PDA

View Full Version : The RS6 is dead, long live the RS4

FatBoy
January 18th, 2003, 14:11
After handing over my lovely RS6 yesterday, I was feeling somewhat dispondant. However, that was short lived because I've just bought myself a nice shiney black RS4. It's in absolutely mint condition with only 2,700 miles on the clock and silver napa leather interior (just to remind me of my RS6 ).
The only negative with it is that the original owner had the alloy mirrors deleted. A bit of a long shot, but does anyone have or know where I can get some alloy mirrors at a sensible price ?
The car is in a totally standard state. Having saved myself £20k on the RS6, what should be on the top of my list for mods ?
Having only had a short test drive, my immediate impression is that it feels much lighter than the RS6, but it doesn't have the instantaneous and totally effortless "grunt" that the RS6 has. However, I suspect that with a little time, it might ultimately prove to be the more rewarding to drive.
It is being delivered later next week, so I'll post some piccies when it arrives.
Cheers
Paul

Erik
January 19th, 2003, 11:51
Sounds nice FatBoy.
I think the original alloy mirrors are about 1500 Euros, but there may be copies.
However here in Sweden I know many S6 owners find that other people need their mirrors better. I guess this is might what have happened to the previous owner of the RS4 as well?

Regarding mods may I suggest chip + exhaust as a first?

RS4 on the forum has a pretty nasty RS4 tuned by Hohenester.

Mr. Fru-T Pants
January 20th, 2003, 18:28
I would check out Dahlback Racing at dahlbackracing.se...They have AMAZING tuning packages
for the RS4. I don't know about reliability, but they tend to overengineer everything, or so it would seem.
Erik might know more about them, seeing as how he's close by.

That is all,
Fru-T

Erik
January 20th, 2003, 18:33
Dahlback Racing is a few hours drive from here, and I might pay him a visit before the summer.

DBR is using MTM, but maybe he's got some own inventions I don't know.

Maybe you think the RS4 has got enough power, in such case start looking for something to improve the road-going performance or brakes.

FatBoy
January 20th, 2003, 18:35
Thanks guys.
Provided I can sneak it past my "best beloved", I think I'll look at a Quattro suspension upgrade and a short-shift gear linkage first.

scoop
January 20th, 2003, 19:07
Originally posted by FatBoy
Provided I can sneak it past my "best beloved", I think I'll look at a Quattro suspension upgrade and a short-shift gear linkage first.

I have the quattro GmbH suspension on mine. It's rough on long journeys but great for making the car behave in corners :)

Also be sure to pick the right tires for your new baby. It has been stated that the RS4 equipped with Dunlop tires and the quattro suspension is worse on the track than an RS4 with stock suspension an Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tires.