedan not seen since the E36 platform.
The initial idea considered was a 4 door M3 saloon and a 2 door M4 coupe. But recently BMW has changed their minds and keep the legendary M3 coupe alive. Internal pressure from the BMW board was too great to kill it off. Therefore, the M3 coupe, M3 saloon and an M3 cabriolet in addition to an M4 coupe and a M4 cabriolet will be developed. Did you get all that?

The M3 coupe will feature a 6 Series like glasshouse with the possibility of a new distinct interior. The front will sport a new aggressive yet subtle bumper while the rear will display quad exhausts like the new M5. Power will come from a new lightweight V8 producing around 400hp and uses the latest dual-VANOS variable valve timing system. New engine building technology and lightweight materials mean the engine should amazingly weigh the same as the outgoing 3.2 liter in-line 6 cylinder from the current E46 M3 but with considerably more power.

The new M3 is slated to arrive in early 2006 with a 2005 Frankfurt debut and the cabriolet will have a Geneva 2006 debut with sales beginning in summer 2006. The SMG transmission will come standard and a CSL version of the coupe with excess of 420hp is being planned as well.

During early testing of the cabriolet version of the 4 series BMW experimented with both a normal canvas roof and a hard folding top but decided on the canvas due to weight savings and maintenance. The M4 Coupe and M4 Cabriolet will also feature the M3 V8 engine and should go on sale later. No further details are known. A concept for the regular 4 Series is slated for Frankfurt in September.

The new M3 looks great though :

Fab
February 28th, 2005, 12:40
the rear :

Erik
February 28th, 2005, 12:46
The battle goes on!

Good to see an M3 Limo again.

Fab
February 28th, 2005, 12:54
The power battle will definitely be in favour of the M3 : the performances in terms of acceleration and maybe even in terms of torque will be M3 territory.

And this time no stage 1,2 or 3 easily possible for the RS4 to get the lead :argue:

tuff time for the RS4

5000S old skool
February 28th, 2005, 12:55
Look how the competition is....

Audi is making the S5 coupe, and a high reving V8 to respond to BMW. M3 is coming back with the M3 sedan and putting AWD in the 5 series to respond to Audi.

When will the madness stop?! I hope it doesnt
:D

The front of the M3 looks like a mini M5. If BMW want to beat Audi in the looks departement, then I have a peice of advice for them, FIRE CHRIS BANGLE!!! The 7-series and the 6-series are the only two the look somewhat good compared to their previous models. but the Bangle 3 and 5 series look awful compared to the old.

The V8 im assuming is a 5.0L. If so then the RS4 has competition because this engine will have more low-end torque then the RS4. The RS4 engine is very peaky and high-end. If the M3 V8 is a 4.0 then this should be a crazy fight to the finish!!:race:

Fab
February 28th, 2005, 13:01
well, Motorsport will release wathever engine specs are necessary in order to beat the RS4.

Even if M3 coupe and limo/avant RS4 are as you said not exactly in the same category, those 2 beasts have been always compared.

In my eyes they are direct competitors and with a NA Audi engine the comparison between the 2 manufacturer in term of engine skills will be fully valid this time, no matter if quattro or not.

5000S old skool
February 28th, 2005, 13:06
Well, if its competition with N/A engines, then Audi will lose. The only high revving is the RS4. Once the CSL comes out Audi will get blown away.

Audi need to do something about the S4. They havent improved it from the B6 and BMW is just taking advantage of that. The S4 cant even come close to smelling the new M3 now. Audi could have at least gave an improved hand-me-down from the S8. While the RS4 will compete with the M3, the CSL version will have no competition coming from Audi.

Fab
February 28th, 2005, 13:18
I think that the M3 engine will also be high rev.

Anyway what a big disapointment to be kicked on acceleration but certainly also in torque (where Audi was good, thanks to turbos) by a BMW

This will not make me change my choice. I go for the RS4 V8 avant for shure. But some nice driving round will take place next year :incar: watch out in the rear mirror :king:

Erik
February 28th, 2005, 13:51
That V8 is just a shoter version of the M5 V10.

http://www.auto-motor-sport.de/sixcms/media.php/23/bmwm3_450.jpg

http://www.auto-motor-sport.de/d/76556

Klint
February 28th, 2005, 14:16
Originally posted by Erik
The battle goes on!

Good to see an M3 Limo again.

Definitely.

Not too keen on the styling, though. :confused:

nene
February 28th, 2005, 14:56
If the numbers come out as mentioned, the new M3 will be impressive, as usual!!!

Now about the pix, I think the saloon version looks nice, but not as hot on the coupe. Current coupe is gorgeous.
You can tell the pix are pretty much photoshop'd, in case you did nto know that yet.
Look how wide the rear wheel is on the first pix, and not as wide on the second. You can easily tell the rims are phothop'd on the first pix any way. Nothing wrong with using some skills obviously, as we did this ourselves for the RS cars many times.

It's only going to get better from here on out! ...And Benz as yet to counter-offer...

absent
February 28th, 2005, 15:25
That new M3 looks sooo much better then the M5.

5000S old skool
February 28th, 2005, 23:26
Originally posted by nene
If the numbers come out as mentioned, the new M3 will be impressive, as usual!!!

Now about the pix, I think the saloon version looks nice, but not as hot on the coupe. Current coupe is gorgeous.
You can tell the pix are pretty much photoshop'd, in case you did nto know that yet.
Look how wide the rear wheel is on the first pix, and not as wide on the second. You can easily tell the rims are phothop'd on the first pix any way. Nothing wrong with using some skills obviously, as we did this ourselves for the RS cars many times.

It's only going to get better from here on out! ...And Benz as yet to counter-offer...

I think Merc is beggining to slowly pull away from the performance sedan game. Their directing their attention more to two door coupes now. SLR McLaren, SL55, Sl65, SLK320 Kompressor, the list goes on. They are wanting to compete with the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo.

Yak
March 1st, 2005, 03:53
The new 3-series is hottie in flesh, so I don't think M3 will disappoint me either ;)