PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Lighting - RS6 door handle

nene
November 10th, 2004, 14:55
That is one of those things I just love about Audi. When I had the S4, even in the 4 years I owned it, I never knew her fully. Always something else that I learnt as part of the ownership.

Can you believe it that after over 1 year of ownership of the RS6, I just realized that we have ambient lighting in the door handle?
Something silly perhaps, but I just noticed it last night.

How much do you think something like that cost? Part of owning an $85KUSD car I guess!

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/46RS6DoorHandle.jpg

Yak
November 10th, 2004, 16:38
Originally posted by nene
How much do you thing something like that cost? Part of owning an $85KUSD car I guess!

Heh, nice little detail. Althought, the cost of the RS6 here is nearly $200k USD, so.. consider yourself lucky with those prices & those little details you find ;)

- Yak

Hy Octane
November 10th, 2004, 17:10
Good find! I havent noticed this yet. I'm going down to look now..

Erik
November 10th, 2004, 17:30
Just one of the reasons why Audi's interior is considered second to none.

I changed the speakers once and had a look at the lamps + wiring, but it's a year back so can't really remember any details.

Aronis
November 10th, 2004, 18:35
I miss my heated steering wheel....

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

Why did they leave that item out???

Mike

Audihead
November 10th, 2004, 22:48
My B6 S4 has this as well, great little touch. :thumb:

:s4addict:

audirs6sport
November 11th, 2004, 01:53
Originally posted by Aronis
I miss my heated steering wheel....

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

Why did they leave that item out???

Mike

I think you can just add this feature by replacing steering wheel and rewiring. I too, GREATLY appreciate the heated steering wheel. However, I would appreciate even more if they added seat coolers!!!

RS4Ever
November 11th, 2004, 01:56
sweet deal:0:

App
November 11th, 2004, 07:05
I think I can handle finding the car door handle just fine, but those three small garage door buttons overhead sure could do with some ambient lighting.

JaXx
November 11th, 2004, 13:27
I also have it on my A6 2.5TDI ! Nice little details

Aronis
November 12th, 2004, 13:52
Originally posted by App
I think I can handle finding the car door handle just fine, but those three small garage door buttons overhead sure could do with some ambient lighting.

I agree 10000000000%...LOL....

I find mine by brail method LOL...

Mike

LIRS6
November 12th, 2004, 21:38
can't find it on mine

Yak
November 12th, 2004, 23:01
But that's just inside? New BMW 1-series has lighting outside, in the door handles. That's a nice little detail ;)

- Yak

JaXx
November 12th, 2004, 23:27
Jep , just beneath the door handel. I think every A6/S6/RS6 has it , no ? I had it on my 1.9TDI and i also have it now on my 2.5TDI so ...

JAXRS6
November 13th, 2004, 16:37
OK, I found the little bar in the place where the opening photo shows. However, it is not putting out any light. This is something I will mention to dealer next time I take it in, but (to me) not worrisome because I have had the car for 28K miles and no matter how dark, I've always found my way out!:D

I agree re need for better lighting of garage door buttons but feel even stronger about the need for a light under the hood. Hood lights are standard on the cheapest of US cars, yet difficult or impossible to find on anything German (and maybe other non-US brands but I'm not sure).

In the US, some of our gas stations don't have the best lighting. A flashlight is needed when checking the oil level at night because of the poor placement of the dip stick hole relative to visibility at night. So I've been using a mini-flashlight, gripped between my teeth since both hands are required for the dipstick when checking oil.

Do all the gas stations in Germany have good lighting? Do Germans like holding flashlights in their teeth? If the answer to both these questions is no, can someone tell me why German cars have no lighting under the hood?:confused:

JaXx
November 13th, 2004, 16:40
I go often to Germany , and the lights at the gas stations are as fine as here in Belgium. No lights needed

Yak
November 14th, 2004, 00:29
Lightning under the hood? Sounds illegal, at least when driving ;). Never needed any, all the gas stations have lights.

- Yak

JAXRS6
November 14th, 2004, 01:31
Thanks for those clarifications. One from me too: It's not that US gas stations don't have lights, but that sometimes the lights are not located so that the driver can see into the engine compartment. Ergo the need for a flashlight.

I doubt US gas stations will get any better soon, so do you supposed AOA would be able to convince the powers that be in Germany to equip US cars with a light for the engine compartment?

Naahhh. In a perfect world, maybe, but not this one.

JAXRS6
November 14th, 2004, 07:05
By God, there IS a red light in my front door interior handle! Finally had a chance to really look tonight, in very dark conditions & lowering my head to see up into the handle's upper area. There it was -- illuminating not the handle as much as my finger finding the handle. Very clever without being a distraction -- now that I know it's there. (Thanx, nene!)

Sorry about the pessimistic post above. Bad mood I guess. Feeling much better after a great dinner at the 2nd highest restaurant in the US -- Coach Insignia atop the GM world HQ in the Renaissance Center, 71st floor, 4-star food and incredible city lights & downtown & river views including Canada, just opened in downtown Detroit. Autos old & new on display in the Ren Cen, too, til the wee hours...kinda cool!:cool2: :incar: :cool2:

gjg
November 14th, 2004, 07:33
the need for a light under the hood. Hood lights are standard on the cheapest of US cars,

JAXRS6, the reason for the light on the above cars is a need for maitenance and repairs anywhere anytime ..:harass:

Fix Or Repair Daily type of operation ...... ? :applause: