PDA

View Full Version : You Gotta Check THis Out

RS4Ever
January 21st, 2005, 03:11
"Michelin Lets the Air Out of Future Tire Innovation

Michelin announces two fitments for tis revolutionary non-pneumatic Tweel."

Here is the link to the article... click me (http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Industry_Tuner_News/article_983.shtml)

Click here for the gallery (http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=/Technology/Michelin/Tweel)

RS4Ever
January 21st, 2005, 03:12
another, up closer...

RS4Ever
January 21st, 2005, 03:17
desription...

gnomik007
January 21st, 2005, 09:00
What are the benefits of such wheel over ordinary one?

5000S old skool
January 21st, 2005, 18:37
Originally posted by gnomik007

wont pop... it also looks like it may be lighter. Not such a bad idea. How do those little spokes hold all that weight!?

freerider
January 21st, 2005, 18:39
Originally posted by gnomik007

I'v heard about this one before.

The benefits I'v heard where: no need for air and therefore you cannot get a flat.
The wheel will follow the surface and therefore traction will be better.
The tire will be cheaper (the rubber).

Greetz Johan

itisme
January 22nd, 2005, 15:17
that looks so strange :D

can you drive trough corners with this??

and in hight speed?.. I wouldn`t yet trust them!

Klint
January 22nd, 2005, 18:36
Originally posted by itisme
that looks so strange :D

can you drive trough corners with this??

and in hight speed?.. I wouldn`t yet trust them!

The illustrations depict the innovation as a cut out, not as a final product. :0:

5000S old skool
January 23rd, 2005, 22:58
I could see them being used frequently within 10 years or so... look very practical for pavement. However, I doubt they would make out well in winter weather.

oswald
January 24th, 2005, 03:40
Well I think it will all depend on the materials used to produce the spokes.

But the fans of bicycle-like tires (very low profile) will have a really rough ride...

clam
January 24th, 2005, 13:18
Originally posted by freerider
I'v heard about this one before.

The benefits I'v heard where: no need for air and therefore you cannot get a flat.
The wheel will follow the surface and therefore traction will be better.
The tire will be cheaper (the rubber).

Greetz Johan

Plus, you won't need to worry about sidewall stiffness anymore, b/c there is no (air)pressure on them.

Sidewall stiffness is an important issue, b/c it effects the contact patch. When the sidewalls crumple, the contact patch crumples with it. It's the reason why performance cars have big rims (thinner sidewall = stiffer). But your sidewalls can't be too stiff either, b/c then all the forces would be passed on to the contact patch.
The engineers have to find a balance.

With this technology, there is no air-pressure connecting between the sidewalls and the contact patch. You can basically make your sidewalls super-stiff, without effecting the contact patch. Maximum grip in every situation.
It's a exciting development, that could result in some major lateral Gs. Acceleration would also be improved, b/c the inertia of the tyres would be reduced. Stiffer sidewalls means the tryres won't have to 'catch up' with the wheels.

RS4Ever
January 28th, 2005, 08:00
last night on CBS or NBC on a news show.. maybe Dateline or NightLine or some other ___Line.. they showed the tweel and did a test run with the same silver audi with the newscaster in the passenger seat asking questions.

they were showing the Michelin factory and tires being recycled.

was cool.

main point from show was that "the faster you drive the more road/tire noise you hear"

they said that about at 50mph it was pretty loud.