PDA

View Full Version : fog light switch

kreggin
January 14th, 2005, 01:10
I am about to pull the trigger on a euro headlight switch. I did not want to do the us headlight switch mod to "reconnect" the fogs for use w/o headlights. Anyone in Europe know if their switch allows the fogs with the "city" lights? Or if I can simply swap switches and be able to fire up my US fogs with us "running/parking" lights? Any help appreciated.

nene
January 14th, 2005, 12:55
That's a pretty darn good idea.
Post part number too.
P L E A S E !

gjg
January 14th, 2005, 21:35
check if this is progtamable with VAG

nene
January 14th, 2005, 23:27
I've already tried using the Vag tool and played around with it. Not possible to make the change with Vag from what I saw. The new A4 and S4 I believe you change it with Vag.

kreggin
January 15th, 2005, 00:16
This is the guy at VAG.com I'm working with

martyn@vagparts.com

I'll post the pn's as soon as I have them.

nene
January 15th, 2005, 03:07
Let them know that I'd be interested in that part as well.
So might as well have them get 2 of the part.

I've been meaning to buy the US part anyway, so I could hack into it. So might as well just get the Euro and check it out, even if it does not do what we want.

thanks.

DaveyKid
January 15th, 2005, 11:42
I'm not to keen on the wiring mod to get the foglights to work with the parking lights so if the Euro switch accomplishes the same thing, I'd gladly buy one too!

kreggin
January 16th, 2005, 17:48
I'm ordering one today along with an RS6 Plus dead pedal and a euro switch for my 2001 TT Roadster - will keep you all posted.

mike03rs6
February 9th, 2005, 18:49
has anyone gotten their euro switch yet? i'm dying to know if this works as my new piaa fog light bulbs will be going in tonight!

R8isGreat
February 10th, 2005, 01:38
Would someone please post a pic or link to what a euro swith looks like, and explain the difference.

:doh:

choppo
February 22nd, 2005, 00:48
Any word on the euro headlight switchs ?
I had done the foglight mod in the 2001.5 S4 but not sure its the same relay as before and I am not going ot experiment with that.
I would commit to a switch if there available.

nene
February 22nd, 2005, 02:22
Just changing the switch won't work.
The relay is not in the same place as on the B5 S4.
Get the Bentley manual, and it might help you.

kreggin
February 26th, 2005, 03:24
I got the switches today. One for my RS6 and one for my TTR. From what I can tell with an ohm meter the voltage to the fogs is not cut when the switch is in the "parking light" position as I hear it is on the US switches. Once I have it out I will know for sure. I did notice that the TT Coupe has rear fogs in the US while the roadster does not. In Europe both have them. The TT switch has the rear fog position. I'll have to poke around to see if the wiring harness is there for them ...but I digress.

News soon.

DaveyKid
March 14th, 2005, 03:43
Curious to know if it will work. My dealer has agreed to re-wire the switch for me, but I'd rather just buy the Euro switch if it's as simple as plug and play. Thanks!

gjg
March 14th, 2005, 06:41
originally posted by kreggin

I did notice that the TT Coupe has rear fogs in the US while the roadster does not. In Europe both have them.

rear fog light mandatory in some (most) countries.

gjg
March 14th, 2005, 08:12
in Europe that is ... bit slow this morning ... :hihi:

marks6
March 14th, 2005, 15:46
In the UK rear offside fog is mandatory only, not two rear fogs... I got pulled by the police a month or so ago for having front fogs on with headlamps as well while driving down an A road... visibility wasn't great but to be honest I had forgotten they were on as I had left them to shift people out of the way coming down the M1... (I know I shouldn't). Anyway the police in the UK are getting pretty strict with front fogs, they let me off a fine and more importantly the 3 points they said they could have given me... as I already have 6 that was welcome news otherwise my insurance, well I dread to think :vgrumpy:

sturs6
March 14th, 2005, 21:24
Someone please explain the operation of the Euro switch to this idiot or should I say un-informed.:vhmmm: :vhmmm: :confused: :confused:

gjg
March 14th, 2005, 22:06
... should I say un-informed. :vhmmm: ..... perhaps "technically challenged" would be a good excuse ...
:harass:

Euro switch, as I have it, comes with parking/driving light on, front foglight on and front/rear foglight on. And you can have the foglights on with parking lights only ....

sturs6
March 14th, 2005, 23:26
Originally posted by gjg
... should I say un-informed. :vhmmm: ..... perhaps "technically challenged" would be a good excuse ...
:harass:

Euro switch, as I have it, comes with parking/driving light on, front foglight on and front/rear foglight on. And you can have the foglights on with parking lights only ....
Thanks George for being so quick to reply and so nice about me comment of technically challenged

gjg
March 14th, 2005, 23:40
u r welcome - don't feel bad ... BTDT

sturs6
March 15th, 2005, 02:53
Originally posted by gjg
u r welcome - don't feel bad ... BTDT
:vhmmm:

gjg
March 15th, 2005, 07:52
Originally posted by sturs6

:vhmmm:

"technically challenged" ....... I am very good at it myself ..

nene
March 15th, 2005, 21:27
The switch we are talking about is the one you use to turn on your headlights.
The US version, we think has been 'clipped'. If you notice, while just turning it once to enable the driving lights (not xenons), you can also pull it out to turn on the fogs. However, no power is being delivered, because the fogs won't turn on.
We long assumed that this same exact switch in Europe was not cliped, so by simply replacing that cylindrical piece, you should be able to get the fogs to go on.

Interestingly enough though, the Canadians use the fogs as their daylight runtime lights. The change is not in the switch, but instead it is in the J9 relay, which is under the dash. I have looked at the wiring diagrams for both US and Canadian cars, as part of my Bentley manual. I can share the PDF if anyone needs it. That is why I did not think that simply changing the switch would work. But we're still waiting on the response.

DaveyKid
March 29th, 2005, 07:54
Curious if it ever worked.

GEN XER
April 7th, 2009, 18:12
Whatever happened here? Im looking to do this now does it work or is it to labor intense?

GEN XER
April 8th, 2009, 14:49
Does anybody know?

DuckWingDuck
April 8th, 2009, 15:27
Tim I think got his to work, as he needed to modify his US spec'ed RS6 to drive in Canada.

GEN XER
April 8th, 2009, 16:40
Who is Tim?

DHall1
April 8th, 2009, 16:53
Bigglebootle

Who is Tim?

chairman2300
April 8th, 2009, 17:10
Also interseted. Someone track this guy down

DuckWingDuck
April 8th, 2009, 17:37
hmm, haven't actually seem him in a cuple days, try to send him a PM, Bigglezworth is his screenname.

GEN XER
April 8th, 2009, 20:00
Now we are talking.

vinny
April 10th, 2009, 18:55
yes!! here, here! - i dont know what you guys are wanting to change/swop....
on the South Afrcian cars, the park lights have to be on to turn foglights on... and as far as i know, we get what europe gets...

GEN XER
April 10th, 2009, 23:42
yes!! here, here! - i dont know what you guys are wanting to change/swop....
on the South Afrcian cars, the park lights have to be on to turn foglights on... and as far as i know, we get what europe gets...

Do you have to have your headlights on when you have your foglights on because we do.

Bigglezworth
April 11th, 2009, 15:15
I'm clearly a day late and a dollar short for this thread. As a quick clarification to everything, ALL Canadian issued cars for almost 20 years require DRL's (Daytime Running Lights). Canada adopted the use of DRL's January 1, 1990. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp I think the US and Austraila are the last major countries to still not adopt this as a standard requirement on all cars. The lights are commonly referred to as Europeon lights and if you drive a Japanese made car, frequently referred to as JDM lights on those rides.

DRL's come on automatically and all by themself as soon as the ignitition switch is turned on. They are not operated with any of the other lights on the car. There are MANY cars in which the DRL's are merely a lower intensity version of the main low level beams. These are predominently the lower end cars and cars that were issued in the early 90's. Since that time lots of the manufacturers have included in their designs the ability for DRL's to operate on their own.

For the Audi's, they utilize the "fog lights" as the DRL's on all Canadian issued cars. This way the HID's don't get used. On my Volvo S60R the head light assembly had a specific DRL built into it and didn't use the fogs. It's really all a matter of how the manufacturer wants to accomplish the task. If you are importing a US issue car into Canada that was manufactured after the date that DRL's became mandatory, you will have to modify it so perform this function.

I imported my RS6 in July '08 and opted to merely hard wire the fogs to an ignition activated line. In my instance I bypassed the switch so with a jumper that taped into the ignition operated line that ran to the light switch on the harness and confirmed with test light which line became hot when the fogs were switched on. Tap into it and voila - instant real time DRL's. I can still control my park lights, head lights (high and low beam), and rear fog lights independently as originally designed. I had 'understood' that a hardwire could be eliminated with the use of VAG-COM effort, but I didn't have the VAG at the time so opted to spend an hour doing the other way. I passed inspection and that was the important part.

Tim

vinny
April 11th, 2009, 22:00
ok guys, heres the thing - on the south african models, we have the clipped switch for headlights.
this switch controls park lights, dipped beams, and main beams - theres a seperate switch on the dash above the radio to individually switch front fogs on and rear fogs on....
i can switch park lights on and then switch front fogs on at the dash...
is this what you all want??

GEN XER
April 11th, 2009, 22:25
Oh ok you have a seperate switch. Thats what is different.