PDA

View Full Version : cracked bumper fascia.

calemany
February 9th, 2005, 20:19
I finally drove into a snow bank ( thanks to a guy in a white buick getting in my way ) and the only damage was a crack/tear in the bumper fascia, right beside the fog lamp on the passenger side. Not even scratches to the paint. The bodyshop wants to replace it. Says it can't be fixed properly. Does anyone know of a way to fix damage to the fascia or am I doomed to pay over 1K for the replacement + work. Thanks.

JAXRS6
February 10th, 2005, 01:17
I'd take it to a couple of other body shops & see what they say.

Benman
February 10th, 2005, 18:18
What that bodyshop is telling you is correct. You can not properly repair a bumper when it's torn or cracked. The shop could fix it and it would look good for a while but eventually it will start to come apart again (due to flexing during normal everyday driving). Most reputable shops that offer a lifetime warranty (as ours does) will tell you what they can and can not fix (i.e. needs replacing).

However, shops that really NEED the business will tell you anything you want to here... "of course we can fix that, and it will look sweet too!".;)

Hope this helps

Ben:addict:

Aronis
February 11th, 2005, 22:03
Replacing the whole thing would be best from a long term basis, but if you replace that little grill and clean it up you may not notice the tear so much!

Why not wait until you hit something else, or better, someone else hits you, then the replacement will be on their DIME.

My car is getting a lot of road grim chipping here and their including the leading edge of the rear fenders and the trailing edge of the front fenders. I guess I am getting less and less concerned over the cosmetics of my car, although I still park very defensively LOL.

I'd go with the Patching, and replace it if the patch fails....

Mike

carbonLORD
February 13th, 2005, 20:23
email me.

DaveyKid
February 14th, 2005, 03:26
Don't bother reporting an insurance claim for something like this. Get it replaced by the body shop and negotiate them down to the best possible price. Sell the cracked bumper to carbonLORD in the above post to help offset the new bumper. You get a new bumper for a fraction of the cost, cL gets one as well and your insurance rates don't go up!

calemany
February 15th, 2005, 00:23
Originally posted by carbonLORD
email me.

It will be several months before being replaced. I'll let you know when it happens.