PDA

View Full Version : MTM + Exhaust problems?

Dave
January 17th, 2003, 22:03
After my post about having mods done to my RS6 I had a call out of the blue from a chap who has had the same mods done. He said that at the moment his car was putting out LESS torque than origionally !!

He did go on on to say that they are working on the problems, but I was best to save my money for the time being until it was sorted.

has anyone else come across this and what do you think the problems are??

Someone suggested that the exhaust setup might need futher refinement due to less back pressure?

Dave

Erik
January 18th, 2003, 11:59
From MTM I heard that the sport exhaust is ready but they're doing the mapping now.

Dave
January 18th, 2003, 12:15
I agree.. From the enquires I have made it looks like the chip is good, but when added to the exhaust it needs a further re-chip..

Dave

Dave
January 23rd, 2003, 23:41
Had a good chat with Kim Collins of Quattropsorts (MTM dealer for UK) and he explained how things stand.

The MTM chip is good and increases the torque by a massive level which increases in gear accleration times. 0 to 60 times are more difficult to reduce , partly due to the automatic gearbox.. it makes it difficult to get quick standing starts.

The problems with the exhaust take a little more understanding. At the moment Uk manufacturers are only changing the rear cat backs.. bit the main blockage is around the down pipes, so it is here that the work needs to be carried out. I have heard that this may require taking the engine out, so will probably be big bucks. So at the moment, the changing of the cat backs is mainly cosmetic and has no effect on performance

Cheers
Dave

Erik
January 23rd, 2003, 23:51
I have an excellent picture of the RS6 exhaust. Will post it when I have the time to write something sensible - it's all in German! :eek:

Dave
January 23rd, 2003, 23:54
Would love to read that Erik when you get time.. unfortunatly my German is non-existant :(

I've also grown to like the quaq exhaust so that's what I think I will go for
Cheers
Dave

Mr Balsen
January 26th, 2003, 17:13
I talked to MTM last week and they are working on a new exhaust system for the RS6 which will include an electric valve to open or close pipe depending on the engine parameters (rpm, turbo boost).

Stay tuned.

Mr Balsen

TheBrit
January 28th, 2003, 13:48
Originally posted by Mr Balsen
I talked to MTM last week and they are working on a new exhaust system for the RS6 which will include an electric valve to open or close pipe depending on the engine parameters (rpm, turbo boost).
Sounds quite like Audi's system for the new S4. Makes it good and "rumbly" at low RPMs, but prevents it being noisy at higher RPMS. Not sure what it does for performance though! :D

Mr Balsen
January 28th, 2003, 13:52
Very efficently actually. Because if you open one exhaust after mid range rpm, you are allowing the gaz to increase their speed by increasing the size of the exhaust system. I believe RUF was the first tuner to offer it on the Porsche.

Mr Balsen