PDA

View Full Version : Valvecover Gasket Leaking

CornersWell
February 17th, 2005, 20:04
I found a new problem this morning in the form of an oil puddle when I backed the RS6 out to take it to the dealer for a minor fix. Since it was going in for service, I had the dealer take a look. The culprit is a leaking valvecover gasket. Anyone had this problem before, or is this the first reported? Car now has 14K miles on it and was serviced at 8,800 miles (Audi certification inspection at the time I purchased it). It certainly hasn't been driven hard (mainly city driving...not much call for boost). It is a daily driver, but I just noticed the leak. I have no idea how long it may have been leaking. Anyway, I just wanted everyone to be aware

Benman
February 19th, 2005, 01:24
Sorry to hear.

I know when the RS 6 was first introduced the dealers spent time with the customers (at least in my case) about proper break in. If you treated it right for the first 1000 miles and there after did the proper warm up and cool down you improved to no end the chances of having a strong oil leak free engine. I haven't even consumed 1 full qt of oil to date and I've had the Beast to the track 4 times and have enjoyed "spirited" driving on many occasions.

Did you buy new or used? I only ask to see how the car was broken in.:cheers:
Ben:addict:

CornersWell
February 19th, 2005, 22:30
Unfortunately, I bought the car with 8,800 miles on it from Riverside. The car had the Audi certification inspection and passed, but I did not know until after the purchase that the car was an Audi of America fleet vehicle. So, I can only guess how the car was driven during the break-in and by whom. My nightmare is that it was a press car used during track days!

Benman
February 21st, 2005, 15:52
Originally posted by CornersWell
My nightmare is that it was a press car used during track days!
There is no worries to it being tracked, the issue was if it was properly warmed up and cooled down before and after sessions (many of us at rs6.com have taken our Beasts to the track and the ones that did have had no more issues than the ones that have not).

If it was a press car, then sadly this may very well be an issue. I doubt those journalist car one iota about long term! Good luck all the same, the dealer should be able to trouble shoot any issues.:cheers:

JAXRS6
February 21st, 2005, 18:24
Originally posted by Benman
There is no worries to it being tracked, the issue was if it was properly warmed up and cooled down before and after sessions (many of us at rs6.com have taken our Beasts to the track and the ones that did have had no more issues than the ones that have not).

If it was a press car, then sadly this may very well be an issue. I doubt those journalist car one iota about long term! Good luck all the same, the dealer should be able to trouble shoot any issues.:cheers:

I agree on engine issues, from what I've read and what I heard this weekend from a tech who worked on the RS6 GT class racer(s) from Champion Motorsports. He was pretty convincing in saying that during testing and racing, the engine and tranny were virtually bulletproof (my word), and that even the suspension was not heavily modified from stock.

Improper cooling off after a hot run could be a factor. Journalists may not care -- or they may not know. If Audi told the journalists about the need to wait for a cooldown, the journalists might write about that, describing it as annoyance of ownership, albeit minor (but who knows what a journalist will actually write?). Audi would not want to see that in print, so I think there'a a good possibility that Audi never brought it up when dealing with journalists.

gjg
February 21st, 2005, 19:44
Journalists may not care -- or they may not know.

some of them would/should know but there are some pretty ignorant idiots out there ....... :wo: :eek: