PDA

View Full Version : Autobahnd clear bra update

nene
February 23rd, 2005, 15:18
Okay...finally after almost 2 years of ownership, I'm having the clear bra removed.

I did not have this feature put on when I got my 2000 S4 and I used that car quite a bit, and got all sorts of rock chips all over the hood and bumper.
With the RS6, I don't use the car as much, and have not had many issues with rocks, other than a cracked windshield.

However, the Autobahnd clear bra that was put on when I first purchased the vehicle, was removed at the 25K mile service per my request.
The plastic clear tape that covers the front was really starting to look like crap. It started to lose its stealthtiness around 8 months post installation, and just kept getting worse. It was now becoming very visible, and turning a yellowish color, which was quite noticeable.

No matter how nice I washed and waxed the vehicle, the clear bra always could not improve, and it became more visible as the car was cleaner.

My relationship with this technology has been of love turning to hate unfortunately. While I brought the car in for the 25K mile service, the dealership was kind enough to call the folks that installed it, and have it removed. Interesting thing I learnt, is that the product and its installation carries a lifetime warranty. The folks at Autobahnd informed me that they would remove and reapply a new clear bra at no charge to me. I kindly passed on the offer.

Hope all folks that have installed this sort of product continue to have great time with it. Talking to the dealership, he's noticed that it seems that in some cars the product does age better than in others. When I talked to my Benz dealership however, he mentioned that there was a wave of Autobahnd customers that had theirs replaced.

Keep checking on it, and if it starts to look like it's losing the stealth factor, check with your installer, and inquire about the guarantee on the product.

Thank you.

jimmy94507
February 23rd, 2005, 17:21
My experience has been good. I had XPel product applied in Aug. 03 (on Avus Silver) and it is holding up very well - no discoloring, and has prevented lots of rock chips. Sorry you had problems with your supplier. You might consider another supplier that uses the 3M produced film?
Regards, Jim

Benman
February 23rd, 2005, 17:41
Originally posted by jimmy94507
My experience has been good.
Mine as well. Only very slight discolor (VERY slight) after a year and a half on being on the car. One thing that probably helps is the car is rarely parked in the sun for long periods of time.

Ben:addict:

nene
February 23rd, 2005, 17:53
While at work the car is parked outside, and in direct sunlight all day. No place to hide the beast from the Sun here at work. That might have contributed to some of the issues.

I've heard lots of good things about the new 3M film, but I was just getting tired of having it installed. The bugs don't seem to come off that well either.

Glad others have had good experiences.

LIRS6
February 23rd, 2005, 19:39
I've heard lots of good things about the new 3M film, but I was just getting tired of having it installed. The bugs don't seem to come off that well either.

I have the 3M product - after 9 mos, it is holding up very well. No discoloration, no peeling. But my car is garaged day/night