PDA

View Full Version : RS6 and snow: First Impressions

SpinEcho
December 19th, 2004, 20:59
I've been looking forward to my first winter with the RS6 with high hopes that it will perform well in the snow. First impressions on 225-width Dunlop M3's are that it will not disappoint. I haven't had the opportunity to try any deep snow driving yet, but driving on lightly covered, paved and gravel roads has lead to a few observations:

First, the car is surprisingly easy to power oversteer - almost as easy as my wife's 330i, in fact. In this respect, it's much nicer on snow than my TT. The TT has never impressed me in snowy corners; the Haldex and soft low-end response combine to create perpetual understeer, with oversteer only available if you are very brave and heavy on the throttle.

Second, straight line traction is impressive (as expected), and the car does not seem as bothered by ruts and snow/slush ridges as either the TT or 330i.

Can't wait for the next big snowfall! :wo:

Aronis
December 19th, 2004, 22:43
We have plenty of snow here and I routinely drive through drifts 9 to 12 inches deep without a problem.

The Enemy is ICE under SNOW, I don't care what tires you have or if you have 100 wheel drive, ICE under SNOW sucks the life out of your road feel and the car simply goes straight on as I found out in my A6 4.2 a couple of winters ago. I had 225's on that car. Just slowly stopped in a pile of snow, with all four wheels still spinning...funny to see it up on snow trying to go :)

On my RS6 I am using 255's, Winter Sports and the full width has not been a problem at all! Of course I am much more careful when I know we had a change in temp that produces ice followed by snow LOLOLOL

Mike

SpinEcho
December 19th, 2004, 22:50
Yes, the enemy is ice!

We have studded Nokians on the 330i; it helps, but the trade-off is sh*t handling and even straight line stability goes to hell. I elected not to put studded tires on the Beast...

Benman
December 20th, 2004, 00:55
Originally posted by SpinEcho
Yes, the enemy is ice!

Nice write up. Watch out for ice and have a blast!

Aronis
December 20th, 2004, 02:06
Originally posted by SpinEcho
Yes, the enemy is ice!

We have studded Nokians on the 330i; it helps, but the trade-off is sh*t handling and even straight line stability goes to hell. I elected not to put studded tires on the Beast...

Studded tires are a bit noisy too. (understatement)

LOL

Mike

smeeg
December 20th, 2004, 05:18
i ride a a4, and jeeze when i pulled out of work today while watching incognito spin all his tires, i dedcided to follow him and cut my wheel and pinned it(woo fun in empty parking lots) anyway i was a little disapointed in the fact i had to slow down because of people in front of me doing 10mph, the car did very well...first time driving an audi in snow :) cant wait for more snow!

marks6
December 20th, 2004, 17:05
Remember 4WD doesn't mean any different than 2WD when it comes to braking... I put a Subaru in an Alpine ditch many years ago while whizzing down a slope and attempting a gentle turn. The guy in front (with chains) braked and when I realised I couldn't stop in time had to steer around him leading to a gentle slo mo slide into a ditch - fortunately no damage. I'm guessing once the big Audi slides on ice there's little to be done.

What I did find fantastic was accelerating going up hill in various ski resorts in both the Subaru and the Audi. The car just flies up hills and of course the only issue is side slipping when you brake. Once chained up though if the snow is reliable it's fun flying around and safer (but noisy).

Finally, don't do what a woman did as I dug my car out of the ditch with some friends. She spent about 20 minutes putting the chains on the front wheels of her BMW, got in and then couldn't work out why she was still stuck... bless her, RWD :dance:

Erik
December 20th, 2004, 17:24
What's wrong with studded tires? :D

http://www.rs6.com/pics/RS6/RS6-ICE-2004-15.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/quattro-Idre-11.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3604&highlight=idre :dance:

Aronis
December 20th, 2004, 17:37
Nothing Wrong with Studded Tires..

Just very noisy on the dry roads !

:)

I'll second the Chains on the Front Tires story, with a guy here who had his Snows Mounted on his Maxima a few years ago, too bad the garage put the snows on the rears, a front wheel drive car LOLOLOL:360:

Yes, every winter I make fun of that guy, of course now he drives an S4....funny he will not race with me :)

GoFastKindaGuy
December 23rd, 2004, 04:07
A few years back, I launched my A6 4.2 at a 3 foot drift which I thought was fluffy and light. I found myself high and dry -- framed out on wind-packed snow with all four snow tires spinning lazily in the air. There are limits.:doh:

A week later, my wife did a similar thing in her C4.
I politely pulled her out and said nothing.:snow:

Finnus
December 23rd, 2004, 14:09
I keep my Beast garaged all winter and use the S4 as the winter wheels. I had Dunlop M2 winter sports on the S4. I was very disappointed with their performance. I finally wore them out last winter (their third).

This year I bought Blizzaks on separate rims. They pretty much suck on dry pavement, but in the snow they're great - and that's what I was looking for.

Finnus
:addict:

Aronis
December 23rd, 2004, 21:39
Originally posted by Finnus
I keep my Beast garaged all winter and use the S4 as the winter wheels. I had Dunlop M2 winter sports on the S4. I was very disappointed with their performance. I finally wore them out last winter (their third).

This year I bought Blizzaks on separate rims. They pretty much suck on dry pavement, but in the snow they're great - and that's what I was looking for.

Finnus

Blizzaks used to be the best, but Michelin and Pirelli have ecllipsed the blizzaks, at least acording to Tire Rack.

The Pirelli Winter 240's are actually quite good on the dry roads, speed rated to 149 mph, as opposed to the Blizzaks which are limited to 90, I think the MZ02 model is rated at 120 it I recall and gives a better ride than the original Blizzaks.

Mike

Finnus
December 23rd, 2004, 22:00
Mike,

I bought the Blizzaks through Tirerack. They're rated to 100 mph which is fine for the S4. I just didn't want to spend more for a more highly rated tire.

In October I had 3 flats in a 10-day period!!! 2 on the RS6. I spent $1,000 on tires, then another $1,000 on the snow tires and rims. I was just sick of buying tires!

The poor ride quality on dry pavement just makes the RS6 that much more of a treat to drive.

Finnus

Aronis
December 24th, 2004, 01:16
Oh, I hear ya.

Last year when I got my RS6 I put my snows on that same day, so the summer tires had maybe 10 miles on them!

When I swapped to summer tires that spring, I got a nail in one that day!!! Got it plugged but, ended up getting a replacement tire two weeks later, did not trust the plug....

It sucks because I noticed the nail when I was putting my snows back on since we had a freak snow storm that next day!

Ouch...rather get a flat on the snows, they are less expensive and I don't mind riding with a plug on the winter tires since I would not necesarily stress them that much with winter type driving.

I did not want the noise of the Blizzaks, I tried the Winter 210s on my A6 4.2 in 2000, and was pleased with those.

I got the winter 240s for the RS6 since the tire rack was out of the narrower 210s, those run 225 if I recall, the 240's run at 255 width...

Anyway they are not that much more expensive than the blizzaks and the extra load ability of the Pirellis linked with an occasional nice dry road day, lets me play in the winter too.

Mike