PDA

View Full Version : e55 group pissed

audirs6sport
December 19th, 2004, 11:06
http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=961351#post961351post961351

JAXRS6
December 19th, 2004, 18:36
Many Benz owners seem extremely sensitive to any notion that their cars do not have better resale than Audis. History proves them right, of course, but my research into resale values for the RS6 compared to an 03 E55 has shown the difference to be negligible.

For example, figures I checked yesterday at edmunds.com showed a basic dealer trade-in price of $56K for the Benz vs. $60K for the Audi and, roughly speaking, that $4K gap holds up for other prices too (e.g.. sell to private party). Which makes Audi look good at first glance, but since the RS6 cost $6,700 more when new (in the US), the current difference of $4K is less impressive.

So I did the math and determined that the Benz has lost 26% of its value, compared to 27% for the RS6 (per Edmunds). Meaning that Benz owners are still correct.

Personally, tho, I find the difference insignficant & possibly subject to favoring Audi in the future. For while the supply of E55s continues to grow, there are no more new RS6s.

Similarly, in the used car market, there is much more potential for growth in the supply of E55s than for RS6s. That also bodes well for the RS6 in comparison.

BTW I also found the RS6 selling for more in an online AutoTrader search for the LA area, a few months ago.

gjg
December 19th, 2004, 19:08
JAX, there is another issue with MB, at least in this part of the world - the famous Benz quality is no longer there and it has not been for at least 3-5 years. That of course does not count the extraorbitant cost of maintenance which is no less, but even more (if you can believe that) compared to Audi.

Some of my friends (at least 7 as counted on Friday) moved from E and S class to Audi (A8, A8L, S8 and Allroad - gor an offer for my plus too) because of the above ..... resale value of used Benz between 98-03 models in this part of Europe is low and not getting higher. Of course the superior quattro drive helps here as well ....

gg :idea:

JAXRS6
December 19th, 2004, 19:24
Good point, gig. My girlfriend has a 2002 C240, and there is now a hole in the floor liner where she rests her left foot. Terms like "quality," "upscale" and "good resale" usually are not associated with vehicles having cardboard-like floor liners.

gjg
December 19th, 2004, 19:34
I just added the list what was purchased (A8, A8L , S8 and Allroad).

The interior finish starts to resemble Skoda as far as build quality, fit is piss poor .... not to mention MES (mysterious electronic shit) which seems to follow BMW track relatively consistently .....

audirs6sport
December 20th, 2004, 01:34
Couldn't agree with you more JAX and of course everyone else for sharing their comments =) I guess they just can't handle the truth ;-)

smeeg
December 20th, 2004, 05:20
incognito's brother just got a e55....god its soo sweet and omg i just want it to have my kids...

JAXRS6
December 20th, 2004, 06:17
Originally posted by smeeg
incognito's brother just got a e55....god its soo sweet and omg i just want it to have my kids...

Just to clarify, I think the E55 is sweet, too! My comments were directed to resale value, not its worthiness as a performer.

I test drove one for 40 minutes in Spring 03, after my RS6 had been ordered but before it arrived. What a torque monster! I also loved the interior and appreciate the fact that it's all resting on a more modern platform. If my RS6 ever fails me big time, the E55 will top my list of alternatives to consider.

Short of such a failure, tho, I still would choose the RS6 due to its AWD. Winning drag races is fine & fun, and bragging rights count for something. But the RS6 is plenty fast and at 32K mi I have yet to pull up next to an E55 at a stop light. Meantime I DO encounter rain, and almost daily I also need to turn-and-merge rapidly onto busy US Hwy 41 in Florida -- preferably without interference from a twitchy ESP. In those situations the RS6 excels.

audirs6sport
December 20th, 2004, 09:44
My decision was heavily based upon the comparision of each motor. V8 biturbo vs V8 single supercharged, I'd take biturbo setup over single supercharged anyday! Only real dragging side of the RS6 that disturbs me constantly is the damn automatic gearbox, can't really take advantage of it's "true advantage" in drag race. But it can always be replaced with 6speed mt. :D

smeeg
December 20th, 2004, 13:41
jax i know...god the seats..and everything...but why have two rs6's in the same garage,when you can the best of both worlds!!!

A418TQTip
December 20th, 2004, 16:55
Guys, just curious...

What would you rather have - E55 or E60 M5?

Erik
December 20th, 2004, 17:14
Originally posted by A418TQTip
What would you rather have - E55 or E60 M5?

M5 any day.

SpinEcho
December 20th, 2004, 17:22
Amen to that!

Aronis
December 20th, 2004, 17:38
If it were not for the fact that it snows too much here, I'd be driving an M5, no question.

Mike

But I have grown to love my RS6, nicer interior, better styling.....

nene
December 20th, 2004, 19:11
Given the interior and exterior looks of my 545i, I think I'd go with the E55.
One example is the cup holder. Granted I never use it, but the GF does, and 4 months later the cup holder won't close anymore. It's a minor issue, and one to which I'd never base my purchase solely on, but I'd go with the E55 vs the new M5.

I really like the Benz a lot. Previous M5 though, that is real hot in my book!

audirs6sport
December 21st, 2004, 14:00
M5 all the way! E55=poser car. :D

Aronis
December 21st, 2004, 14:34
One of the videos from Audi Video said that the E55 gave a softer ride! Then they said the RS6 was too harsh?

Hello, Sports Sedan....softer ride is NOT a better attribute, if I want a soft ride I'll save $50,000 and get a Cadilac.

They also had a comment about the seats in the RS6 not being as comfortable!?!?

I had the same seats in my A6 4.2 (or at least very similar) and in my two previous BMW's (M3 and 325is) I had the same lux/sport seats in those cars, and the seats in the Audi are Hands Down more comfortable. I must admit the added creature comfort of the MB heated AND cooled seats would be nice, but I think that guy was picking at nits....

Yes, the new M5 is a more sporty car than both the E55 and the RS6, but we need to always have a more sporty car to push the envelop further....

absent
December 21st, 2004, 17:18
Resale value sucks on all cars,regardless of make.
Lost $30k in one year on a 996 Cab ,lost $20k on S8(1 year) and now my S600 (paid $138k + taxes and mods)is worth barely $80k in trade.(got the car in April)

Bauer
December 21st, 2004, 18:50
Originally posted by absent
Resale value sucks on all cars,regardless of make.
Lost $30k in one year on a 996 Cab ,lost $20k on S8(1 year) and now my S600 (paid $138k + taxes and mods)is worth barely $80k in trade.(got the car in April)

Agreed!!!

Cars are not investments, for the rare exception.

I like the look of the E55 better then the E60 M...although I have not seen it in person, which may change my mind. Numbers of the E60 M are VERY impressive.

Yak
December 22nd, 2004, 18:37
Seeing both in flesh, I like the M5 more. It looks better in flesh than in pictures. It's got oooomph ;)

- Yak

Aronis
December 22nd, 2004, 19:13
Any time I travel to a place from where I fear my RS6 will be stolen, I always remember that there is always a nicer, newer, faster, sportier car out there.

I like the V10 M5.....love to test drive one..perhaps in the spring.

Mike

GoFastKindaGuy
December 23rd, 2004, 03:45
I was just getting excited about the new M5 -- then it "snowed and blowed" here in Wisconsin. Remind me, why I was excited?

Quattro puts power down!:addict:

SpinEcho
December 23rd, 2004, 04:09
Sort of off-topic (coupe not sedan), but what do people think?

http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/products/highlights/m6/phase_1/movie.htm

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/17350M6_front_2.jpg

audirs6sport
December 23rd, 2004, 05:11
Does ANYONE know a car that does not depreciate it's value after driving off the lot by less than 10% from it being purchased brand spankin new? Just wondering if it exists or not.

absent
December 23rd, 2004, 22:54
Originally posted by audirs6sport
Does ANYONE know a car that does not depreciate it's value after driving off the lot by less than 10% from it being purchased brand spankin new? Just wondering if it exists or not.
For next couple of years F430 should do it.

Bauer
December 23rd, 2004, 23:40
That car is VERY impressive, a big improvement over the 360 IMO.

As for the M6......fugly, numbers are very impressive but I just don't like the German Thunderbird.

JAXRS6
December 24th, 2004, 00:41
Since the question isn't limited to exotics, I'll mention that when the PT Cruiser first came out, prices in some markets were nuts -- with one dealer asking $32K for a car I saw on his lot! So, when the PT was new & "hot," I'm sure someone who got hold of one for MSRP could sell it for same or very close.

audirs6sport
December 24th, 2004, 03:16
Yep VERY true. Supply & demand :hahahehe:

A418TQTip
December 24th, 2004, 12:01
Originally posted by JAXRS6
Since the question isn't limited to exotics, I'll mention that when the PT Cruiser first came out, prices in some markets were nuts -- with one dealer asking $32K for a car I saw on his lot! So, when the PT was new & "hot," I'm sure someone who got hold of one for MSRP could sell it for same or very close.

That usually applies to new M cars too... I remember BMW dealers asking $70K for "available" M3s back in 2001.