PDA

View Full Version : C230 Kompressor as a loaner

JAXRS6
December 31st, 2004, 09:01
OK, so this isn't about a particularly fast car, but it offered an outstanding combination of ride comfort & nimble handling, while never losing grip. My girlfriend has a C240 and the Kompressor engine's lighter weight, plus revamped front suspension for '05, make it a far better performer -- slightly faster, much better handling, and outstanding fuel economy...for about $3-4K less! EPA figures of 25 city/32 highway seem right on target -- for the automatic, no less. Plus the 4 cylinder engine is very smooth with no roughness at idle, and shifts are silky too. Makes the C240 moot in my opinion.

Returning to my RS6, I was as always thrilled with its acceleration. But this little Benz is a real contender -- won me over to the extent I'll consider one when next looking for new transportation. My RS6 has been in the shop enough that I may choose not to go for such a high tech, high performance approach next time, since each trip adds 100 miles to the odo (well over 1000 miles to date) & takes a half-day out of my busy schedule. Its panache & prestige are nice but start to wear thin after repeated trips for service. And the C230 is no slouch in looks, with my pale gold loaner earning a compliment from some younger guys who saw it & me in a supermarket parking lot.

I've never owned a Benz, am a little concerned about declining quality per J D Power, but my girlfriend's 2002 C240 has had little trouble.