PDA

View Full Version : brake warning light

plus
November 4th, 2004, 13:20
I have found that the brake warning light (the one with the exclamation mark in the middle) has come on 3 times in the last few months - seemingly for no apparent reason. Similarly the tyre pressure warning comes on for no reason sometimes saying all the tyres are at the wrong prssure.

anyone else had this problem?

:addict: PLUS

BlackRS6
November 4th, 2004, 13:56
I had the brake light problem, it ended up being a brake switch that needed to be replaced.

eph94
November 4th, 2004, 16:04
Me too. And it took my dealer 4 days to diagnose the problem.

Nordschleife
November 4th, 2004, 17:33
Originally posted by plus
........the tyre pressure warning comes on for no reason sometimes saying all the tyres are at the wrong pressure.

when the tyre pressure warning symbol is illuminated, as opposed to the tyre pressure critical event symbol, it means that the tyre pressure differs from that value recorded when the tyre pressure reference value was last set. As tyre pressure varies with temperature and humidity, as well as with the volume of air inside the tyre, this warning is frequently triggered by changes in atmospheric temperature and pressure, such as those that occur during a Foehn wind.
If this bothers you unduely, you might like to fill your tyres with nitrogen, like the truckers. N is less hygroscopic than compressed air so less likely to significantly change pressure, it also permeates through tyre compound more slowly than compressed air, so your tyres stay at their inflated pressure longer.
Nitrogen is readily available at truck stops and tyre fitters. Should you choose to do this, remember to change the valve caps to the mid green ones which warn everybody that your tyres are filled with N.
The RS6 has the same tyre pressure monitors as the R8 uses at Le Mans, without building a great deal of intelligence into the system, we can expect to be warned about changes in pressure in the future, the system is operating to its design specifications.

R+C

gjg
November 4th, 2004, 20:27
fill your tyres with nitrogen

works very well, I've used it on all tires year around.

If the tire pressure system gives you problems you can use Tirerack's monitoring system which has digital readout for wheel....

got boost
February 17th, 2010, 13:53
Hey guys, had to bring this thread back up. Anybody got the part # to the switch and any DIY info (location/difficulty level/etc.)

TIA

basso
February 17th, 2010, 14:19
I have found that the brake warning light (the one with the exclamation mark in the middle) has come on 3 times in the last few months - seemingly for no apparent reason. Similarly the tyre pressure warning comes on for no reason sometimes saying all the tyres are at the wrong prssure.

Check brake fluid also if low you can have the brake light go off, this is the same light as you get with the hand brake set.