PDA

View Full Version : About DRC..

Hy Octane
October 22nd, 2004, 20:50
It seems to be such a simple yet effective system I am kinda surprised that the RS6 is the only car they decided to use it on. Has it been shelved?
Also, if say a hydraulic hose springs a leak and the fluid drains out, does the car collapse or what?

7:53 RS6
October 22nd, 2004, 22:15
Sure DRC is nice. But i hate to say this, MB SL55 and its ABC Sorts systen is way better. To bad its not on E55 2003, dont know if its on the latest model of E55.

Hope RS4 is getting DRC or better like SL55.

Benman
October 22nd, 2004, 22:51
I'm with Hy Octane on this one. I for one am glad that Audi used a mechanical method (instead of electrical) to use towards handling. It seems nowadays that EVERY single car manufactures resorts to yet more and more electronic systems to control the vehicle. The fact that DRC uses an "antique" mechanical means over electronics kind of endears it to me.

Ben:addict:

bilbozilla
October 23rd, 2004, 05:01
Nord, do you want to step in here? I for one like the fact that Audi used simple rules of physics to get the car to behave the way it does. I think it's a fantastic system. Contrary to 8:29's comments, when I drove the E55, I could imagine the computers whirring and after a couple of quick flicks of the steering wheel, everything ground to a halt in order for the car to decide how to best handle the situation. I'll stick with the DRC system, thank you.

October 23rd, 2004, 07:24
Originally posted by bilbozilla
Nord, do you want to step in here? I for one like the fact that Audi used simple rules of physics to get the car to behave the way it does. I think it's a fantastic system. Contrary to 8:29's comments, when I drove the E55, I could imagine the computers whirring and after a couple of quick flicks of the steering wheel, everything ground to a halt in order for the car to decide how to best handle the situation. I'll stick with the DRC system, thank you.

Check my E55 thred and you will see im whit you!

Read my post above again bilbozilla, im talking about the SL55s ABC sport system. Its way better then DRC and E55 system. This systen is not in E55. So i agre as i said before the RS6 is superior E55 in suspension and fore sure steering. But you really try the SL55 And the ABC sport systen and you will now what im talking about. The car do not roll or pitch at all. Porsche 997 Carera S roll and pitch more!

Nordschleife
October 23rd, 2004, 18:13
Well, I haven't driven an RS6 on the street without DRC to make a fair comparison (track is different). But, I like the way DRC works at the beginning of any manoeuver, but I feel it then lacks something. It doesn't remediate the basic flaws in the underlying suspension system. Its brilliant at anti-dive, which is what Yamaha developed it for, and probably saves time running a slalom through the cones.

Really good ABC (Active Body Control) is obviously the way of the future, I look forward to feeling like Valentino Rossi as I snake my way through a series of curves, but I don't know when this will be available.

I should be visiting Affalterbach before Christmas and look forward to trying a new ABC car then.

I am not surprised Audi has done little with DRC, quattro GmbH lacks sufficient internal engineering design resources to run with an idea and develop it.

Presently Audi AG is at the 'Develop everything internally' end of the pendulum swing, though I do see that it is turning and going back to 'Use external resources for low volume developments', which is why the original RS4 was developed by SMS.

Last year Audi was the only bit of VAG that made any money, and if you consider Audi's stable of SEAT and Lamborghini as well as the marques own cars, are you surprised. Yet they were still subjected to the same budget restrictions as other parts of the Group in recent years. So there has not been the investment that there ought to have been, and cost cutting has reached the point where it is noticable when you go looking for it.

Suspension control is really important as the cars get heavier and heavier and I quite expect that what is state of the art in another five years will allow street cars on normal cars to approach and even surpass present performance from GT cars on tracks, which are not presently allowed smart suspension, even if on the homologated car.

R+C

bilbozilla
October 23rd, 2004, 18:32
8:29 - please accept my apologies. Should have read more thoroughly.

R+C - Thanks for your comments.

J

October 23rd, 2004, 19:09
Originally posted by bilbozilla
8:29 - please accept my apologies. Should have read more thoroughly.

R+C - Thanks for your comments.

J

Of course:thumb:

Aronis
October 23rd, 2004, 21:00
The pure mechanical approach is being lost to advanced electronics.

The electronic shocks of the Corvette and Caddy are very interesting. They use electromagnetic fields to vary the stiffness of the shock, and that system is working well so far, the next gen and next gen will be better.

I agree with the issue of reliability when a CPU is doing critical number crunching....

Honda's Four Wheel Steering on the Prelude was fully mechanical, unlike the system Mazda used on the 626 which was electronic. I am not sure about the four wheel system of the GM trucks, but probably electronic..... Of course 4 wheel steering died in it's use for cars, did not really make that much of a difference, in trucks it nice for smaller turning radius.

The use of electronics in suspensions will continue to grow and each manufacturer will out do the last....and as ABS has gotten better and better and more common, ABC will rule the day in the future, even a Hyndai will have Generation 10 ABS and Generation whatever ABC in the future.

Mike

by then all cars will handle the same and we will be in the grave LOL

Wang
October 24th, 2004, 06:44
Your car comparing suspensions on dissimilar class of cars. The RS6 is 4 door sedan, the SL55 is 2 door 2 seat coupe.

October 24th, 2004, 09:40
Originally posted by Wang
Your car comparing suspensions on dissimilar class of cars. The RS6 is 4 door sedan, the SL55 is 2 door 2 seat coupe.

I Just saying that ABC is superior DRC at this time. What ever car its on. Or will be put on for now. For all i know ABC could have been on a Hundai and still preform better than DRC, that was my point. Not thinking to much about wich cars it sat on.

audirs6sport
October 24th, 2004, 12:07
Have you ever conducted a side by side comparison? I hope you're not just saying that because it "FEELS" like it's better by all means.

October 24th, 2004, 14:38
Originally posted by audirs6sport
Have you ever conducted a side by side comparison? I hope you're not just saying that because it "FEELS" like it's better by all means.

If you mean compered SL55 to RS6.
Well first i have to say that fore me i can in my one mind make a fair comparsion by just driving my RS6 alot on track and driving my friends SL55 some times hard as well.(dont want to sound like a bragger here, couldent find other words) At this point if driving it hard you dont nead to be a rocket sientist to feel that RS6 roll and pitch more than SL55 dose if driving it whit ABC sport button in.

My guess is that you have not tried them both hard cuse you can really feeal it. In the same way i did drive the E55 at challenge and came to the conclusion that RS6 is superior in suspension compered to E55.

But my saying is not standing on this alone.

We also did drive www.challenge.com whit SL55 and my RS6. There is no doubt and has never been that roll and pitch takes a lot of enegy of the car going around a corner.

At this track you really feal it cuse its like a 2km short track at a airport whit many tvists and slow bends. Not like high speeds bends that do not challenge suspension that much.

Have you seen pics of my rs6 at www.challenge.nu in the corners and see how it compreses. Or at this sight here at Gelleråsen. Well then you se how it roll and pitch compered to the SL55 at challenge.

Last check thread here named Advanced suspension test here!

Car mag Automobile did check the cars around track Gotland for some days. See at the differens degres of lurch on the different cars. The big differ on RS6 and SL55 is easy to feal if driving inspierd on track or street. Hope this is helps you undestand the diffrens on the cars in this matter.

Me is the last person to just pass on things that i have heard from a friends friend if you know what im meaning.

Learning by doing is my game!

October 24th, 2004, 14:48
Thread, Tested Active suspension

They also measured the amount of lurch (name?)

Porsche 997 1,93 degrees

MB SL55 0,59 degrees

Audi RS6 Plus (Avant) 2,58 degrees

BMW 645i 0,54 degrees

Jaguar S-Type R 3,23 degrees

Volvo S60R 3,43 degrees

October 24th, 2004, 15:09
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
Thread, Tested Active suspension

They also measured the amount of lurch (name?)

Porsche 997 1,93 degrees

MB SL55 0,59 degrees

Audi RS6 Plus (Avant) 2,58 degrees

BMW 645i 0,54 degrees

Jaguar S-Type R 3,23 degrees

Volvo S60R 3,43 degrees

Also see pics of my car at Pics: Race of the Year (RS6, E55, 996 Techart etc.)

SL55 do not compess like this, its just simpel facts. It do not roll almost at al. Its that litel roll on SL55 that it hardly can be seen in pics that it roll.

Hy Octane
October 24th, 2004, 18:00
Good stuff guys, ..

But what would happen if a hose sprung a leak and the hydraulic fluid leaked out? curious as to what the suspension would do.. anyone know?

October 24th, 2004, 19:19
If you mean the DRC oil would leak. I think noting would hapen, the under laying reall suspension would work still. But the car is fore sure going to roll even more i if the DRC oil was poring out and it was no pressure in the DRC system and the whole system.

But this i dont really know for sure i must say.

But then agin DRC is conected to all of the cars schocabsorbers. Conected whit hydroliclines, left front to right back and right front to left back. So oil presses from one corner of car to the oposit.
On every line its a DRC unit in it ther is a gasvolym and a ventilationspacgade. Gasvolym is to make the fuid expand and stopp the car from ex go to bottom if flying all 4 wheel in air.

But its not always the system can stopp this i know. I been up in air whit 4 wheel more then once, but onley one time me and Erik really did fly on a contry side road to Västervik and when we landed the system did not save us from relly going thru the whole suspension down to its bottom when landed.
I can promis that this did sound like a big bang thru the hole car.

No problems we just keept driving, but the sound when going thru the suspension and ouer necks up in the roof did make ouer :heart: :heart: bounce.

The ventilation pac give a extra stiffing up when shockabsorber fluid compresses from one end to onother. Ex in the entrance to a bend when car is starting to roll the vetilation in the shockabsorber first make the roll les, then the vetilations in the DRC units make the roll easier and under better controll. The same thing under accleration and breaking. System is totaly hydralic/mekanic and do not change the adjustments under driving. It onley makes separations on the diffrent moving angels. This means that its just a passiv system whit some lines and ventils whit out to go to make it aktiv.

Its farly cheep effectiv and working good. But sorry to say that the future is active suspension. As the SL55 for ex.

Even the BMW 645 active system preforms whit much smaller roll and pitch movments than RS6. Now the onley reason why im not saying its better than RS6 is becuse i havent tried it at track or street hard yet. But SL55 i have.

Less roll gives better angel on tiers to tarmac and more grip as followed that allows faster speed thru bends.

teamimola/rs6
October 25th, 2004, 17:40
At high speeds around corners it is nothing like having some stasis coilovers. This is the way im going. If you are someone who likes to track your car, or even the occasional auto cross. DRC is lame in my opinion. and the plow factor sucks. I can’t wait to put some coilovers and sways on this beast. Especially since I live in the canyons and drive windy corners every day. Just need to come up with the $$$$$$$$

Benman
October 26th, 2004, 00:27
Originally posted by teamimola/rs6
At high speeds around corners it is nothing like having some stasis coilovers. This is the way im going. If you are someone who likes to track your car, or even the occasional auto cross. DRC is lame in my opinion. and the plow factor sucks. I can’t wait to put some coilovers and sways on this beast. Especially since I live in the canyons and drive windy corners every day. Just need to come up with the $$$$$$$$
:confused: Actually, it depends on what you'll be using the Beast for. If you intend on solely tracking the car than Stasis coilovers will be an improvement. If however you plan on using it mostly on real world roads than be careful with how extreme of a set up you go with. What works excellent on the track does not always translate well onto the street. DRC is a good compromise dispite your opinion.

iconcls
October 26th, 2004, 02:28
If you are someone who likes to track your car, or even the occasional auto cross.

Track sure, but who the hell auto-X's a 4200 lbs. sedan.

audirs6sport
October 26th, 2004, 02:29
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
Also see pics of my car at Pics: Race of the Year (RS6, E55, 996 Techart etc.)

SL55 do not compess like this, its just simpel facts. It do not roll almost at al. Its that litel roll on SL55 that it hardly can be seen in pics that it roll.

If you're so worried about the body roll, perhaps you should contact stasis engineering to get their coilover suspension set. I'm sure you won't worry so much about body roll afterwards :)

audirs6sport
October 26th, 2004, 02:36
Originally posted by Benman
:confused: Actually, it depends on what you'll be using the Beast for. If you intend on solely tracking the car than Stasis coilovers will be an improvement. If however you plan on using it mostly on real world roads than be careful with how extreme of a set up you go with. What works excellent on the track does not always translate well onto the street. DRC is a good compromise dispite your opinion.

Yes, stasis has a pretty fair off explanation about this matter. http://www.stasisengineering.com/faq.shtml

teamimola/rs6
October 26th, 2004, 04:55
Originally posted by iconcls
Track sure, but who the hell auto-X's a 4200 lbs. sedan. set up is key in order to retain a level of comfort on the street. ill do my home work on this one.

eph94
October 26th, 2004, 18:20
Originally posted by iconcls
Track sure, but who the hell auto-X's a 4200 lbs. sedan.

I took my RS6 to an Evolution Autocross School and the instructors couldn't believe how well it handled the courses. I actually enjoyed autocrossing with the RS6 more than the MINI. I guess with the MINI I expect it to handle the transitions well, but there is a certain masochistic joy tossing around 4200 lbs and seeing it actually do what I want it to do.

teamimola/rs6
October 26th, 2004, 18:25
some one who is a real "Enthusiast"

iconcls
October 26th, 2004, 18:34
Originally posted by JJV-MA
but there is a certain masochistic joy tossing around 4200 lbs and seeing it actually do what I want it to do.

JJV, I knew you would chime in, and yes, you're a "Enthusiastic" masochist.;)

October 26th, 2004, 18:41
If you're so worried about the body roll, perhaps you should contact stasis engineering to get their coilover suspension set. I'm sure you won't worry so much about body roll afterwards :)
Dont take me wrong,iam the last to be worried:D

The last thing i would do to my beast is to start chaging things, if started i could se my self converting it to a GT3 or CSL. And it would cost me to plenty. I prefering to buy one GT3 / CSL its cheaper.
But as others say as well, RS6 preform darn god stock as well.

We wher just compering cars:thumb: Try the SL55 ABC and be suprised of how good it is.

Cheers!

October 26th, 2004, 18:42
some one who is a real "Enthusiast"

Count me in:dance:

audirs6sport
October 27th, 2004, 12:34
I wasn't really impressed at all. It still feels like a big boat. But hey, nice car though. However, on the otherhand, it surely feels alot better than the sluggish SL500. :D I still think comparing a family wagon VS. a sports car is... If you want to compare the DRC VS. ABC, I wouldn't consider this method to be of any value. Unless you just flat out want to compare how RS6 does VS. the SL55, then that would be a different story. I can see why you would though. It's always interesting to see where your car stands compared to others.:p

audirs6sport
October 27th, 2004, 12:46

Agreed. DRC isn't the best package available on the planet for tracking purpose, but it works "OK" around local freeways and streets. Afterall, it is a street car not a track car. :)

November 5th, 2004, 22:01
I wasn't really impressed at all. It still feels like a big boat. But hey, nice car though. However, on the otherhand, it surely feels alot better than the sluggish SL500. :D I still think comparing a family wagon VS. a sports car is... If you want to compare the DRC VS. ABC, I wouldn't consider this method to be of any value. Unless you just flat out want to compare how RS6 does VS. the SL55, then that would be a different story. I can see why you would though. It's always interesting to see where your car stands compared to others.:p

If you where not impressed of the chassi preformans on SL55 compered to RS6, I guess you forgot to push in ABC Sport button on SL55:D :cheers: