PDA

View Full Version : With all the chips available, why do you suppose Audi only boosted the RS6 plus...

Hy Octane
February 1st, 2005, 18:26
up by 30 hp?
Was this only an ECU tweak or are there other bits they added?

Has anyone checked into if the ECU can be adapted for our cars?

nene
February 1st, 2005, 20:50
One word: reliability!
RS6+ had other performance related tweaks: extra cooling, slightly different suspension with addition 10mm lowering of the body. Most of the stuff was cosmetic though.

rks838
February 1st, 2005, 22:06
Also, Audi can't go too high in horsepower numbers on an outgoing model - carmakers like to leave room for improvement in performance figures for the next versions of their cars. Making a 500hp+ RS6 at the very end of its model run would not make much sense for them...although we wouldn't mind that at all.

gjg
February 2nd, 2005, 01:12
RS6+ had other performance related tweaks: extra cooling, slightly different suspension with addition 10mm lowering of the body. Most of the stuff was cosmetic though.

MMI NAV+, 19" 5 spoke titanium finish rims and + badge are the only "cosmetic" updates.

:rs6kiss:

DaveyKid
February 2nd, 2005, 04:53
Oh, did I mention transmission? It can't take the 450, let alone 480, plus the additional torque. WEAK link.

audirs6sport
February 2nd, 2005, 21:49
Originally posted by DaveyKid
Oh, did I mention transmission? It can't take the 450, let alone 480, plus the additional torque. WEAK link.

I dunno about that... So far, I'm pushing WAY over 570 ponies on stock tranny without tip chip, and it runs just fine (roughly 25,000 miles). However, yes I do agree with you that they could have placed in a MUCH better transmission.

audirs6sport
February 2nd, 2005, 21:51
Originally posted by gjg
MMI NAV+, 19" 5 spoke titanium finish rims and + badge are the only "cosmetic" updates.

:rs6kiss:

AND the most important matte black trims =)

gjg
February 3rd, 2005, 01:05
Originally posted by audirs6sport

AND the most important matte black trims =)

nope, this is yet another example how you got screwed by AoA - black trim was available on all rs6 in Europe from day one as "Black Optical Package" option PQE/FC1 for about $300 .....

Black trim standard on plus, but you could order the chrome at no charge.

:idea:

Fast One
February 3rd, 2005, 16:18
"audirs6sport"what set up are you running?

5000S old skool
February 3rd, 2005, 21:33
Originally posted by gjg
nope, this is yet another example how you got screwed by AoA - black trim was available on all rs6 in Europe from day one as "Black Optical Package" option PQE/FC1 for about $300 .....

Black trim standard on plus, but you could order the chrome at no charge.

:idea:

GAAAA!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

DaveyKid
February 4th, 2005, 18:50
audirs6sport, I hope you prove us all wrong that have blown the trans already, and it's been many. I'd love to chip but don't want to void the warranty. What kind of a set up are you running to get that much boost?

NWRS6
February 7th, 2005, 03:33
GIAC flashloader software is reversable and undetectable.

The required tip chip needs to be soldered on however so a spare TCU would be needed.

A chipped RS6 vs stock RS6 is similar to an A6 4.2 vs S6.

gjg
February 7th, 2005, 06:56
Originally posted by NWRS6

GIAC flashloader software is reversable and undetectable.

The required tip chip needs to be soldered on however so a spare TCU would be needed.

what difference does it make? if you need different EEPROMS to be soldered than "reversable and undetectable" is bs. If you need spare TCU than you can use any software and given the GIAC rs6 experience posted here I would not touch it with 10' stick.

:doh:

NWRS6
February 7th, 2005, 18:15
GIAC upgrade includes 2 "chips"

1. The Engine ECU is "flashed' and can be reversed to stock by end user at any time.

2. Transmission Control Unit is chipped with a soldered chip. In this case, to be reversible, a spare TCU is required (about $600) so that you can swap the chipped with stock.

Done this way, no one will know your RS6 was ever chipped as the flashing does NOT trip the flash counter. Swapping TCUs does not trigger any codes either provided your car is off during the switch.

gjg
February 9th, 2005, 08:34
one other difference between rs6 and plus - the sports exhaust is tuned up little and turbos spool bit faster :thumb:

audirs6sport
February 9th, 2005, 08:43
Originally posted by DaveyKid
audirs6sport, I hope you prove us all wrong that have blown the trans already, and it's been many. I'd love to chip but don't want to void the warranty. What kind of a set up are you running to get that much boost?

Well I have partial good news for you. You can chip your car and still keep your warrenty. PM me.