PDA

View Full Version : Found how to Enable/Disable OnStar light

nene
February 20th, 2005, 04:55
Looking at the Bentley manual, I found a way to enable/disable the OnStar green/red light. I believe this is the same thing the dealership does, which has been posted here before.

I can disable the backup battery, which will leave the OnStar light permanently red. My favorite choice.

If your light is already red, you can reset the backup battery counter, and than enable the backup battery, and the light will turn green again. This requires two steps with two starts of the car to work, but only about 1 minute to do using the Vag tool.

I have reset mine, and now the light is back to green. Let's see how long that lasts. However once it goes red again, I'm disabling it entirely. Will post the directions with screen shots on my site soon.

JAXRS6
February 20th, 2005, 06:37
Thanks -- I look forward to learning more!:idea:

A VAG tool is required, right? I don't have one, but somewhere there's a web site with people who own them & loan them out or share with others at an appointment. May be US only; I'm not sure.

nene
February 20th, 2005, 07:06
VAG tool locator website (http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl)

If you have not added this website to your favorites list, you should, especially if you don't own or intend to own a VAG tool.
I will post the steps very soon.