PDA

View Full Version : RS4 release

5000S old skool
January 5th, 2005, 12:23
Does anyone know for sure if the RS4 will be released in the US? because I'm reading an article on audiworld about the Auto Show tour in the US. They only mention the B7 A4 and the A3. Nothing about the RS4. Perhaps something for surprise?:vhmmm:

quattro
January 5th, 2005, 12:40
The RS4 B7 will be released in Geneva in March.

So you americans have to wait. :boring:

5000S old skool
January 5th, 2005, 12:55
damn..:doh:

Audihead
January 6th, 2005, 15:32
If they can make a business case for it. If they can, it should follow @ a year later or so. This according to the ever so brilliant Audi marketing strategy.

:s4addict:

tailpipe
January 7th, 2005, 11:38
Speaking of the RS4 release, we can expect to see the official press launch just prior to the Geneva Auto show in March. The exact timing will depend on what other manufacturers are doing. I fully expect Audi to upstage the launch of the new BMW 3-Series. So middle to late February is when we'll get our first glimpse of the beast.

Very much looking forward to it.

Audihead
January 7th, 2005, 15:30
If you, or anyone goes, please post some pics. I know everyone is jonesing for the real deal.

:s4addict:

tailpipe
January 7th, 2005, 21:35
I will be at Geneva., hopefully on the Press day. I will take pictures. I will post them on this website. Expect Audi to release its own pictures before then.

QuattroFun
January 9th, 2005, 21:56
Fantastic, Tailpipe.

RS4 specs should be here shortly but a test drive is still distant, though. Meanwhile, as we know the 4.2 in the S4 generates 344 @ 7000 & 410 @ 3500. For RS4 4.2 FSI, some people have cheered prospects of a 420bhp @ 8000, which as one example is consistent with only 440 @ 3500. I love revving and a high redline at least as much as the next guy, but I would like to see as an example rather 420 @ 7000 & 500 @ 3500 - and not only for longevity. Gearing plays in of course, but I wonder if a 1.8 tonne (yes, I know what many are dreaming of but it will not happen) Avant will really feel fast enough in the real world ala RS6 or even old RS4 Avant if the engine tuning is too peaky and you have to downshift with a manual to generate punch, which is what I currently have to do with my 1.735 tonne S4 sedan.

RS4Ever
January 10th, 2005, 07:25
Originally posted by tailpipe
I will be at Geneva., hopefully on the Press day. I will take pictures. I will post them on this website. Expect Audi to release its own pictures before then.

:dig:

kujo
January 17th, 2005, 01:54
The US market is slated to receive 40% of all RS4 production.

We won't wait a year longer than Europe, just about 5-6 months.

Production will start in May/June.
We MIGHT see it by years end, but more likely by early 2006.:rs4addict

This is from an email that was forwarded to me, from an Audi insider...

rks838
January 17th, 2005, 05:15
Does 40% translate to, maybe, 2000 examples? Maybe ~1000 like the RS6? I'm worried, despite the love it gets from people like us, that the RS4 won't sell. I bought my RS6 in August '04, a whole year after the cars came over! However, I think that was more Audi's mistake than a lack of interest from potential buyers. Audi brought 860 over, then some executive idiot said "let's send 150+ more to the States!" Many interested people had been told, "sorry, they're all sold out" and gone on to buy other cars, so U.S. dealers basically had 150 unwanted RS6's sitting on their lots. I bought mine at $72,000 when the sticker said $86,xxx - they were desperate.
At $10K - $15K more than the M5 and equal to the better-known E55, I don't think Audi's RS6 would have been successful if they had brought over a greater amount to the States. Audi's RS needs more of a rep in this country to reach AMG and M volume (and prices too?), so as long as Audi doesn't bring too many over and doesn't overprice it, I'd guess it'll be successful.

kujo
January 17th, 2005, 05:25
I think that if Audi 'stealerships' try to get over sticker for them, they'll be punished by that.

Audi made 8000 RS6s.
1,000 came to the States, but at 86+K. As you said, only enthousiasts like us would go for that.

There are lots of other cars that will be under or at 70K that will be just as fast.
Caddy CTS-V, STS-V
M3(4)
CLS55 AMG
etc....

10-15k over the S4 price and they'll be selling em quickly.
Anything over that, and from folks I've talked to, won't go for it.

I mean the STS-V will be 440hp and 60k.
Not that I like the Caddy, but there's lots of HP to be had now in the 50-70k range.

I don't expect to see Lots of us in RS4s.

Just us Audi enthusiasts that know what we're getting is worth every penny.

just my .o2

I, personally can't wait.

But as you said, you can get RS6's in mint condition now for 65-70K, so if it's 75K+ for the RS4, I'll look for a mint RS6.... :rs4addict

kj

Benman
January 17th, 2005, 16:03
Originally posted by kujo
I think that if Audi 'stealerships' try to get over sticker for them, they'll be punished by that.

kj
I think there will definately be some dealers who will indeed ask for more than sticker (stupid tax:D ). Some will pay it, most won't. I for one (if I end up getting the car) will not, no matter how much I like it. The sticker price (at $70K+) will be high enough.

As previously mentioned it would be better for AOA to not import more than what is initially intended so as to not have RS models sitting on show room floors for too long. Factor in ZERO commercials here in the States and these cars get next to NILL advertising (only a few ads in car mags).

Ben:addict:

rks838
January 18th, 2005, 04:28
I've seen the magazines peg the STS-V at $75,000 and the CLS55 at $90,000, but I still don't expect Audi to go above $65,000 or so, hopefully more like $60,000. The RS4 has to compete in its size class and not aim for prices from the midsize-to-full size class, such as the STS and CLS. While they have the S4 to do that already, they still have to keep prices close to the compact/close-to-compact size class, so I wouldn't say anything above $65,000 (about the same as a loaded C55 or M3).

All we can do is speculate on the pricing, but just maybe an Audi exec will stop buy here and take a hint from some huge RS fans...

kujo
January 18th, 2005, 04:39
I didn't realise the CLS55 AMG was in the 90 range. WoW....

I was just mentioning the STS.
The CTS-v will be 400hp and 55k, that was more the point.

Either way, I hope it's at or below the 70 mark.
in the 60's as you guessed would be key to major sales.

But then again, we don't want EVERYONE drivin around an RS4 now do we ? :rs4addict

I'm usually a pretty patient guy.
But waiting for this car is going to kill me.

And having to wait an additional 6 months for an Avant, if I do, will be torture....

kj

Benman
January 18th, 2005, 15:58
Originally posted by rks838
I still don't expect Audi to go above $65,000 or so, hopefully more like $60,000.

All we can do is speculate on the pricing, but just maybe an Audi exec will stop buy here and take a hint from some huge RS fans...
I have yet to see any high performance car UNDERCUT the price of the last model (Viper, M5, M3, E55, Porsche, etc..). The last (Mk I) RS 4 carried an equivalent U.S. price of $70K. There is no way they will price the all new model sub $70K. Fans of the RS 4 sould start preparing now for a $70-$75K sticker.

Remember all the mags were guessing $65-$70K for the RS 6 (and I have the piles to prove it:D ) and that wasn't even close! The price jump from an S6 to a RS 6 was $20K ($62K vs $83K)! I suspect that since the S4 sells for @ $53-$55K, a jump of $15K is to be expected. This will not make all of us happy but think about it. If the RS 4 was "only" $60K, who the heck would buy a crappy S4? Think about it. If the "halo" model was only $5,000.00 or $6,000.00 dollars more, than I doubt that many would keep buying the now obsolete S4 and sales of that car would TANK! Also, if the (handbuilt at quattro GmbH) RS 4 was only $5 or $6K more than the S4 I would suspect that it wasn't much better than the S4, how else could they not have a big price hike? This will not be the case, the RS 4 will be NIGHT and DAY superior than the S4, just as the RS 6 is NIGHT and DAY better than the S6, and price will be sacrificed.

It won't be cheap, just as the RS 6 wasn't cheap, but for those that ventured, we got something truely special.:cheers:
Ben:addict: :rs4addict

rks838
January 18th, 2005, 16:04
You're right - we don't want the RS4 to be as common as an M3. It's coming this summer - the RS6 and S4 came summer '03, it seems like a marketing strategy to me.

Benman, that sadly makes sense. I had no idea RS4's were $70,000 U.S. If that was more than $30K above the B5 S4, then this RS4 could be...$85,000!!!! I guess $75K makes sense, cause if they want to differentiate the RS4 in performance from the S4, they probably have to differentiate the price too.

But there WILL be people who look at the RS4's price and tell themselves they could buy a bigger, more comfortable, almost-as-fast STS-V or something like that, and skip on the RS4. That's a hell of a price for such a small car - how many Americans are gonna go for it?

Benman
January 18th, 2005, 16:09
Originally posted by rks838
we don't want the RS4 to be as common as an M3.
Amen. THose things are as common as the cold.

kujo
January 19th, 2005, 03:00
I totally agree Ben.

I, for one, love my Audi.
I'll pay top dollar for the RS4, if I feel it's worth it.

If the sticker is above 75k, I won't custom order one, I'll just wait until there is one in the US to drive and then decide if it is worth the substantial sum.

I guess all us RS lovers will just have to wait, kinda patiently, until March.
Then fly to Geneva... :rs4kiss:

Kurt

Finnus
January 19th, 2005, 13:31
Ben,

I think you're right on with the price quotes. It will be interesting to see if Audi plays the limited edition card again.

I think people will in fact step up to the plate for that $70-$75 number. In the land of buy now, pay later (big debt), what's another $10,000. LOL

Finnus
:addict:

tailpipe
January 19th, 2005, 14:03
Yeah, the RS4 has to be special. Very special. Or else potential buyers will consider alternatives.

One alternative is the new A6 Avant. It looks like it is going to be a great car. (The 3.2 litre V-6 FSI, 3.0 litre diesel and 4.2 litre V-8 engine versions all go exceptionally well in the saloon/ sedan version.) Add the new air suspension, which is only available in the Avant at this time, and you have a capable all-weather high-performance machine.

The new 4.2 litre FSI engine will almost certainly go in the A6 at some point and the first time we may see it could be next year's S6. This should be amazing and on a par with today's RS6 in terms of handling even if straight line performance isn't quite as quick.

The RS4 will need to return equal or better fuel economy than current S4. The existing tank size delivers too few miles between stops. If fuel economy is worse, this will be a serious factor affecting demand IMHO. The more fuel efficient and powerful FSI 4.2 litre V8 would address this problem.

However, if Audi puts in the 4.2 litre FSI lump in both RS4 and S6, maybe the S6 is a better bet because of the air suspension.

kujo
January 19th, 2005, 14:15
The S6 is slated to get a new V10 !!!!!!!

tailpipe
January 19th, 2005, 14:33
Kujo,

Not according to what I've heard:

S6: V-8 4.2 FSI naturally aspirated
RS6: V-10 5.2 FSI with bi-turbos
S8: V-10 FSI naturally aspirated

Truth is no one knows, because they haven't finally decided. What I can assure you is that V-8 FSI will go in A6. Whether it is as a replacement for current 4.2 litre V-8 or as the powerplant of next S6, is probably irrelevant.

The new V-8 4.2 litre FSI engine is production ready, while the new V-10 5.2 litre FSI engine is still very much in development. Next S6 slated for early 2006. First V-10 due end of 2006.

The V-8 4.2 litre FSI is according to all reports phenomenal. Much more powerful than current 4.2 in A4, A6 and A8. It is also munches less fuel. I expect this motor to humble V-10 in BMW M5.

:alig: :argue:

kujo
January 20th, 2005, 06:07
Originally posted by tailpipe
Kujo,

Not according to what I've heard:

S6: V-8 4.2 FSI naturally aspirated
RS6: V-10 5.2 FSI with bi-turbos
S8: V-10 FSI naturally aspirated

Truth is no one knows, because they haven't finally decided. What I can assure you is that V-8 FSI will go in A6. Whether it is as a replacement for current 4.2 litre V-8 or as the powerplant of next S6, is probably irrelevant.

The new V-8 4.2 litre FSI engine is production ready, while the new V-10 5.2 litre FSI engine is still very much in development. Next S6 slated for early 2006. First V-10 due end of 2006.

The V-8 4.2 litre FSI is according to all reports phenomenal. Much more powerful than current 4.2 in A4, A6 and A8. It is also munches less fuel. I expect this motor to humble V-10 in BMW M5.

:alig: :argue:

You're totally correct.
My bad.
S8 and RS6=V10
S6 4.2 V8fsi
That is what I heard too.

kj

Iceman
January 23rd, 2005, 07:58
S6 = 4.2 V8 FSI
That is what I heard too.
kj
Yes that's right, the new S6 will have the same V8 4.2-liter FSI engine as the RS4 only with 380 bhp.
Audi's new V8 4.2 liter FSI will go in 3 versions in production January 2005 and will delivers 345 bhp (version 1) and comes availeble for the A8 4.2, A6 4.2 and S4 4.2, 380 bhp (version 2) for the audi S6 4.2, 425 bhp (version 3) Audi RS4.
The new S8 will have a Bi-turbo version of it with 500 bhp (No V10 FSI).

wfg, Hans.

sebdtc
January 23rd, 2005, 12:16
Hi,

the 4.2 FSI is already in production ? and for the current S4 ???
i´ve never heard that, where did you take these news ? do you know which production models will be equipped with that new engine ?

Sebastien

Iceman
January 23rd, 2005, 12:23
Originally posted by sebdtc
Hi,

the 4.2 FSI is already in production ? and for the current S4 ???
i´ve never heard that, where did you take these news ? do you know which production models will be equipped with that new engine ?

Sebastien
Audi have start de V8 4.2 FSI engine production in January in its engine plant in Hongary.
The introduction in the car models will take place spring 2005.
The 345 bhp version wil go in to de A6, A8 and S4 to replace de current 4.2 without FSI.

wfg, Hans.

QuattroFun
January 23rd, 2005, 18:31
Those expecting the FSI to be both much more powerful as well as much more frugal will be disappointed on the latter account - it is worthwhile to read the tests of the new A6/A4 3.2 FSI. That engine appears good but frugal it aint...

kujo
January 23rd, 2005, 18:42
As long as it isn't any worse than my S4, I'll be happy with the RS's FSI....

Of course us US folks will end up paying a Gas Guzzler tax on it, again.

sebdtc
January 24th, 2005, 07:45
Hi,

am I the only one to be suprised by this engine change in the S4 ? why a few months only after the facelift ? why haven't they done everything at the same time ?
But my crucial question is : until when should i wait to place my order to get that FSI engine in my new S4 ?

Regards
Seb

tailpipe
January 24th, 2005, 10:57
If you can, wait for 4.2 FSI.

Powerful with lots and lots of low-down torque and frugal compared to current V8 4.2.

I think Audi's common-rail diesel 4.0 litre TDI V8 will actually be its most outstanding engine. Try current 3.0 litre TDI V6 to get a taste of it. Either of these engines with Quattro are superb.

sebdtc
January 24th, 2005, 11:02
I can wait, it's not a pb.

Actually i've tried the 3.0 TDI with the tiptro gearbox, and i found it too soft. But my big pb with diesel engines is related to the redline ... switching gears at 4200 rpm is not very sportly, you always change gears, and i don't like that. But i recognize it's a very good engine.

5000S old skool
January 24th, 2005, 14:08
Originally posted by Iceman
Yes that's right, the new S6 will have the same V8 4.2-liter FSI engine as the RS4 only with 380 bhp.
Audi's new V8 4.2 liter FSI will go in 3 versions in production January 2005 and will delivers 345 bhp (version 1) and comes availeble for the A8 4.2, A6 4.2 and S4 4.2, 380 bhp (version 2) for the audi S6 4.2, 425 bhp (version 3) Audi RS4.
The new S8 will have a Bi-turbo version of it with 500 bhp (No V10 FSI).

wfg, Hans.

So which car is getting the N/A V10? I know that RS6 is getting V10 Biturbo. So which gets the N/A version?

tailpipe
January 24th, 2005, 15:07
I'm pretty sure that S8 gets first version of V-10.