PDA

View Full Version : Ricky... Z06 for You!!!

sturs6
December 10th, 2004, 02:11
I may have to get one of these also and have the CTS-V as my daily.
http://www.structuredchaos.net/images/Z06/Z06%20engine.jpg
http://www.structuredchaos.net/images/Z06/seat.jpg
http://www.structuredchaos.net/images/Z06/Z06%20sketch.jpg

gnomik007
December 10th, 2004, 07:34
7L engine,now thats impressive.The car looks good and with such engine I am sure sounds even better.Will this car be sold in Europe with KMs instead of miles?What is the main difference between standard C6 and Z06?

Well done GM:0:

sturs6
December 10th, 2004, 14:42
0 -> 60 in 3.8 sec.

Top Speed 200 MPH

2,900lbs

5.7 lbs/HP

Chassis & Suspension development by Pratt & Miller,
Aluminum Hydroformed frame produced by DANA
- 345/30x19 Rears
- 6 piston Front, 4 piston Rear Brake Calipers
- Cross Drilled (cast and camfered) Rotors (possibly Brembo)

Engine Development by KaTech
To be hand built by new HP Engine Plant

LS7 427ci/ 7.0L. 500HP/500 Ft Lbs (512 HP derated to 500HP)
- 2 OHV (3 OHV not necessary for target HP)
- Raced based CNC ported Aluminum Head with 70cc chambers
- 11.0:1 CR
- 46 mm (1.81") Titanium Intake valve
- 41 mm (1.61") Na filled Exhaust Valve
- 104.8 mm Bore (4.125") , 101.6 mm Stroke (4.0") Aluminum block
- Forged Crank
- Forged 6 bolt main Bearing Caps
- Titanium Rods
- Cast Aluminum Flat Top Pistons
- 0.591" Lift Cam (15 mm)
- Dry Sump
- 90 mm Throttle Body on Composite manifold

Nordschleife
December 10th, 2004, 17:25
why all that fancy engine work? Only 500 bhp from a 7 litre engine, that is very low stress compared to BMW and Audi with their V10s. which are generating over 500bhp from 5 litres and the RS4 engine which is producing 420bhp from a 4.2 litre engine.
I would expect this engine to be good for 700bhp, wouldn't be the first time they had done something like that.
R+C

gnomik007
December 10th, 2004, 17:30
:)

gnomik007
December 10th, 2004, 17:31
People,if one was to compare Viper to new Corvette(z06),what would be number one?I have never driven neither cars so can't compare and therefore ask for your thoughts:)

bilbozilla
December 10th, 2004, 20:15
I've driven the Viper and it is a blisteringly fast vehicle that makes all kinds of great noises. I had it for about 2 hours. The only problem, though, is that I don't own enough gold jewelry to justify it. I do, however, have the hairy chest and the receding hariline... :)
I've got to tell you, I'm not self-conscious, but while driving that car, I was praying that I wouldn't see anyone that I knew. Also, with a car like that, you never have to make a 3 point turn - just turn the wheels and hit the gas.

Nord, your comment about low stress was noted - you've also got an engine that can be serviced at ANY local GM shop. I'd imagine you'll see some terrifying numbers when Mallett or some of the other tuners get a hold of it, if it's numbers you're looking for. :)

sturs6
December 10th, 2004, 21:28
Mallet is already pumping 700+ out of a 7.1 liter 427 which is what is in the 2006 Z06. All these motors GM is putting out are for the most part detuned. With a little breathing work on my 5.7 liter it is now at 490 hp. The Mallett version of the Z06 is going to be unbelievable.

bludnik
December 11th, 2004, 03:46
Originally posted by gnomik007
7L engine,now thats impressive.

Actually not... 7 liters? ok... that's a huge engine, but only 500hp? Are all american car manufacturers just boring the cylinders of standard V8 to get power?

BMW manages to produce 500hp from a 5-liter in their M5. Fair enough, it's a V10, not a V8 but still...

Further on, Ferrari gets 660 hp from its 6-liter in the Enzo,
Aston Martin gets 520hp from its 6-liter in the Vanquish S,
and Audi gets 450hp from its 4.2-liter in the RS6... :addict:

Looks like the euros still know more about making engines than the us... :bye2: :D :D :D

Erik
December 13th, 2004, 15:53
I like it.

A lot.

The old model is one of the best in price performance if you want to go fast on the Nürburgring. :thumb:

bludnik
December 14th, 2004, 12:33
Originally posted by Erik
I like it.

A lot.

The old model is one of the best in price performance if you want to go fast on the Nürburgring. :thumb:

Dont get me wrong... i like it as well... it's a very pretty car and it has the heritage since it was launched about at the fall of Carthage...:D

But... It's not cheap enough to be selling at that point, as it cost ca. 1 320 000 NOK...

That's alot of money... That moves it into the terrain of another ancient car, the Porsche 911. A Porsche 911 CARRERA 4S will set me back 1 350 000 and 30 000 is not too much of a difference when you get over 1 mill...

And, then you have to look at the looks of the cars and the 996 Porsche is much prettier and it's so much more sophisticated. It doesnt have the leaf springs, stolen from a medival oxe-cart, like the old corvette has... :D

And, you can lean on the back bit of the car without it moving. (Not fiberglass...) ;) :thumb:

So... which would i get if i was spending that amount of coin now... :vhmmm:

I'd go for the bavarian 911 :D

Nordschleife
December 14th, 2004, 13:09
Originally posted by bludnik

I'd go for the bavarian 911 :D

The Bavarian 911s are much more expensive than you have quoted, I think you want the ordinary ones from Swabia!

R+C

Benman
December 14th, 2004, 15:21
Originally posted by Nordschleife
why all that fancy engine work? Only 500 bhp from a 7 litre engine, that is very low stress compared to BMW and Audi with their V10s. which are generating over 500bhp from 5 litres and the RS4 engine which is producing 420bhp from a 4.2 litre engine.
I would expect this engine to be good for 700bhp, wouldn't be the first time they had done something like that.
R+C
Correct. It is low stressed, which should translate into reliability and LOW maintenance costs. This is a HUGE factor for someone that wants Ferrari performance at less than 1/3 the price! I found out that full premium car insurance in the states for a Z06 (last model) was quite a bit cheaper than my Beast dispite the fact that it's a 2 door sports car (mainly due, again, to low part prices and low maintenance costs).

Also the torque figures from the new M5 cannot be compared to the Z06 (but maybe the E55). The Z06 smokes it in the torque aspect. The RS 6 makes good low end torque but like the E55 use forced induction (apples to oranges).

Another thing I like is the that GM focused on the weight issue. If the car really does end up being 2900lbs then that is a tremendous feat for Chevy. That puts it at only 50lbs more than an S2000! THe Gallardo weights in at @3200lbs and by the time you take 150-200lbs of all wheel drivetrain out it STILL isn't lighter than the Z06 dispite it's extensive use of aluminum! The upcoming Le Mans would do good to take note of this!

With a car like this coming out the F430 Modena (along with the Ford GT) will have (performance wise) competition from a vehicle that costs less than half! I would guess that this Beast will start at less than $60K and will match ANY track times by the F430, Gallardo, Ford GT... etc... And yes I know I'll be flamed but IMHO it'd be a no brainer over the F430 (almost $200K BEFORE markup?). Flame suit ON!!!

Ben:addict: (like the flared fenders to differenciate it from the lesser Vettes ala RS)

sturs6
December 14th, 2004, 15:52
Well said Ben! My thoughts exactlly. No flaming here.:D

Nordschleife
December 14th, 2004, 17:38
look at those engine specs - maybe there is 'more' than 500 bhp.

Items like titanium rods in a low stressed engine - why? Not for homologation purposes, but if the power is more than what is on the sticker........

I am old enough to have briefly owned a ZD 'vette, now that had POWER, it just came on stream in lumps!

This particular version, I wonder exactly how good it will be on a road circuit out of the box. Sadly, we cannot look at the terrific GTS class Corvettes that do so well in ALMS and expect similar performance. those cars are, in effect, 'silhouette' racers and mammothly expensive, exciting and effective. I have been on track when they have been testing, it feels like they will 'rip your paint off' as they go by, rocking your car as they go.

So GM keeps the quoted hp on the low side and the insurance premiums are more managable? You may very well think so, i couldn't possibly comment.

One day somebody will take a 'vette, gut it and put in a beautiful leather interior, now that would be quite a car. incidentally, is there any luggage space?

R+C

gnomik007
December 14th, 2004, 17:53
When is the car coming out and will there be european version like dodge viper?I say get new Z06,invest another 20K USD in interior and nice rims and it will smoke most supercars perfomance wise and by looks.I am sure to keep vette is way cheaper than a ferrari or porsche,and that means a lot.Anyone with more info PLZ:)

Benman
December 14th, 2004, 18:30

One day somebody will take a 'vette, gut it and put in a beautiful leather interior, now that would be quite a car. incidentally, is there any luggage space?

R+C
I agree with you on that one. It would be great to see the interior stepped up a bit, although I'm sure if the factory did it (if they're even capable) it would certainly up the price. Luggage space is supposed to be up from last model. Haven't confirmed in person.

And yes, to see the Le Mans CR-5s in person is truely impressive. To think that is the same block that Mallet starts with on their high end conversions:bigeyes:

gnomik007,

I believe the Z06 will make it to Europe as the Euro mags have already confirmed the C6 is coming with the sport suspension as standard. However Evo quoted a estimated price of 45,000 british pounds (last time I checked that translates to $85K+!) so don't expect it to be the bargain it will be here. The new Z06 makes its debut at the Detroit show and will go on sale soon after. I would think that if C6 will soon start showing up at dealers in Europe then it would be a fair guesstimate to say the C6 Z06 should make it's way out there by end of 06'

Ben:addict:

steve
December 14th, 2004, 19:07

incidentally, is there any luggage space?

R+C

What would you think of 634l :D

That's one huge trunk!:MTM:

Benman
December 14th, 2004, 23:47
Originally posted by steve
What would you think of 634l :D

That's one huge trunk!:MTM:
About 22 cubic feet?!? That IS big! That must be filling it up flush with the back glass!

bludnik
December 15th, 2004, 00:45
The Bavarian 911s are much more expensive than you have quoted, I think you want the ordinary ones from Swabia!

R+C

Porsche 911 Carrera 4S has a retail price of 1 350 000 Norwegian Kroner (NOK. 1USD = ca.6.2NOK)

See http://www.bilguiden.no/NewCar/Default.cfm?Page=6&vehicleID=9109742 for details/proof... For some reason the importer in Norway hasnt got the prices on their website, så i cant show you that. Bilguiden is the leading website in Norway for new car prices...:cool2:

ricky71370
December 15th, 2004, 02:57
stu-
sorry it took so long for a reply but as i see, the thread has got a little bit of attention. i just want to get the z06, have mallett do its magic and turn it over to the wife for her everyday use...:)

ricky
ps. good find stu..-- how's the new member of the family coming along? any confrentations?

brab
December 15th, 2004, 14:16
Originally posted by bludnik
Actually not... 7 liters? ok... that's a huge engine, but only 500hp? Are all american car manufacturers just boring the cylinders of standard V8 to get power?

BMW manages to produce 500hp from a 5-liter in their M5. Fair enough, it's a V10, not a V8 but still...

Further on, Ferrari gets 660 hp from its 6-liter in the Enzo,
Aston Martin gets 520hp from its 6-liter in the Vanquish S,
and Audi gets 450hp from its 4.2-liter in the RS6... :addict:

Looks like the euros still know more about making engines than the us... :bye2: :D :D :D

You are getting a little bit ahead of yourself....
RS6 is with twin turbos first of all, so slap twin turbo on that Z06 and you will have sub 2 second 0-60 times....
Which RS6 could never see with no matter how big turbos you put on there....

Second thing you are missing is that Aston Martin, RS6, Enzo and M5 (especially) have lower torque numbers than the horsepower, whereas American V8s and V10s have the same....In case of Viper torque is even greater than the horsepower....
And we all know torque is much more important than horsepower when it comes to performance....

So before you start making totalitarian claims please do some research....

Nordschleife
December 15th, 2004, 15:01
Originally posted by brab

Second thing you are missing is that Aston Martin, RS6, Enzo and M5 (especially) have lower torque numbers than the horsepower, whereas American V8s and V10s have the same....In case of Viper torque is even greater than the horsepower....
And we all know torque is much more important than horsepower when it comes to performance....

So before you start making totalitarian claims please do some research....

Horsepower is a function of rpm and torque. You cannot state that an engine has more or less torque than power when the power is a function of the torque, they are different units of measurement. You can say it is high revving or low revving.

Generally speaking, European engines are more efficient than US engines in terms of output, fuel consumption and pollution. Because fuel is expensive in Europe, and the Emission regulations are strict, the engineers are more focussed on these issues than their colleagues in the US. you might think bodies like CARB are strict, but even cars like the RS4 sail through with no problems, without rechipping.
R+C

brab
December 15th, 2004, 17:33
Horsepower is a function of rpm and torque. You cannot state that an engine has more or less torque than power when the power is a function of the torque, they are different units of measurement. You can say it is high revving or low revving.

Without getting too technical I think you know exactly what I was aiming at.....
I am not saying they are comparable numbers I am just saying that per say Dodge Viper has 490 ft-lbs of torque and 450 horses meaning that it has much stronger pull than a car with 500 horses and 384 ft-lbs of torque like new M5....

What I was trying to get at is that people are overusing horsepower figure and totally ignoring torque....

ott
December 15th, 2004, 21:53
Sure, European car manufacturers produce more high-tech cars and in general better sports cars than Corvette...for much higher price.

But if we talk about street/ track cars, which are not limited by engine capacity, I would choose larger engine with the same max. hp. nr. any day. Because such engine has more useable power through the rev range, it is less stressed and therefore more reliable, is more tuneable for additional power if I decide so, and it doesn't need complex $$$ mechanics and electronics, to produce those hp. nrs. somewhere @zillion rpm.

Hp per L and "efficency" doesn't mean nothing on the street. Faster car is....faster.

I understand, that it may be most important for some owners to have most "sophisticated" car or car with "right" brand name and nothing wrong with that. I personally like "bang for the $".

Benman
December 15th, 2004, 23:28
Originally posted by ott
Sure, European car manufacturers produce more high-tech cars and in general better sports cars than Corvette...for much higher price.

I personally like "bang for the $".
And "Bang for the Buck is what the Corvette is ALL about!:0:

sturs6
December 16th, 2004, 03:04
Originally posted by Benman
And "Bang for the Buck is what the Corvette is ALL about!:0:
This has always been the goal of the General in the creation of the Vette. A hotrod for the masses so to say. That is why I can not wait to see how they price this monster.
I know for me to add the 427 from Mallett would cost about 16,000 dollars so one must probably tack that price among other things to the 50,000 or so dollars already for the C6. It should be interesting to see what happens.

freerider
December 16th, 2004, 12:32
Looks like the pictures are "illegal" :D
http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101358

Didn't you guys get a reaction from GM? :D

Greetz Johan

gnomik007
January 31st, 2005, 19:46
I want one:)

5000S old skool
January 31st, 2005, 23:14
Originally posted by freerider

Greetz Johan

Hey, that's GM's own fault. The only reason its out is because somone FROM GM leaked it out. Otherwise there would be no other way it would be out. GM is hiring the wrong people.

Benman
February 1st, 2005, 01:26
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
Hey, that's GM's own fault. The only reason its out is because somone FROM GM leaked it out. Otherwise there would be no other way it would be out. GM is hiring the wrong people.
Autoweek has a nice article on the subject: http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101358

"The term embargo refers to a date, set by the manufacturer, before which journalists agree not to disseminate information. An embargo is one reason magazine and newspaper readers may notice the same car(s) receiving coverage in various outlets simultaneously. From the manufacturers’ standpoint, the practice allows them to coordinate media coverage with promotional and advertising campaigns; the media get information in advance to prepare more thorough and entertaining stories. We abide by embargoes to gain equal access to information as well as access to subsequent press events and test drives. AutoWeek’s embargo policy, broadly stated, is that we won’t be first to break an embargo to which we’ve agreed, but we won’t be third, either."

It's not neccesarily GM's fault. The article goes on to explain that ALL manufactures "leak" info to the car mags so they can prepare their stories in time to have full pics AND words to put in their mags. All car mag publishers sign an agreement to NOT disclose ANY info UNTIL the pre determined date guidelines. Problem was some how, someone from some mag leaked it and ALL SORTS of people got access to the pics, rs6.com included:hihi: .

Ahh well, whadda ya gonna do?:D

Ben:addict:

sturs6
February 13th, 2005, 02:44
Originally posted by freerider

Greetz Johan

Hey check out the new Z06 vette. This batch is not illegal. Here are what I would call a few more (http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2006-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06.htm) for after you look at these.
http://www.cfive-corvette.com/Corvette_Mag_2.jpg

Oh wait that is the undressed version.
http://www.cfive-corvette.com/vette2.jpg