PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!..New guy hoping for an Rs4?!

KravMaga
February 3rd, 2005, 04:42
HI :)

Im on the lookout for a preformance company vehicle and after seeing that Video of the Rs4 race and totally kill a BMW M5 in Russia Ive been hooked!

My only reservation is the fuel economy! UK/London fuel prices are criminal and I would very much appreciate your opinions?

The stats show 15Mpg town!..Ouch!

Cheers
K:rolleyes:

RS4Ever
February 3rd, 2005, 08:01
welcome to the best forum.

hey you'll soon notice that i didnt help much.. but just dont go "karate" all over my a$$ . . hehe.. nice nickname

15mpg is also set for the current and new S4 V8 manuals.
and that isnt exactly good here either.

is it easy to find an rs4 in london?

I know there is a knowledgable guy on forum who is around your area... you might want to check with "Tailpipe"

good luck.

that vid is definately something. :rs4addict

nene
February 3rd, 2005, 12:48
Welcome KM!!!

If you are worried about MPG/KmPG, I'm not sure you should be looking for any high performance car. I'm not talking just about Audi's, but other makes as well.
Unfortunately, you have to weigh in on what you want most. Performance and fuel economy are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Either way, if you can sort of forget the fuel economy factor, the RS4 will give you killer performance! And it's a beautiful Avant to roll into town with.

Good luck on your choice.

KravMaga
February 3rd, 2005, 15:01
Rs4ever and Nene!
Thanks for the welcome :)

I know economy and performance are at opposite ends of the scale, but I think Id go crazy in a slow car rocking back and forth trying to nudge it forward!

In retrospect as Im still 29 dont have kids, dogs etc I may be better off with an S4...

Gonna have to do a search on the forum and see what comes up....

and by the way, Rs4's can be easily bought here. Theres loads for sale on the internet just verry few on the roads!

Audihead
February 3rd, 2005, 15:19
:bye: Welcome. I think it will be a trade off. The FSI motor should deliver more fuel economy, but the catch is more power. So it might be a good wash. You will most likely get more performance with the RS4 and still have the gas mileage of the old S4. A good trade off if ya ask me.

jinglis
February 3rd, 2005, 17:16
How many miles per year do you currently do and what mpg do you get from your current car? Or to put it another way...have you calculated how much extra it will be in fuel?

KravMaga
February 3rd, 2005, 18:28
I currently get 17-20 Mpg from my daily driver, Gt4.
Though Ill be starting a new job and visiting more clients thus doing many more miles!...

Out of general curiosity, I got an insurance quote for an S4!.

Crap!.

£3400.

Im seriously looking for a loop hole here. Ive got 2 cars, both on classic car policies so they I havent been building a NCB on either, the rest of the time Ive been on company cars....result, Never made a claim and built 0% NCB!

SHIT!

This isnt good.

Mpg wise, Im happy with 24. If the Gov doesnt tax LPG Ill just get a MultiPoint injection conversion and get it tuned. More Mpg and more Bhp. Plus it becomes duel fuel and be switched whilst moving at any speed.

jinglis
February 3rd, 2005, 18:41
If you do 12,000 miles per year then the difference between 24mpg and 15mpg is about GBP 100 per month, the equivalent to one night at the boozer. Cut that one night out a month and you've only got the insurance to figure out.

KravMaga
February 3rd, 2005, 19:31
Maths has never been so attractive!

I'll find a loop hole!

Thinking of registering a company name and sending a letter to insurance company saying that Ive been working for "them" for last 6 yrs and have never had an accident in that time and gain a no claims bounus!

Wonder if it'll work?

J0X
February 3rd, 2005, 21:16
Originally posted by KravMaga
I've been working for "them" for last 6 yrs and have never had an accident in that time and gain a no claims bounus!

Wonder if it'll work?

You'll be surprised how painfully great their investigators are, and they dig stuff up about you that you didn't even know! (at least thats my experience over here)

But hey –_if you decide to go through with it, I'll play your reference. Let me know if you need my number :D

rks838
February 3rd, 2005, 23:14
Just of note, the Chevy Corvette gets 18mpg in the city and 28mpg on the highway - by far the most economical high performance car that I'm aware of. Alas, only in America...well, China too...

KravMaga and other European members - Out of curiousity, is there a possible English/European market for the Corvette? Are there many "I wish it was sold here"s?

RS4Ever
February 4th, 2005, 00:40
Originally posted by rks838
Just of note, the Chevy Corvette gets 18mpg in the city and 28mpg on the highway - by far the most economical high performance car that I'm aware of.

i had to goto edmunds.com to see for myself..

corvette:
Fuel Tank Capacity: 18 gal.

EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Manual: 18 mpg / 28 mpg
Automatic: : 18 mpg / 26 mpg

Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Manual: 324 mi. / 504 mi.
Automatic: 324 mi. / 468 mi.

this manual gets better than the auto.. unlike the S4 where manual eats more.

s4:
Fuel Tank Capacity: 17.4 gal.

EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Manual: 15 mpg / 21 mpg
Automatic: : 18 mpg / 24 mpg

Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Manual: 261 mi. / 365.4 mi.
Automatic: 313.2 mi. / 417.6 mi.

although its not a sedan and it seats only 2.. the corvette is excellent for highwaying.
but on the other hand, you lose quattro and gain plastic. and you wont be in stealth mode.

:360:

KravMaga
February 4th, 2005, 01:05
Hey J0X!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks buddy!
Thats certainly an offer that makes one smile :)...Very much appreciated.

Im doing my investigations now as to how thorough insurance companies will be as far as my "loop hole" plan is concerned.

I may even get a car traders insurance policy where I can drive anything anytime.....eg, Im a car valet or a mobile mechanic and need to be able to drive anthing I need to.

As far as the Corvette goes...
People here are too anal and there simply isnt any after care as theres no dealers.....Id love the look of muscle cars, but the resources arent in place to warrent having one....and they handle like a turd.

28Mpg for a Corvette is fantastic!...I get under 18 in a Toyota but at least can go round corners as fast as I like.:wo:

rks838
February 4th, 2005, 03:27
Oh no! I can't say anything about the handling feel of a Corvette, because I've never driven one, but a car that goes around the skidpad at .98g can practically go around any corner as fast as it wants. That pays off in laps - the Corvette beat the Porsche 911 Carrera S at the Buttonwillow track when the Porsche tested equal (actually, slightly better) acceleration times. If their acceleration is the same, what gives the Corvette the win? Handling! The Corvette also beat every other car in the field, including the new Boxster S, Lotus Elise, and - hey hey - the Viper, another good handling American car that does 1.00g on the pad and the slalom at 70mph+.

If you're talking about steering feel, some European sports cars beat it, but it still gets good, just not great ratings from the mags. Anyway, sorry I've changed the thread's topic...I have to support my beloved American cars too...carry on

rks838
February 9th, 2005, 23:18
did I kill this thread?

db79
February 10th, 2005, 19:48
With having both the Z06 and a RS6 I can tell you that the Corvette handles great but the ride quailty cannot compare with the RS6. 80mph on the highway in the ZO6 feels like 100mph which we all know is the opposite for the RS6. Besides that the ZO^ is a great example of an American muscle car for a reasonable price