PDA

View Full Version : RS4 powerplant (US version)

JP4
February 25th, 2005, 14:14
I recently heard that Audi is still testing 2 powerplants for the RS4. The normally aspirated version with FSI and a turbo version. Aledgedly the FSI version does not run properly on the sulphur laden fuel over here in the US. Does anyone have more current info on this subject or did I just miss it?

:idea: :confused:

5000S old skool
February 25th, 2005, 14:31
We have 3.2 FSIs versions here in the US already and they run fine on the sulphur based fuel.

JP4
February 26th, 2005, 04:30
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
We have 3.2 FSIs versions here in the US already and they run fine on the sulphur based fuel.

Maybe it's something specific to the new 4.2L V8 in the RS4. Anyway....I hope your correct.

CarbonFibre
February 28th, 2005, 10:50
The FSI engines we get now don't do w/e the "stratified" injection is in the acronym. Apparently FSI in North America stands for "Fuel Straight Injection." This has to do with the sulphur content in the fuel. I believe we will have adopted a lower sulphur content standard by the time the RS4 goes on sale here (or so I read in a topic somewhere else).

PS: I still can't decide whether to write "sulpher" or "sulfer." I rarely use the word, so I don't really know which I should use. I used the PH version in the post because that's what everyone else used.
:confused:

JP4
February 28th, 2005, 12:39
Originally posted by CarbonFibre
The FSI engines we get now don't do w/e the "stratified" injection is in the acronym. Apparently FSI in North America stands for "Fuel Straight Injection." This has to do with the sulphur content in the fuel. I believe we will have adopted a lower sulphur content standard by the time the RS4 goes on sale here (or so I read in a topic somewhere else).

PS: I still can't decide whether to write "sulpher" or "sulfer." I rarely use the word, so I don't really know which I should use. I used the PH version in the post because that's what everyone else used.
:confused:

Actually ph or f is correct. But it's sulphur or sulfur.

And thanks for your comments. I KNEW there was something going on with the FSI issue for the US and your explanation helps.

JP4

CarbonFibre
March 1st, 2005, 05:53
yeah I messed up in the last part there; you can see I spelled it correctly in the rest of the reply :doh:

5000S old skool
March 3rd, 2005, 02:14
Do you have any idea if the US FSI version will have decreased power/torque? or will it just have decreased fuel economy?

JP4
March 3rd, 2005, 03:17
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
Do you have any idea if the US FSI version will have decreased power/torque? or will it just have decreased fuel economy?

The info that I heard was that what ever powerplant/configuration they use, both versions will be 420HP.

Yak
March 3rd, 2005, 20:49
Most likely consumption will go up, not the power/torque. Stratified injection isn't used during high-stress situations.