PDA

View Full Version : Audi - build this! 600 hp RS6 ver. 2

Erik
November 13th, 2004, 15:23
The numbers are the amount produced per model.

http://www.nogaroblue.com/S4/Audinews.jpg

:addict:

freerider
November 13th, 2004, 19:43
No problem to understand for me, but can you post a translation for the other people who don't understand German?

And Audi claims to end the power-war?:vhmmm:

Greetz Johan

JaXx
November 13th, 2004, 22:37
Yeah it's hard for the ones who don't understand german.
And an Rs6 with 600 hp ? Isn't that toooo much ? Because they also say that the S6 will be faster than the current M5. Why built an new RS6 then ? Where's the challenge, the battle with Merc and BMW ?

A418TQTip
November 13th, 2004, 22:46
Can someone translate the highlights? Did they say new RS6 by the end of 2006?

Thanks! :thumb:

A418TQTip
November 13th, 2004, 22:50
Originally posted by JaXx
...Because they also say that the S6 will be faster than the current M5...

How will they pull it off with only ~455HP? :vhmmm:

Nordschleife
November 13th, 2004, 22:58
Originally posted by A418TQTip
How will they pull it off with only ~455HP? :vhmmm:
the v10 from Audi has a more interesting torque curve than BMW's, so in the real world, the Audi engined cars will be punching out of the corners harder and when you add in 4wd, all that power is getting used, so its not a non sequitur.
R+C

JaXx
November 13th, 2004, 23:22
The highlights of the article :

- The next quattro project --> RS4 , 4.2 litre V8 with direct fuel injection (FSI) will devellop 425 HP, and it will came as a limo and avant .
- There are prototypes of the new RS6. First there will be an S6 , with V10 5.2 litre and 460 hp . Then the RS6 will come and this one will be better then the current M5
---> This means I was wrong earlier today !!! :doh:
The S6 won't be better than the M5 , the RS6 will be , thought it was strange anyway :) sorry for the confusion guys, translated it in a rush.
For the new RS6 there will be a 600hp Biturbo , maybe even 630 hp.
The rest I won't translate cause I'm affraid I'll give you wrong info , I'm not sure of the last sentences.

Hope you can puzzle it out :)
Correct me if I'm wrong !

absent
November 14th, 2004, 02:30
Somebody wake me up,I'm wet dreaming!!!!!!!!
Is it April 1st already?

A418TQTip
November 14th, 2004, 03:20
Originally posted by Nordschleife
the v10 from Audi has a more interesting torque curve than BMW's, so in the real world, the Audi engined cars will be punching out of the corners harder and when you add in 4wd, all that power is getting used, so its not a non sequitur.
R+C

Yeah, but Audis throw a lot more weight around corners too... I mean, look at the new A6 3.2. It's almost 500lbs heavier than a 530i (E60)... Unless Audi works hard to shave off some weight, I can't see how the S6 will pull it off...

Oh well, it looks like they were talking about the RS6 outperforming the E60 M5, not the S6...

audirs6sport
November 14th, 2004, 06:14
Originally posted by freerider
No problem to understand for me, but can you post a translation for the other people who don't understand German?

And Audi claims to end the power-war?:vhmmm:

Greetz Johan

Maybe this is what they meant by putting an end to the horsepower war perhaps, by saying eat my s#!+ and shove it up your ass :D

itisme
November 14th, 2004, 15:29
The last sentence say, that there are no plans for RS8 and RS3...

Finnus
November 15th, 2004, 13:07
and when you add in 4wd, all that power is getting used

Robin,

I thought Quattro was a drain on HP, and not just the extra weight it adds ...

Also, I take it you really like this V10 engine - I would appreciate your tech comments on its performance, who builds it, what you like about it and comparison to the current Cosworth V-8.

Finnus

Nordschleife
November 15th, 2004, 18:51
Originally posted by Finnus
Robin,

I thought Quattro was a drain on HP, and not just the extra weight it adds ...

Also, I take it you really like this V10 engine - I would appreciate your tech comments on its performance, who builds it, what you like about it and comparison to the current Cosworth V-8.

Finnus

Finnus
Yes, the AWD does have more transmission losses than 2WD cars, but not much more than RWD. That wasn't the point I was making.

If you take a car with 600 bhp, RWD, then it is trying to put down 300 bhp per wheel when it comes out of a corner. An AWD car with the same horsepower is trying to put down 150 bhp per wheel, a much easier task. Now if the car which is trying to put 300bhp per wheel to the ground also has a very abrupt torque curve, then it will find that it has greater difficulty in immediately using all that power in a productive manner. So a car with less horsepower and AWD, with a broad torque curve will usually be able to usefully transmit more horsepower to the road than the peaky RWD car which is having more problems with wheel spin.

Now if you compare the VAG/Audi V10 engine used in the Lamborghini Gallardo with the BMW V10 used in the M5, then you will see that the Audi V10 has a broader torque curve that comes in at a lower engine speed than the BMW engine, as you would expect, one is over square and the other is under square. Interestingly, the Audi engine revs as highly as the BMW one and is dry sumped, so some clever design has gone on. Audi has built a broadband torque rich engine that can rev as hard as the typical sports oriented engines found in most M cars. Both Audi and BMW make use of variable timing and inlet manifold lengths to help them achieve their high performance. The Audi V10 is very similar in many respects to the V8. Except its response is much more immediate. There are versions of it which put out a great deal more power than than it gets in the Gallardo, without using turbochargers, which is good news.
The engine is cast by Cosworth Technology, then the block and heads are sent to Györ in Hungary where it is built and the completed engines are sent to Sant'Agata Bolognese and Neckarsulm. In the future, expect the engines to be cast at Györ as well. Anybody contemplating a trip to Hungary should try and schedule a visit to this interesting modern engine plant.

I expect this engine to appear in a great many VAG vehicles in the future.
R+C

Finnus
November 15th, 2004, 20:01
R+C,

Thank you for the clear explanations. :cheers: Very interesting and it sounds like we have many interesting developments to look forward to.

Finnus

A418TQTip
November 16th, 2004, 20:27
If you take a car with 600 bhp, RWD, then it is trying to put down 300 bhp per wheel when it comes out of a corner. An AWD car with the same horsepower is trying to put down 150 bhp per wheel, a much easier task. Now if the car which is trying to put 300bhp per wheel to the ground also has a very abrupt torque curve, then it will find that it has greater difficulty in immediately using all that power in a productive manner. So a car with less horsepower and AWD, with a broad torque curve will usually be able to usefully transmit more horsepower to the road than the peaky RWD car which is having more problems with wheel spin.

Well put. Now, LSDs improve the wheel spinning situation and if I'm not mistaken, M cars are equipped with LSDs... Of course, I'm not saying LSDs are as effective as AWD, but most definitely an improvement.

SR Stealther
November 17th, 2004, 21:53
I´ll try my best to translate:

In Neckarsulm, the last RS6 out of 8081 units was produced - a new record for the quattro GmbH, Audi´s own tuning co.

There were produced 2741 sedans and 5340 station wagons since may 2002, 999 out of these were RS6 Plus with 480 hp instead of 450hp.

"The heavy demand has exceeded our optimistic expectations by far" said Werner Frowein.

The quattro GmbH boss relies on this fact, to build a much bigger rs family in the future, which isn´t released at the end of the model cyclus as now, but will complete the program from the start.

The next quattro project is the new rs4 based on the s4: It´s 4,2L V8 with direct fuel injection (FSI) pulls 425 hp.
Also the rs4 (coming 2006) is supposed to be built in a sedan und station wagon version, to sell more cars than the previous model.
Prototypes of the next RS6 are already on the road.
Built on the S6 (V10 vaacum? with 5,2L and 460hp premiere at IAA 2005) is it supposed to exceed the M5.
For that, the V10 is featured with biturbo power and FSI and pulls about 600hp, a version with 630hp is also tested at the moment.
If the stock car will be that strong in the end of 2006 has to be clarified by testing.
A RS8 and a RS3 is not under construction.

I did my best i hope you understand it!:D

Ernesto (ERT)
November 17th, 2004, 22:12
According to an Audi tech in SoCal, who's seen the new RS4 stateside, the RS4 will have the 4.2 twin turbo in it. He's seen it, and he's scared of having to work in/on that engine compartment, becuase everything is so tight.

This is the new RS4 in the new A4 body style.

Nordschleife
November 17th, 2004, 22:53
Originally posted by Ernesto (ERT)
According to an Audi tech in SoCal, who's seen the new RS4 stateside, the RS4 will have the 4.2 twin turbo in it. He's seen it, and he's scared of having to work in/on that engine compartment, becuase everything is so tight.

This is the new RS4 in the new A4 body style.

The American sense of humor strikes again.

iconcls
November 17th, 2004, 23:32
The American sense of humor strikes again.

At least we have one.

7:53 RS6
November 18th, 2004, 09:49
Originally posted by iconcls
At least we have one.

:D :D

TaTaPiRaTa
November 18th, 2004, 12:25
I wonder mostly about the gearbox of new S6 & RS6, much more than actual HPs.

Also it is interesting how they are going to reduce the weight?
Is V10 lighter ?

:addict: :addict: :addict: