PDA

View Full Version : revisit V60 Cell phone

Aronis
November 22nd, 2004, 16:00
It's been a year,
someone must have some good input on the functionallity of the V60 cell phone and its connection to the car audio system....

Any input???

AUDIs latest catalogue shows a cradle for the Audi/Motorolla V60 ....

How well does it work?

Most importantly has anyone tried plugging a regular motorolla V60 into the cradle to see if it talks to the car/???

Mike

Jack
November 22nd, 2004, 16:11
Originally posted by Aronis
Most importantly has anyone tried plugging a regular motorolla V60 into the cradle to see if it talks to the car/???

Mike

I've tried it, since my RS6 came with that option. The regular V60 doesn't "talk" to the car, but the phone will charge up nicely. ;)

Aronis
November 22nd, 2004, 16:26
thanks for the input, oh well, stick with the cigarette lighter plug in LOL...

Mike

SpinEcho
November 22nd, 2004, 22:25
Mike

I have the Audi V60 and I'm sorry I got it. It is a very poorly integrated system considering the cost of the phone (and the car!)

The audio quality over the speaker is acceptable. The phone used as a handheld is fine for my purposes; I don't need extra features, cameras etc.

The voice recognition feature of the phone does not appear to work when it's in the cradle, only when it's handheld !! Does anyone have any input on this? This was supposed to be a major feature of the system!

Use of the phone while in the cradle is extremely awkward. Basically, it cannot be done safely while driving. The position of the armrest and cradle, even when extended out, is such that it requires impossible contortions of my arm. The phone buttons are small and are not raised sufficiently to allow dialing by feel. This is where some multifunction buttons on the steering wheel would come in handy... Furthermore, there is no display in the gauge cluster that tells me what numbers I am dialing, so I have to look down at the teensyweensy phone display.

I find the old analog Motorola in my TT a far better design and integration.

Cheers!

GoFastKindaGuy
November 23rd, 2004, 02:10
I agree with Spin. V60 works OK, but not as well as prior Audis.

Worse, everyone says I sound like I'm in a tin can when over the speaker. Voice actuation does not work for me in the cradle. Also, I don't seem to get any better reception than with the unit hand held. Where is the built-in antenna boost?

The voice actuated system on my "nine years and Three-Audis-Ago" S4 worked -- just not portable back then. My "four years and Two-Audis-Ago" A6 4.2 had three bars more than my hand-held in the same location. Progress? Don't think so.

:cry:

Bauer
November 23rd, 2004, 02:49
I don't even bother to use it because people can't understand me and I can't understand them.....basicly bought an over priced charger.

RIP OFF

just my 2 cents

drmrg
November 24th, 2004, 01:22
My car came with the V60 socket and armrest cradle. After a brief look around I realized that the V60 uses an older technology, but more importantly, cost like 800$ :bigeyes:

yeah. :boring:

I then looked around for a bluetooth kit, got the Nokia one, (although I recommend the Sony-ericsson one even more), and had it installed for a total cost of about 350$

I now have a fully integrated bluetooth friendly RS6 (it even pauses my PhatBox and CD changer when the phone rings)

I can switch to whichever carrier I choose, use any modern Nokia by using the Plugport compatible plug, although Right now am using a sony ericsson K700i and keep it in my pocket while I am driving, talking handsfree. Dialing is a snap with programmed voice dialing as well.

:thumb:

I would be happy to put up a few photos, but the look is so OEM that most passengers in my car do not even spot the stuff

If anyone is interested I would be happy to get rid of my old cradle for the V60.

Also on a side note the only v60 that would properly work would be the one sold to you by Audi (800$) because of a hardwire change made to make it the onl one compatible, and when you buy said phone you also have specify which carrier it is to be set up for. This eliminates most of the incentive for paying full price for a phone. (one of the reasons that cariiers will offer free or very cheap hones is in order to lock you into a one or two year contract)

Bauer
November 24th, 2004, 01:32
but more importantly, cost like 800$

I paid a 1/4 of that....there is no way I would pay $800 for this set up.

GoFastKindaGuy
November 24th, 2004, 01:41
Well, I paid the whole nut. I expected the V60 to be well integrated, fully functional and was, therefore, willing to pay for it in a car of this caliber. Didn't work out that way. So, in hind site, I paid too much. At the time I placed my order, there were none out there. Who knew?:doh:

SpinEcho
November 24th, 2004, 01:46
OK, I've read a source that says the voice dialing feature can only be done via the OnStar button, and that it will continue to work even if there is no OnStar subscription (?!)

Great. Problem is, even with my free one year subscription (which I won't be renewing), the f@#*in' voice dialing won't work for me properly.

:vgrumpy: :vgrumpy:

gjg
November 24th, 2004, 05:31
After a brief look around I realized that the V60 uses an older technology, but more importantly, cost like 800$

huh - you can/could get V60 in RadioShack for $200 and it is the "latest" software release (been around for at least a year+).

$800 is a highway robbery by the stealer. To add insult to an injury they get the old version phones dumped on them (as they do not know or, more likely, don't care) so naturaly half of the features will simply not work .....

the model V60s has a speakerphone built in.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F002%5F001%5F005&product%5Fid=17%2D1963

Aronis
November 24th, 2004, 19:04
I now have a fully integrated bluetooth friendly RS6 (it even pauses my PhatBox and CD changer when the phone rings)

I can switch to whichever carrier I choose, use any modern Nokia by using the Plugport compatible plug, although Right now am using a sony ericsson K700i and keep it in my pocket while I am driving, talking handsfree. Dialing is a snap with programmed voice dialing as well.

:thumb:

Hey, tell me more....it mutes sterio that is a simply plug in, but does it use the preinstalled car phone microphone and speaker??????

Total kit price??

pics??

Thanks,

Mike

drmrg
November 24th, 2004, 21:28
:mech:

Okies here are some of the links I used to get my car kit installed.

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=1,2,12,15,22,25,26,27,3&Number=185811&Main=185502

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec66.shtml

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/

I got the nokia advanced car kit off of ebay for close to 150$

I strongly reccomend the Sony ericsson bluetooth car kit. It offers much better compatibility with ALL bluetooth, while the nokia really only works well with the nokia stuff.

I will try to take some photos off of the inside of my car when I get back from Thanksgiving vac. (abouta week from now)

The ability to use the in car microphone and speaker is stymied by the OnStar system. Thus I have a seperate speaker and mike.

The stereo and the dash display both show the word PHONE and mute/pause the CD or phatbox when the system is in use.

Cool!
Cool!