PDA

View Full Version : Icey roads-> accidents!

steve
November 28th, 2004, 10:11
Impressive video... wouldn't want to drive an RWD car over there:) See them BMW's go:D ... quattro would be "a bit" safer I guess.

http://www.croqaudile.com/index.php?page=clips&id=6020

J0X
November 28th, 2004, 10:22
Oh lord, back to driving 101 everyone. That's absolutely fantastic. Whoever taught those people how to handle "crisis situations" sure ripped them off.

Klint
November 28th, 2004, 11:47
I haven't seen the video, but putting BMW and icey roads together in the same sentence isn't good!

Approximately 10 days ago I had a little off in the 325...it seems I ran out of steering lock while holding a powerslide, the car is still at the workshop and will be for another fortnight at least..

Here's some pics of the scene and the car.

Klint
November 28th, 2004, 11:52
The concrete base of the sign post wedged the front of the car of the ground crushing the car from bottom to top, the radiator was pierced and managed to get half way home before the warning lights came on... :idea:

Klint
November 28th, 2004, 11:55
This is a great corner to drift on... :D One of my personal favourites

bludnik
December 7th, 2004, 00:37
this is why we, the people living in scandinavia, have something called WINTER TIRES... :D :D :D :D :D :D

sweet ey? :hahahehe: :hahahehe: :hahahehe:

RS4Ever
December 7th, 2004, 03:17
audi should use that clip as a commercial for quattro.

or it could be a good commercial for some tire company, informing you to put on your snow shoes.

cool clip.. too bad for those who slipped.

gjg
December 7th, 2004, 06:05
this is why we, the people living in scandinavia, have something called WINTER TIRES...

I'm afraid it would not help with most of the accidents on that video - if you don't have common sense and do not pay enough attention to what is going on even the best tire will not help.

There is no cure for driver's stupidity ......

:wo:

bludnik
December 7th, 2004, 13:10
quattro this quattro that... still, when you're braking, it doesnt matter if you have 2wd or 4wd 4matic, 4wd syncro, 4wd quattro or anything... the quattro system is for accelerating. you want to be retarding (slowing down). what you say? :vhmmm:

Well, not all cars use all the 4 wheels to move them forward, but ill be damned if they dont use all 4 wheels to stop.... ;)

Speedou
December 7th, 2004, 14:03
Originally posted by steve
See them BMW's go:D ... quattro would be "a bit" safer I guess.

If you have a new BMW with DSC there is no difference between Audi and BMW, or maybe BMW is better car to handle, and that's why BMW could be safer? Ok, ok, I'm just bored to this "Quattro makes your life much safer, it's the only good and the best". If that is true you can't drive rwd cars or you believe bullshit.

Of course, if the road really is that slippery Quattro is much faster from the line, but is that even a good thing, because you always have to stop.

:vhmmm:

steve
December 7th, 2004, 14:45
Originally posted by Speedou
If you have a new BMW with DSC there is no difference between Audi and BMW, or maybe BMW is better car to handle, and that's why BMW could be safer? Ok, ok, I'm just bored to this "Quattro makes your life much safer, it's the only good and the best". If that is true you can't drive rwd cars or you believe bullshit.

Of course, if the road really is that slippery Quattro is much faster from the line, but is that even a good thing, because you always have to stop.

:vhmmm:

So you are saying quattro is a pretty pointless thing? Only good for acceleration on slippery roads, and you even doubt if that is a good thing...? And that BMW is a better car to handle in the "4x4 road-conditions" due to its DSC? Pretty much all car manufacturers have this and I can't see why the DSC from BMW would be so much better then those from other manufacturers..:eye:

And has anyone here said that only quattro is good and anything else is bullshitt?:rolleyes:

We all know that under icey conditions, RWD is "the least safest" power transfer of the 3.

Can't really follow your point of view... :rolleyes:

bludnik
December 8th, 2004, 02:24
yes yes... 4x4 is the best power transfer... but do you guys see what i've written? POWER transfer... getting up to speed isnt my main concern on icey roads... it's getting to stop again...

then we're talking brakes and brakes on a 4wd, rwd and fwd cars are pretty much the same... most braking goes to the front wheels... of course, some times you can accellerate yourself out of it, like if there's a car standing still and you pull your car around it. but if you have to stop for it, having 4wd, rwd or fwd doesnt really matter does it? ;)

gjg
December 8th, 2004, 06:16
quattro this quattro that... still, when you're braking, it doesnt matter if you have 2wd or 4wd 4matic, 4wd syncro, 4wd quattro or anything... the quattro system is for accelerating. you want to be retarding (slowing down). ....

take your foot of the gas on icy road in 4x4 and in rwd and then try tell me there is no difference .... :argue:

Yak
December 8th, 2004, 07:58
Originally posted by gjg
I'm afraid it would not help with most of the accidents on that video - if you don't have common sense and do not pay enough attention to what is going on even the best tire will not help.

None of those accidents would have happened in the first place with winter tyres. That road isn't even icy, but summer tires won't keep at all in ice.

True, stupid drivers, summer tires and cold weather.

- Yak

bludnik
December 8th, 2004, 11:04
Originally posted by gjg
take your foot of the gas on icy road in 4x4 and in rwd and then try tell me there is no difference .... :argue:

well... the first thing you learn when you're getting your licence here in norway on the "slippery track day" you have to go through is that if you are to stop for something, the first thing you push down isnt the accellerator, neither the brake, but the clutch; disconnecting the power from the wheels... :hahahehe:

hehe... of course, if you get a power-feedback when you release the gas pedal on ice, 4wd is better since it drags the car more equally than rwd...

Speedou
December 8th, 2004, 13:06
Originally posted by steve
So you are saying quattro is a pretty pointless thing? Only good for acceleration on slippery roads, and you even doubt if that is a good thing...? And that BMW is a better car to handle in the "4x4 road-conditions" due to its DSC? Pretty much all car manufacturers have this and I can't see why the DSC from BMW would be so much better then those from other manufacturers..:eye:

And has anyone here said that only quattro is good and anything else is bullshitt?:rolleyes:

We all know that under icey conditions, RWD is "the least safest" power transfer of the 3.

Can't really follow your point of view... :rolleyes:

Yeah, my aspect was quite small. No I really don't say that Quattro is pointless. It's a great thing, it makes your acceleration much better (when slippery) and also accerelation is much easier. You don't have to "drive" at the same time.

And no, I didn't mean that BMW is better car to handle because of it DSC. Audi's ESP is about the same and there is no big difference. I meant that BMW is very safe to drive also when road is VERY slippery. The Quattro doesn't make it any safer. Maybe some way easier, you don't have to even think "can i stop here and move on again".

Yes, nobody did say that the rwd cars sucks or anything, sometimes it just feel so.

And I disagree this "We all know that under icey conditions, RWD is "the least safest" power transfer of the 3. "

For me it's the most safest. I think rwd car is best to handle. It’s just so logical to drive. And yes I’m now speaking rwd cars without (or switsched off) DSC, ESP etc...

I hope you can understand what i’m trying to say, I no my english is not good. :blush:

Yak
December 8th, 2004, 13:42
I meant that BMW is very safe to drive also when road is VERY slippery. The Quattro doesn't make it any safer.

Ouh, beep, stop right there. If there's lots of snow on the ground, or wet snow (I don't know the english word for that, but something really wet), 4wd gives more traction to control the car. In those conditions you will need tyres that pull, and that's where 4wd helps. It'll actually stay on the road at higher speeds than rwd car.

Yes, nobody did say that the rwd cars sucks or anything, sometimes it just feel so.

Let me be the one then, I think they're piece of crap in winter conditions. Happy? Well, there are reasons also: with traction control on, you can't get the end on lose, so here we are in same situation as with fwd car. Neither one is better. In case you stop, the FWD car is a lot better, since it has often 60/40 weight distribution, which gives it more traction under pulling tires. Where you would get stuck with RWD car, you won't with FWD car.

Added weight to pulling tyres will also help in cases of wet snow, when your tyres will 'plummet', and car will follow those tracks. With traction you can steer it away. ESP is a lovely tool to help you there also.

- Yak

Speedou
December 8th, 2004, 14:12
Originally posted by Yak
Ouh, beep, stop right there. If there's lots of snow on the ground, or wet snow (I don't know the english word for that, but something really wet), 4wd gives more traction to control the car. In those conditions you will need tyres that pull, and that's where 4wd helps. It'll actually stay on the road at higher speeds than rwd car.

Hmm...I don't have any facts to prove you are wrong. So if the thing really is so, ok. I hope I don't ever have to go so fast on weather like that. But quattro is safer then...

Let me be the one then, I think they're piece of crap in winter conditions. Happy?

Yes, I'm happy but not because of this :)

Well, there are reasons also: with traction control on, you can't get the end on lose, so here we are in same situation as with fwd car. Neither one is better. In case you stop, the FWD car is a lot better, since it has often 60/40 weight distribution, which gives it more traction under pulling tires. Where you would get stuck with RWD car, you won't with FWD car.

I don't never use ESP, DSC or any traction controls, i hate them… The reason why I love rwd cars is that they are so easy to handle (as I told you before). And of course they give you so much fun. :)And fwd car isn't a lot better when you stop. Just a little and in most cases the reason for getting stuck (is that right word?) is the driver. I have many times driven rwd car and passed fwd cars which are stucked…

Added weight to pulling tyres will also help in cases of wet snow, when your tyres will 'plummet', and car will follow those tracks. With traction you can steer it away. ESP is a lovely tool to help you there also.

- Yak

That is true, but it’s very unusual need to do that.. ESP maybe helps, but I hate it’s help ;)

Yak
December 9th, 2004, 21:09
[i]Originally posted by Speedou that right word?) is the driver. I have many times driven rwd car and passed fwd cars which are stucked…

I meant in a situation, where you have to stop. Of course if you're running, there's no problem, but if you have to stop in a slope, then FWD cars don't stuck so easily. Of course good winter tyres make a big difference, much greater than RWD/FWD. Some people just don't change their tyres enough often, or buy some cheap crap. 3 years is pretty much the maximum, after that they're too hard to have any grip (no matter if you've driven with them or not).

That is true, but it’s very unusual need to do that.. ESP maybe helps, but I hate it’s help ;)

Right, well, it's not unusual situation here, and I for one won't take out ESP when driving. Maybe it isn't as much fun, but I'm not willing to risk my life for that.

So ESP, good spiked winter tyres, that'll help in the winter.

- Yak

Speedou
December 10th, 2004, 09:47
Originally posted by Yak
I meant in a situation, where you have to stop. Of course if you're running, there's no problem, but if you have to stop in a slope, then FWD cars don't stuck so easily. Of course good winter tyres make a big difference, much greater than RWD/FWD. Some people just don't change their tyres enough often, or buy some cheap crap. 3 years is pretty much the maximum, after that they're too hard to have any grip (no matter if you've driven with them or not).

Jepjep, that's true. But some why I don't think people who visit on this site are that kind of "normal" drivers. Who drives VW Polo and doesn't even no which tyres they have. And again, I have never had any problem whith rwd cars.

Right, well, it's not unusual situation here, and I for one won't take out ESP when driving. Maybe it isn't as much fun, but I'm not willing to risk my life for that.

So ESP, good spiked winter tyres, that'll help in the winter.

- Yak

Oh, there it isn't unusual situation, but here it is? Hehhe, and we are living in the same place? Heh, I see, we are thinking whole thing so differently...maybe it's better to stop "fighting". You can come and see there won't be any problem with rwd car ;)

Bauer
December 11th, 2004, 01:21
I love the fact the the emergency vehicle has the arrow flashing towards the ice....:eye:

Klint
December 11th, 2004, 04:48
Jepjep, that's true. But some why I don't think people who visit on this site are that kind of "normal" drivers. Who drives VW Polo and doesn't even no which tyres they have. And again, I have never had any problem whith rwd cars.

[B]

Oh, there it isn't unusual situation, but here it is? Hehhe, and we are living in the same place? Heh, I see, we are thinking whole thing so differently...maybe it's better to stop "fighting". You can come and see there won't be any problem with rwd car ;)

Turn the gizmoes off and start experimenting with the RWD platform, you'll be in for a surprise... :D

Klint
December 11th, 2004, 04:51
Originally posted by Klint
Turn the gizmoes off and start experimenting with the RWD platform, you'll be in for a surprise... :D

I don't think I've seen so many "Re:"s in a single post title before... :bye2:

Yak
December 11th, 2004, 13:17
Oh, there it isn't unusual situation, but here it is? Hehhe, and we are living in the same place? Heh, I see, we are thinking

Depends where you live in Finland, yes, weather is different. I've seen enough people getting stuck with RWDs, no thanks. I've also had rwd-car, but it's end was very light, stop in the lights and it would only go backwards.

Anyway, coast has different weather conditions, more ice, slippery roads, wetty snow and all around crappy driving conditions at winter. Lots of snow is easy to handle.

- Yak

bludnik
December 12th, 2004, 13:38
Originally posted by Klint
I don't think I've seen so many "Re:"s in a single post title before... :bye2:

me neither... :thumb: :D :D :D :D

uhm... re :dance: