PDA

View Full Version : How Roads can be much safer

5000S old skool
February 27th, 2005, 03:39
Ok, to start, yesterday a few of my peers got into an autmobile accident which was a head on collision. because the teenage driver was coming around a corner fast and ran wide and couldnt get it back and went head on into an oncoming car.

Everytime I hear about a car accident involving a peer of mine which was the result of bad car control, it just angers me to the point where I feel no sympathy for him/her. They sould know what their car can and can't do before they try to go and be Petter Solberg or Colin McRae.

Driving schools in the United States (at least in CT) are so basic and broad that it scares me. They only teach basic traffic signs and right of way rules. There is nothing about how to control the vehicle, why things happen when they are driving, how the car works etc.. I think that they sould teach basic physics and car physics like weight transfer, oversteer, understeer, traction, tirewear when cornering, suspension etc., and should actually take you out on a track and set a certain condition where you actually experience oversteer, understeer, traction loss etc.. and they would teach how to prevent/control it, these are the essentials in keeping a car tame. If driving school went much more in depth than just a couple of traffic signs, roads would be much safer.

If you look at other vehicles aircraft, boat, and train pilots all must know how their vehicle works, and what happens to it in certain situations, and why things happen they way the do. And how to control the vehicle well. They also (at least for aircraft) have to know their vehicle inside and out.

Car drivers on the other hand just have know the right of way rules and traffic signs (here in the sates they dont even have to know how to drive a manual transmission).

If you compare the schooling of a car driver and the schooling of a pilot of another type of vehicle, you can see why there are so many autmobile accidents that kill people everyday.

J0X
February 27th, 2005, 12:54
Yep, I know what you mean. A buddy of mine took his license in San Diego a decade ago or so. Right after he passed the written test, one of the instructors went "So, come by tomorrow around 2 with a car of your choice. There's this great rental service down the block, get one there" Bear in mind, this guy didn't actually *have* his license and he was supposed to drive to the school(!).

Anyway, the next day he came by with a stick shift and after 4 right turns around the block he passed. "Yeah, that was alright I guess. Boy, that stick shift thing seems tricky, dont it?" This was from the instructor's mouth, whose experience obviously didn't involve a manual.

It's funny how a 16-year-old can drive a Hummer H1 in heavy traffic, yet he/she can't drink a glass of wine on a saturday night. (It's still 16, right?)