PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problems solved for now....

DaveyKid
December 29th, 2004, 02:48
My second transmission wasn't faulty after all. (Which restores about 1% faith back in ZF). The dealer had to replace a faulty ECM which wasn't allowing proper communication between the engine and the transmission. Although it took them the better part of 2 weeks to get the part from Germany, all appears to be well for now. Why the original ECM failed after the replacement transmission was put in is beyond any of us involved in this particular repair, unless someone can shed a little light. Maybe incompatable software (old ECM/new trans??). Who knows.

As a good will gesture, AOA offered me an additional 1 yr/12K warranty extension, which I'll gladly take.

My wife thinks I'm completely nuts since I practically wanted to sleep in the car the day I got it back, but some people just don't get it! :wo:

Benman
December 29th, 2004, 16:45
Originally posted by DaveyKid
My second transmission wasn't faulty after all. (Which restores about 1% faith back in ZF).

My wife thinks I'm completely nuts since I practically wanted to sleep in the car the day I got it back, but some people just don't get it! :wo:

No they don't:D

Glad to hear that the tranny is good but sorry about the wait. One problem with really rare cars (comparatively speaking) is that the service is just not as good (when parts are involved) as the common ones. After all, which parts will they keep in stock, the ones for a car that only has @1000 examples in the whole country, or for the 50,000 A6s?
Sucks for us:(
Ben:addict:

DaveyKid
December 30th, 2004, 12:40
I totally understand, just frustrating at times. No big deal though. It's the price you pay to drive such an exquisite piece of machinery. If I didn't want to wait, I could always trade it in for a Taurus!

Benman
December 30th, 2004, 19:49
I totally understand, just frustrating at times. No big deal though. It's the price you pay to drive such an exquisite piece of machinery. If I didn't want to wait, I could always trade it in for a Taurus!
Exactly. You know that Camry owners rarely have to wait on parts since there's @ 400,000 sold EVERY year here in the States!:bigeyes:
Ben:addict:

cpeckvt
February 27th, 2005, 22:40
Was the ECM the main computer or the tranny ECM

DaveyKid
February 28th, 2005, 06:38
After the main ECU was replaced, I noticed my cruise control wasn't working. Thought perhaps a fuse, relay, whatever. Didn't think it was the stalk though. Come to find out, Hy Octane, who I think is also on this board and I know is on the AW/RS6 board, experienced the same problem with the replacement of his ECU. Apparently when switching ECU's, all the settings are suppose to transfer but for some strange reason, the cruise control value does not. I confered with Ross-Tech, as I have a VAG tool, they gave me the right codes to enter, and now it's working.

Aronis
February 28th, 2005, 13:58
New ECU from Germany....

Do you guys know if the actual physical hardware for the ECU is the same for all Audi's and it's just a matter of programing it for a specific car? If so then getting an new ECU should be less of an issue, since they need them for all the cars.

If it is RS6 specific, that could be a problem three or four years from now if an ECU goes 'bad'.

Mike

audirs6sport
March 1st, 2005, 07:44
After the main ECU was replaced, I noticed my cruise control wasn't working. Thought perhaps a fuse, relay, whatever. Didn't think it was the stalk though. Come to find out, Hy Octane, who I think is also on this board and I know is on the AW/RS6 board, experienced the same problem with the replacement of his ECU. Apparently when switching ECU's, all the settings are suppose to transfer but for some strange reason, the cruise control value does not. I confered with Ross-Tech, as I have a VAG tool, they gave me the right codes to enter, and now it's working.

What's the new code?

DaveyKid
March 1st, 2005, 10:39
Factory fresh ECU's often come with cruise control de-activated. If this is the case, there will not be a letter "G" in the Component field of VAG-COM when connected to the Engine.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Login - 11]
Enter 11463 to activate cruise control
[Do It!]

After doing this procedure, there should be a letter "G" in the Component field.

CornersWell
March 1st, 2005, 13:32
I asked this question on AW, as well, but by how rpms was the tranny slipping between shifts? My RS6 has the same phenomena, but it only seems to be around 500 rpms. What did you say to the dealer/AoA to get them to repair/replace the faulty parts, and what exactly was replaced. Thanks, CW