PDA

View Full Version : Tip Chip

audirs6sport
February 9th, 2005, 08:45
Simple question. Who makes the best one?

gjg
February 9th, 2005, 15:55
I would go with MTM when the time comes ... :MTM:

JAXRS6
February 10th, 2005, 01:26
Question may be simple, but the answer is not. First thing I'm wondering is, why ask only about a tip chip?

Chip brands mentioned frequently here are MTM, APR, Revo, OC.T and GIAC, but you really ought to do your own search. You're aware of warranty consequences, right?

All I can share for personal experience is that with my 1998 A4 1.8T and my 2000 S4, I got APR chips that enhanced performance & caused me no problems. But I didn't push those cars hard on a daily basis, and the RS6 is a different program...and since the RS6 is so relatively rare, and chipped cars even more rare, creating a databasis in reliability & performance is all but impossible. Unless you rely on the chip maker's data, which is not a good idea in my opinion.

Your question also raises the issue of what you mean by "best." For example, one chip might be a little faster but also more likely to cause problems. So, do you mean best performance, or best reliability? Often they do not coincide. Which is your top priority -- reliability or performance?

Knowing where you are might help, too, since some brands available in Europe cannot be had in the US -- and vice versa.

In any case a search should prove fruitful. The chip topic has come up before -- often -- and some members may choose not to reply because they already have. Still, I hope you get replies because opinions & findings on chips can change over time -- and I'd like to know the latest too!

gjg
February 10th, 2005, 12:28
...and since the RS6 is so relatively rare, and chipped cars even more rare, creating a databasis in reliability & performance is all but impossible

this is the point - anybody with some knowledge can write a software, to do it right for the application is different story. And, as we have seens here and on other boards, there are some bad examples .....

Tuner with EXPERIENCE is the key - when you have someone in US who done 3 cars and claims track record as long as week before payday you are looking for a problem down the road, unless you're willing to be the test bench.

Or go with the once who have proven record - and not one month but several years.

Unless you rely on the chip maker's data, which is not a good idea in my opinion.

Second that one.

keo
February 11th, 2005, 10:52
I got my done with MTM stage 3 which include the tip chip and it has already being driven for 8000km got to tell you I am still enjoy it.....:thumb: