PDA

View Full Version : Audi's NEW Look?

Nickerz
November 16th, 2004, 07:07
Who prefers the existing Audi look vs. the new look?

I for one feel it's ashame that Audi is slightly changing their look overall. Although change can be good, I feel this change is ranked with the new BMW change and I don't like it.

Just my opinion but wanted to see how the majority of Audi enthusiasts felt.

Nick

tailpipe
November 16th, 2004, 10:23
I find Audi's approach to creating a new design language much more considered and coherent than BMW's. That doesn't mean I like it - yet. Often when you see things that are radically different from what you expect, the "shock of the new" means you dislike what you see when first exposed to it. Over time, however, you begin to understand the subtlety of the design language or simply get used to a new shape.

Before the design gurus praised the TT as a breakthrough in design, there were quite a lot of mumblings among people who didn't understand design that it was too futuristic. From another era, the VW Beetle was described as an ugly little car for much of its early life. Today both cars are considered to be design classics. Cars like the DB-9 are instant icons, but it is very similar to Astons that have gone before and I wonder if it will stand the test of time.

The themes that are emerging with Audi's new language: the new grille, the belt line, overall proportions, rear light treatment, driver-centric cockpits and so on, are not yet fully formed. By the time we reach the desired final form, Audi is hoping we'll all be converts. perhaps the best example of Audi's new language is the Nuvolari concept. If all Audis end up looking like this, then it won't be all bad.

Croman
November 16th, 2004, 17:24
The New Look is HOT!

Audihead
November 16th, 2004, 22:13
Don't think it's the end of the world, just different. Any change w/ something you love is a little hard to swallow, but you'll get used to it in the end. BMW was different, it wasn't evolutionary it was a whole new design, flame surfacing sucks. Just build a good car Damn it.

:s4addict:

A418TQTip
November 16th, 2004, 23:08
I like the new designs. Looks were never THAT relevant to me anyways...

I would be lying if I said I didn't think car companies were unveiling new designs just for the heck of it though. However, now I understand they're simply after an "identity" for the new millenium...

Just my .02...

RS4Ever
November 17th, 2004, 02:32
good question.

personally,
i really like it.

about 2 days ago i saw the new A6 on the streets while driving and it really caught my attention and was flashing some huge neon signs in my head that said.. "elegance" , "luxury" , "tough" and more.. and it was for maybe looking at it for 2 seconds or so. it wasnt like when i saw it at the dealership about a couple of weeks ago... it was really nice.. i wanted to keep looking but the beast was headed in the negative direction. hopefully, i will get to see more on the streets soon.

and the A4/S4/RS4 series will look even better in my opinion.
it seems that the models are becoming more timeless like the TT is .. its like they are stretching to reach for the Nuvolari.

everyone and their own taste. this is mine. go audi! :s4addict:

Nickerz
November 17th, 2004, 07:23
I haven't seen the new Audi on the street yet, so I am anxious to view it in person and then maybe I'll feel different. I'm keeping my eyes peeled, ok, maybe I'll just go down to the dealership to see live!

Nick

Audihead
November 17th, 2004, 17:46
Originally posted by Nickerz
I haven't seen the new Audi on the street yet, so I am anxious to view it in person and then maybe I'll feel different. I'm keeping my eyes peeled, ok, maybe I'll just go down to the dealership to see live!

Nick

The new A6 is at the showrooms now, go check it out. I have the privledge to live very close to the AoA HQ in Auburn Hills MI so i see all sorts of cool things running around town. My local audi group and i just had a DYNO day. One of my friends works for the advertising arm of Audi, she brought but a new 4.2 A6 for test drives. What an awesome ride, worth a trip to the dealer. Let us know how you like it.

:s4addict:

Finnus
November 17th, 2004, 18:25
I like the direction Audi is heading in. I think they retained enough of the old while giving the car a fresh and more luxurious look. I think this new stlye is a calssic. Just my 2 cents.

Finnus
:addict:

RS4Ever
November 18th, 2004, 00:26
Originally posted by Finnus
I like the direction Audi is heading in. I think they retained enough of the old while giving the car a fresh and more luxurious look. I think this new stlye is a calssic. Just my 2 cents.

Finnus
:addict:

nicely said. :0:

ps.. in my opinion, current and new model audis arent that arousing when you see them at the dealerships... they are stll cool and all.. but its like they really "show thier shine" outside of the dealership. it may be like looking at too much art at one time.. i dont know... but once i see a single or a few at the same time on the streets or a parking lot its as if it looks even better, INMO.
i propbably have a defect or something.. oh well.

i cant wait. :s4addict:

RS4Ever
November 19th, 2004, 04:06
Originally posted by RS4Ever
...better, INMO.
i propbably have a defect or ...

of course i meant IMHO, it was too late to edit.

Yak
November 19th, 2004, 15:47
mm, no. I don't like the way Audi is heading, nor do I like the old look either.. wait, what do I like then?

In my opinion, the A6 (current, but not the new avant and previous) are nice, new A3 and A4 B6 (and A8). But when looking at Sportback's rear or new A4's rear, they're just horrible. This new "Nuvolari" light concept and the front mask they're putting into every car makes me sick.

I wish someone had just burn the Nuvolari by accident, those more compact rear lights looked better.

So, I prefer Bangle's direction, create something new, instead of just trying to revive old ones (B7 A4 looks old already). 7-series was horrible, but 6-series is awesome. 5-series & 1-series are also nice looking cars.

I just hope Audi's next generation models will look better, so I don't have to change to BMW ;)

- Yak

5000S old skool
November 28th, 2004, 04:01
I think that its looks good on some models and bad on others... on the A6 it look beutiful and fits right into the body, as well as on the A8. However, the B7 A4/S4 chassis does not look as aggressive to me as the B6 chassis. The grill looks like it was just slapped on there, as well as on the TT. But looks dont really matter much to me, actually id rather have a plain old looking car that does a 12.9 rather then an aggressive looking car that does a 12.9.

5000S old skool
November 28th, 2004, 04:05
nicely said. :0:

ps.. in my opinion, current and new model audis arent that arousing when you see them at the dealerships... they are stll cool and all.. but its like they really "show thier shine" outside of the dealership. it may be like looking at too much art at one time.. i dont know... but once i see a single or a few at the same time on the streets or a parking lot its as if it looks even better, INMO.
i propbably have a defect or something.. oh well.

i cant wait. :s4addict:

lol... maybe because you see them parked next to civics with huge body kits and fart cannons in the parking lot... lmao :doh:

gjg
November 28th, 2004, 09:09
I don't like the tail on new Avant ..... looks ricey imho :harass:

CarbonFibre
November 28th, 2004, 12:41
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
However, the B7 A4/S4 chassis does not look as aggressive to me as the B6 chassis. The grill looks like it was just slapped on there, as well as on the TT.
I agree. The new grill isn't a bad thing. It's all in the execution though. It's fine on the A8 and A6, but on the new A4/S4 it's terrible. From some angles it looks really nice, but the front of the car has too large of a flat surface (overhang). It makes it look terrible. And what about the TT? Audi hasn't applied the new grill to it yet, and it will be a while before the new one comes out (~2006).

QuattroFun
November 28th, 2004, 19:07
It is very personal is it not? I guess part of the idea with new design was to provoke discussion like this - finally, an Audi design that triggers some debate.

Now, I still love my B6 S4 nevermind some people see it as too boring and lacking aggression. Having now seen in real life the new shield grille on all the Audis were it appears (not the concepts like Nuovolari, though), my thoughts are the following:

Ranking (best to worst); A4/S4 (best proportions and sporty), A6 (slightly too big shield but looks good overall especially in lighter colors), A3 Sportsback, A8 W12 (shield way too big, vulgar, clumsy and flashy even in dark colors with the chrome frame being awfully big).

The new A4 Avant is from the rear less attractive than the old one, which was very sensual (but too heavy for me). The new Nuovolari lights look better on the A4 sedan in my opinion and I would swap my lights for those.

RS4Ever
November 30th, 2004, 05:39
Originally posted by CarbonFibre
And what about the TT? Audi hasn't applied the new grill to it yet, and it will be a while before the new one comes out (~2006).

just a pic of the RS TT...

its currently on www.fortitude.com as thier weekly pic.. ( i think they change the pics weekly)

2 more pics of TT - Click Here (http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=/Events/Essen%20Motorshow/2004/Audi#)

not sure about specs.

RS4Ever
November 30th, 2004, 05:56
just a pic of the RS TT...

its currently on www.fortitude.com as thier weekly pic.. ( i think they change the pics weekly)

2 more pics of TT - Click Here (http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=/Events/Essen%20Motorshow/2004/Audi#)

not sure about specs.

my mistake.. i meant Four... www.FOURtitude.com

CarbonFibre
November 30th, 2004, 11:07
Well that's a tuner car and not something from Audi. I don't know the specs on it either or if it's a 1.8T or 3.2.

RS4Ever
November 30th, 2004, 16:18
Originally posted by CarbonFibre
Well that's a tuner car and not something from Audi. I don't know the specs on it either or if it's a 1.8T or 3.2.

true. I forgot that its a show of modified stuff. i wonder if audi's final application of the grill on the TT will look similar.