PDA

View Full Version : M5 or Quattroporte?

Benman
November 13th, 2004, 00:23
Just curious really.

They're the only NA front engine rear wheel drive four door high performance sedans available and have similar dynamics.

But which would you choose (from the perpective of non Audi folk of course:D ). I think my $$ would go to the M5. It's not pretty but then to me the Quattroporte is no real vision of beauty either (too Buicky). The performance (at least from what the tests would indicate) smokes it hands down in handling and speed. And to boot it's cheaper. Has anyone priced a Quattroporte? It seems once you add a few options it's now over $100K which should make the M5 better value.

Ben:addict:

A418TQTip
November 13th, 2004, 00:38
M5. Hands down...

The Quattroportes I've seen stickered for ~$117K.

Mr Balsen
November 13th, 2004, 08:10
I had the opportunity to drive a Maserati Quattroporte at Le Mans Classic in July. I was not impressed byt the quality of the interior. Maserati is for sure not at the same level of Audi (New A8). OK the engine is incredible and the sound amazing but that's the only reason to buy this car. And the gearbox is absolutely shit.

Cheers from Paris.
Frederic

Hawk
November 13th, 2004, 11:12
Originally posted by Mr Balsen
I had the opportunity to drive a Maserati Quattroporte at Le Mans Classic in July. I was not impressed byt the quality of the interior. Maserati is for sure not at the same level of Audi (New A8). OK the engine is incredible and the sound amazing but that's the only reason to buy this car. And the gearbox is absolutely shit.

Cheers from Paris.
Frederic
:thumb: I know the Quattroporte very well

7:53 RS6
November 13th, 2004, 14:42
M5 fore the following reasons=

The rear diff clunks loudly through the gears, and switches from saintly to satanic.

Laser guided smart bomb.

This is M5 speed, and its relentlessly, viciously, instantly addictive.

This car is fast. Viciously, wickedly, and bellowingly fast. The kind of fast that gives mid-engined supercars a bloody nose and a kick in the nuts.

This engine is on it all time, always alert, a hair trigger squeeze away from slingshotting the M5 along at eyeball flattening speed.

It gains and loses revs whit the kind of friction free, volum-dial speed of a formula 1 engine.

You never think, hmmm, this car is a touch sluggish. I wounder if they have anything a littel quicker.

This is a car that demands the drivers full attention.

Full throttle gearchanges on the quickest of manual paddlesshift settings are wincingly hard and fast.

The new M5 snaps necks.

The M5 componets- chassi, engine, transmission, steering, breakes and suspension-all mesh perfectly together to create an awwsomely unified feel. Its mechanical integration at its finest.

As you expect, the M5 will oversteear on command, but you need to provoke it, so effectivly do the chassi and suspension handle the V10 s power.

No worris about the breakes, though they are as effective at killing speed as the engine is generating it.

Im struck by how much like a tow-pedal arcade game the M5 feels. Push the right pedal for lightspeed accleration. Push the left for equally impressive deceleration.
Those breakes inspire unbelievable confidence. You can lean on them so deep into corners you finish up well beyond the point where you are expecting the antilock to kick in. They do this again and again, whit neither fuss nor fade. The pedal is beautifully weighted and free of electronic adjustment.

Launch controll is the kind of violent tarmack rippling experience thats more fire blowing top fuel dragster than airbagged leather wrapped family saloon.

M5 seems peerless. It makes traditional adversaries like Audi RS6 and MB E55 feel wooden and monosyllabic by comparison.

M5 suberb engine, machine gun transmission, indefatingable breakes and honed chassi.

M5 stand alone.

PS wounder if I be as impressed as CAR was? To be onhest I think its close at hand DS:wo:

Nordschleife
November 13th, 2004, 17:39
one or two things which have been missed:

the Quattroporte chassis is superior, the car 'shrinks' when you start wringing its neck.

M5s are driven by thugs

fortunately, the Buick is almost completely unknown in Europe and most of the comments about the similarities in looks come from people who have only seen pictures or cars on show, in the real world it looks like a Maserati.

Order a special interior and you get high quality coachbuilding from Maserati. It is important for Maserati to keep the entry price down, especially as the had / have hopes for it in the US market where so many drivers demand 4 doors, if only to be able to stow their briefcase more easily.

Latest software gearboxes are fine.

The M5 is extremely competent but its Bruce Springsteen rather than Pavarotti, the Quattroporte is a small Limousine, the M5 a bolide with 4 doors, not quite the same thing.

7:53 RS6
November 13th, 2004, 23:21
Who is fastest at the Northen Loop, anyone?
M5 or Maserati Q?

Benman
November 15th, 2004, 15:26
Originally posted by Nordschleife

M5s are driven by thugs

fortunately, the Buick is almost completely unknown in Europe and most of the comments about the similarities in looks come from people who have only seen pictures or cars on show, in the real world it looks like a Maserati.

Order a special interior and you get high quality coachbuilding from Maserati.
:D Like the thug comment:D
I've only seen the Maerati at shows and the dealer but it does have that Buick front side vents going on (maybe it looks better on the road?) The problem with the custom interior is even more $$$ making the M5 an even better deal. I will say this, the M5 will be WAY more common the the Quattroporte as again, it's a better deal, so Quattroporte owners will be able to have the rarer (if not better) car.:cheers:
Ben:addict:

bonte
November 15th, 2004, 16:33
Originally posted by Nordschleife

I've seen it a few weeks ago.
It is true that the car even seems more amazing in real life than in pictures. The qualiry I saw was very good! But then again, I'm not in the position to compar eit to a RS6, but I sure felt as good as the A8 I drove (4.2 en 4.0TDI)

http://users.pandora.be/bart_debont/alfaromeo156-photoalbum/photo-album_houten-italia-beurs_files/Photos/houten-italiabeurs-48%20(web).jpg

http://users.pandora.be/bart_debont/alfaromeo156-photoalbum/photo-album_houten-italia-beurs_files/Photos/houten-italiabeurs-49%20(web).jpg

nene
November 15th, 2004, 16:56
My vote: M5.

The looks of the Mez never did much for me. I love big cars and all, but even I would take a Bangle_fied 740 over the Mez.
But that is just my taste. I have no experience with performance on any of the forementioned vehicles.

But I'll take a Gran Sport anytime!!!