PDA

View Full Version : MOBIL 1 0w40 Urgent Problem ?

TaTaPiRaTa
November 6th, 2004, 15:22
Hi All!

I did 24k km maintenance yesterday. My dealer put Mobil 1 0w40 instead of VAG 505.01 specs one (which they don't have at the moment).

Can anybody advise if it is safe to go for a 3000 km trip on this oil? I need to go tomorrow.

Can I keep it afterwards till next change or should I change to VAG 505.01 specs asap when I'm back?

Dealer says they always used Mobil 1 for RS4s.... but THIS WAS THEIR FIRST RS6 !

BTW I still have 2 weeks of warranty (24mo in Europe)

thanks

:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

Hy Octane
November 6th, 2004, 16:22
I'm not sure if the warranty in europe is as strict as the one here in the USA, but we have been told here that using any other oil but the Castrol 505.01 will void our warranty ( apparently there is a reason they demand this special oil, and if something happens as a result of using another, they will examine an oil sample, determine its not right and void the warranty.)
Its entirely possible that this dealer may have put your warranty at risk as a result. Interesting .. Perhaps an urgent call to your local Audi rep is in order. I wouldnt drive the thing until I had talked to someone about it..

eph94
November 6th, 2004, 17:22
Originally posted by Hy Octane
I'm not sure if the warranty in europe is as strict as the one here in the USA, but we have been told here that using any other oil but the Castrol 505.01 will void our warranty ( apparently there is a reason they demand this special oil, and if something happens as a result of using another, they will examine an oil sample, determine its not right and void the warranty.)

So we can only use CASTROL branded 505.01 spec oil? If so, that's plain wrong.

Hy Octane
November 6th, 2004, 17:54
Yep...Thats what I have been told by AoA and my service manager. There was an insert in my Owners Manual that specifically says we are to use ONLY the Castrol 505.01. Its what came with the car in the trunk and its the only one they have at the dealers..

gjg
November 6th, 2004, 22:00
My dealer put Mobil 1 0w40 instead of VAG 505.01 specs one (which they don't have at the moment).

have them buy the 505.01 oil at next gas pump and replace it - this is not the spec'd oil. Be carefull - Shell 505.01 is semi synthetic, not fylly synt.

I had similar issue with my "old" rs6 (dealer put in 0W30 syntetic Castrol) and, after phone call to the factory, they replaced that with 505.01 specs. This 0W30 (if it is 503.01 VW specs) may be ok for a cold winter but not for normal driving. And this Mobil is NOT listed under approved oils ......

The dealer should know better - at least they should read the damn manual if nothing else.

gg

avdh
November 9th, 2004, 08:39
Don't panic, using Mobil 1 will not harm your engine in any way.

I would only recommend that you don't keep it for as many miles as you would with a VAG 505.01. 9000 miles should be fine, however on my car, as we normally use similar oil than the Mobil 1, I change oil every 4500 miles (although we are only required every 9000 miles in SA. I use 5w-40 synthetic (Shell Helix Ultra - Fully Synthetic) The Shell without the "Ultra" is a semi synthetic oil.

We also use Castrol TXT Softech LL01 Fully Synthetic 5w-30 on the S3.

tgroeger
November 9th, 2004, 11:13
Originally posted by TaTaPiRaTa
...Can anybody advise if it is safe to go for a 3000 km trip on this oil? I need to go tomorrow...

I had the same problem and contacted the Quattro GmbH.

If you are back, please change the oil immedialtly. The proplem at first is not the engine, but some other oil cooled aggregates (turbo).
VAG 505.01 is developped for vag "pumpe duese engines" in the past.

The oil can take high pressure and temperatures.
The RS6 eninge is today the only enigne that uses this oil.
The oil is mostly available at volkswagen service.

Greetings

gjg
November 9th, 2004, 13:26
Andy, I had this same problem with my original RS6 and I also called the factory ....

505.01 (5W40) is the only approved oil. You can use 503.01 (which I think is 0W30) as emergency replacement - they did not recomend to used 0W30 outside of cold climate.

I do have the contact to the factory if anyone is interested.

Altough the Mobil 1 more likely will not do damage it is outside of specs and warranty does not apply. 0W40 this time of year in Europe seems bit premature .....

gg

Benman
November 9th, 2004, 15:21
Yep...Thats what I have been told by AoA and my service manager. There was an insert in my Owners Manual that specifically says we are to use ONLY the Castrol 505.01. Its what came with the car in the trunk and its the only one they have at the dealers..
Exactly. AOA is VERY strict about this. They will sample test it. Make no mistake.

Ta TaPiRa Ta,

Mobil 1 is good stuff but I'm not sure if Audi of Europe is as anal (I would think they are). I would also advise you change it back asap at the dealers expense (it was their mistake afterall).

TaTaPiRaTa
November 15th, 2004, 10:26
Thanks all!

Dealer says I'm not on "Long Life service" so I can stay with the Mobil 1...

If anybody has telephone number to Quattro so I can check it up myslef I would be obliged very much...

thx

tgroeger
November 15th, 2004, 11:12
Originally posted by TaTaPiRaTa
Thanks all!

If anybody has telephone number to Quattro so I can check it up myslef I would be obliged very much...

thx

Here it is:

quattro GmbH
Postfach
85045 Ingolstadt
Telefon: +49 841/89-0

Benman
November 15th, 2004, 15:45
Originally posted by tgroeger
Here it is:

quattro GmbH
Postfach
85045 Ingolstadt
Telefon: +49 841/89-0
Funny that their office is in Ingolstadt but they're in Neckarsulm? Guess they only build cars there and headquarters are at same place as Audi's?

gjg
November 15th, 2004, 20:46

Marcin, try this one:

+49- 7132-318547 tel.
+49- 7132-3188777 fax

e-mail:
hanns.breiter@audi.de

herr Hanns Breiter

I've spoke with a VP in Neklarsum and after raising the issues this was the gentleman responding to the problem (swiftly I should add - less 24 hrs response time) on behalf of customer service. And he provided all answers and support - as a matter of fact he DHL's the manuals, DVD and some additional stuff to my office the same day we've discussed the issues.

As far as customer service goes in the factory I have to give them 10 on 10 scale ratting.

George

gg

JP4
November 16th, 2004, 03:35
Its entirely possible that this dealer may have put your warranty at risk as a result. Interesting .. Perhaps an urgent call to your local Audi rep is in order. I wouldnt drive the thing until I had talked to someone about it..

I agree completely with Hy Octane. Contact the rep immediately and get Audi on board.

gjg
November 16th, 2004, 06:37

Marcin, the dealer is full of shit - all what is takes is to RTFM.

Right in the manual it says specifically what oil to use, period - there is no "long life or no life or anything else. 505.01 is what is says, bold letters.

Long life has little to do with the oil specification as defined in the VW requirements.

Perhaps the dealer can hire someone to the service department who can, at least, read the f.....g manual if nothing else.

We had exactly the same issue just little bit south from your place and the level of ignorance almost reached the AoA's attitude ..... What was unbelievable to me was the arrogance displayed by the manager(s) when they looked at the RS6 manual (since this was third round I have made enlarged copies so they could read it without any problem), the bold writting said 505.01 and insisted that they are right and Audi has not a slightest idea what oil to use in their engines ....

I'm not sure if the warranty in europe is as strict as the one here in the USA

yes, as far as I know it is - we were told that in case of engine problems there will be oil sample taken to determine correct oil

TaTaPiRaTa
November 16th, 2004, 10:09
thanks to all of you responding. I'll let you know the outcome...

Benman
November 16th, 2004, 18:45
Originally posted by gjg

We had exactly the same issue just little bit south from your place and the level of ignorance almost reached the AoA's attitude ..... What was unbelievable to me was the arrogance displayed by the manager(s) when they looked at the RS6 manual (since this was third round I have made enlarged copies so they could read it without any problem), the bold writting said 505.01 and insisted that they are right and Audi has not a slightest idea what oil to use in their engines .

Sad that the dealer thinks they know better.

TaTaPiRaTa
November 18th, 2004, 12:13
They are changing the oil to the right one.
There was opinion that I can stay with the current one till spring then change to 505.01.

Anyway I'm glad this forum educated me to check what dealer did and now there is first profit from that....
:rs6kiss: