PDA

View Full Version : Rs6/s6/rs8

absent
December 6th, 2004, 03:50
From a proven before source(a relative):
S6 will have a natural aspirated V8 with circa 420hp-2006
RS6 will have a V10 twinturbo with high 500+ hp-2006/2007
RS8,regardless of all the other reports will be made and with the W12 twinturbo.-2007
S8 will have a V10(no more info about it) -2006

tailpipe
December 6th, 2004, 14:39
Originally posted by absent
From a proven before source(a relative):
S6 will have a natural aspirated V8 with circa 420hp-2006
RS6 will have a V10 twinturbo with high 500+ hp-2006/2007
RS8,regardless of all the other reports will be made and with the W12 twinturbo.-2007
S8 will have a V10(no more info about it) -2006

Yes, I've heard much of the same thing straight from the horse's mouth too:

S6 V-8 is apparently same V-8 that will be in next year's RS4. (The S6 Avant with air suspension and 425bhp should be a great machine and could be well worth considering as an alternative to new RS4.)
RS6 will have the brand new 5.2 litre V-10, (i.e. no relation to Lamborghini engine) plus bi-turbos and will provide 520 bhp.
S8 will get 6.0 litre W12 with bi-turbos, but haven't heard anything about any RS8. Are you sure?
RS9 (Le Mans concept) has also been approved for production and will get range of V-8 and V-10 engines including V-10 above.

There will also be hot versions of the A5, the new coupe and convertibe models designed to sit between A4 and A6.

nene
December 6th, 2004, 14:50
So much for the HP wars ending like one of the Audi reps said. I guess he's thinking that Audi will catch Benz/BMW off guard.
It all sounds good. Let's just wait and see.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my little 450HP!

5000S old skool
December 16th, 2004, 00:04
I doubt there will be an RS8.. I think the S8 will be a NA V10 with the RS6 being V10 Biturbo. I think a tuned W12 is highly unlikely, too complicated. If the S8 were to be a W12 Biturbo would that make it more powerful than the RS6?? and would that not defeat the the purpose of RS cars?? :confused:

In the meantime Im enjoying my 130hp 1987 german beast!! :bye2:

tailpipe
December 16th, 2004, 11:25
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
I doubt there will be an RS8.. I think the S8 will be a NA V10 with the RS6 being V10 Biturbo. I think a tuned W12 is highly unlikely, too complicated. If the S8 were to be a W12 Biturbo would that make it more powerful than the RS6?? and would that not defeat the the purpose of RS cars?? :confused:

In the meantime Im enjoying my 130hp 1987 german beast!! :bye2:

What you say definitely makes sense. I think the Le Mans sports car, apparently due to be badged RS9, will effectively be the performance flagship. Moreover, I understand that the aluminum body shell of the A8 doesn't exactly lend itself to superhard sports suspensions. (A friend who owned the previous S8 managed by an act of incredible recklessness to get his airborne over a hump-back bridge; when it landed the chassis flexed only slightly but enough to set off all the air bargs!) I am sure new A8's chassis is a lot stiffer but given its size, it really is more of a cruiser than hard-edged performance saloon. An S8 with a N/A V-10 would be lighter and thus better than a heavy blown W-12. If they do put the new 5.2 litre V-10 in the A8, it'll be fantastic.

I've heard no official word from Audi or a reliable rumour from any of my sources.

5000S old skool
December 17th, 2004, 23:34
I'm just going by what it was before...

S8 - NA V8
RS6 _ Biturbo V8

so i think itll be the same only with V10s

clam
February 27th, 2005, 15:16
Any undates on the S/RS 8?

I've been reading rumours of a 600hp BiTurbo W12, and 650hp for a fast Bentley Continental GTS. Or even 650hp for the Audi.
http://www.wams.de/data/2004/06/27/297063.html

Also some sources that say the RS8 will be a sportsback. Probably not, but that would be the effing coolest thing on the planet.
Although, I know F. Pïech drove an Avant version of the last gen A8, and the Avantissimo concept show that Audi was thinking about it.

http://www.ahc.cz/audiclub/modely/avantissimo/tp020003.jpg

tailpipe
February 27th, 2005, 16:52
Originally posted by clam
Any undates on the S/RS 8?

Hi Clam,

I think the jury at Audi is still out on the S8/ RS8 debate. There has certainly been much discussion about this. What i do know is that the Avantissimo and Avant concepts have been killed, though lovely machines, the business case doesn't stack up in terms of sales numbers.

The A6 Avant is quite a bit bigger than its predecessor and in many respects fills the role of the A8 Avant. in both S6 and RS6 form, it should be a class act and i definitely see myself being sorely tempted come Rs6 launch time.

My own personal perspective is, an RS8 with a V-10 twin-turbo would be a good thing. What is for certain, is that there will definitely be a performance version of the A8.

clam
February 27th, 2005, 19:57
Too bad about the Avant. I guess it also would've conflicted with the Q7.

My personal engine choices would be n/a V10 for the S, and V10T for the RS.

I'm confident we'll see a V10 Turbo in an Audi. I've noticed that concept engines in concept cars always end up in a production model.
- Avus introduced the W12
- The 2.8 Spyder introduced the 2.8 V6
- Steppenwolf introduced the 3.2 VR6
- Avantissimo introduced the V8T
- Pikes Peak introduced the FSi V8 (Turbo)

Unlike most companies, Audi insists on operational concept cars. Instead of just an empty shell. So when you see a piece of technology on an Audi concept car, you know it's not an "empty promise", if you know what I mean.
There've been two concept cars already (LeMans, Nuvolari) powered by the 6.2l V10 Turbo, so I'm absolutely certain we'll see it in production.

The LeMans concept, btw, also introduced the asymetric Torsen and the sportsmode we see in the RS4 now. It's even got the same steering wheel.
And the mid-engined drivetrain of the LeMans could be hinting at the B8 platform. If Audi flips the engine around on their B-platform, the gearbox/torsen and modifications to the engine block should be the same as the Lemans/A9. It makes economical for these platform to share the drivetrain.

Finnus
February 27th, 2005, 21:48
If they do put the new 5.2 litre V-10 in the A8, it'll be fantastic.

Tailpipe,

I agree. The A8L weighs about the same as the RS6. so wouldn't make sense to put the twin turbo V-10 in? Besides, isn't the current A8 W12 pretty expensive, pricing a highly tuned RS version out of the market?

Finnus

:addict:

Finnus
February 27th, 2005, 21:53
Some of you seem to have pretty good inside information?

Beside the engine mentioned, what can we expect in the next generation RS6? Better weight distribution, significantly reduced weight, 60/40 power split, improved DRC, magnetic and fully adjustable shocks?

Finnus

bilbozilla
February 28th, 2005, 00:37
All this is well and good, but bring out the DSG! Audi has this in the TT and this is one of the coolest transmissions going.

noushy
February 28th, 2005, 05:38
I think we have all heard the speculation. The only thing I believe is the new S6 with the 4.2 FSI motor. Makes good sense since it is already developed and the goal with Audi is to move to all FSI engines in the future. As for the issue of turbos, v10, w12s, I think the jury is still out. Audi already has the W12 turbo in the form of a bentley continental gt. An RS8 would cost somewhere near the same price (figure $120k for the A8 W12, plus a 20-30k premium for the RS model). Is $150k unreasonable, no. Just take a look at the S65, or better yet the S600 which is a V12tt. BMW sells its normally aspirated V12 760li for around $115k to $120k so Audi is not unreasonable. The only reason mercedes gets away with their prices is the name, and that is not going to last forever. Their quality sucks, their dealers really suck, and no offense to the people who drive them, most of the AMG cars I saw down in WPB florida were driven by women, picking up groceries or shopping on Worth avenue. Sheesh.

Noushy

tailpipe
February 28th, 2005, 15:38
I can tell you for sure, because someone from Ingolstadt told me directly, that the RS6 currently in development will have a V-10 FSI engine with bi-turbos. This engine has already been tested quite extensively and they've had in excess of 600 bhp out of it. And unlike BMW's V-10, Audi's prototype units have not detonated. (Sorry, Erik, couldn't resist that jibe!)

I think the actually horsepower of the production model will be about 520-550bhp. That's speculation, not fact.

The air suspension will provide a degree of roadholding and ride comfort that no Audi has yet achieved. The asymetric torque split will also be included, i.e. 60:40 in favour of the rear wheels.

I know Audi have been experimenting with a rear transaxle-mounted gearbox and whether this will be a feature on the RS6 is unknown at this stage. If it is, then the engine will be able to move further back, as on the A4, but either way the new V-10 is extremely compact.

I've been trying to find out more about longitudinal DSG gearbox developments and will let everyone know what is happening after Geneva, which I'm just about to leave for.

In short, the next RS6 will be supercar disguised as a family estate/ wagon or sedan/ saloon car. It will blitz both BMW and Mercedes best offerings to date. But i guess everyone knows that already.

Finnus
February 28th, 2005, 17:29
Thanks, Tailpipe. Keep the late-breaking news coming!

I realize its very speculative at this point, but any inside info on target release dates for the next gen RS6? And the RS9 as well?

Finnus

RS4Ever
February 28th, 2005, 20:30
As always, great info Tailpipe.

thanks.

also,
:wo: (as you can see, this little purple circle here is really excited about geneva) - cant wait to see the pics from there.

clam
March 27th, 2005, 13:27
Could this be the RS8 test mule?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/6997_image.jpg

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/6998_image.jpg

Look at the size of those brakes. :bigeyes:

MJN
April 27th, 2005, 13:14
Those rims look like RS4 rims to me, but i can also be some kind of tuning object

But honestly i can't image that Audi will put a 5.2 V10 engine with bi turbo's in that RS6 and extract 'only' 550 bhp. It doesn't make sense, because they have the experience with 100 bhp/liter engines (RS4)

Wouldn't it make more sense if they just fitted two turbo's to that RS4 engine?
I guess it will be possible and still make 525 bhp or so

344>>450 (old S6-RS6)
425>>525 or so (new S6-RS6)

Nordschleife
April 27th, 2005, 14:35
The car up at the glacier is a Bentley test mule.

No secrets now.

R+C

Toto89
August 1st, 2005, 13:10
Hi all!
I have ideas how to make cool Audis:incar:
I think:
New S6 have to get some kind of V10 engine without turbo (for example 5.2 V10 FSI) with around 420 or even 500 hp.
New RS6 have to get the same with twin-turbos at around 600hp
S and RS modells have got the same engines but with or without turbo or medium or high hp/litre peformance before.
It would be nice if S8 would get the 5.2 V10 FSI with minimum 500 hp or even more than 600hp(like in RS6) or both:
S8 can get that engine with "only" 500hp and RS8 or something supersport version of A8 could get the RS6 engine or a W12 twin-turbo engine with more than 600hp.
In my opinion A8 needs an engine with minimum 620 hp if you see Mercedes S65 AMG
I think it would be nice if the R9 will be available with not only the V8 from the RS4 but with a V10 twin-turbo as well like in Le Mans.:MTM:
Isn't a good idea a Q7 with 600hp?:hihi:
What do you think?