PDA

View Full Version : GIAC Flashed RS6 impressions

NWRS6
October 21st, 2004, 06:42
HI all:

Finally flashed the RS6 with the software including the required tip chip.

Impresssions:

RS6 drives just like stock. Very smooth when you are just cruising around town but when you get on the gas, the car becomes a BEAST. I do not feel any weird shifting or bahaviour. Granted, the update was just done. It could also be that I have the most recent GIAC updated program.

It is NOT a night and day change say between an A6 4.2 and RS6. The difference is more akin to comparing an A6 4.2 and an S6. I've also noticed that I can trigger the traction control light more often.

The flashloader is very handy. I can switch between stock and chipped in less than 30 seconds. I will probably run stock when I put on my snow tires, and switch back to chipped after winter.

teamimola/rs6
October 21st, 2004, 08:37
im still havnt made up my mind weather to chip or not. in your opinion is the car faster? and do you have a 100 octain program? and have you tried 100 in the tank. how is the tip chip? are you happy with the shift speed?

NWRS6
October 21st, 2004, 16:43
Hi:

The RS6 is definitely faster. The chip does provide an extra 70hp and 100 ft/lb torque...that is ALOT.

I did the tip chip before the engine upgrade. I was quite happy with the tip chip. You can always do that without doing the engine upgrade. The tip chip makes the car more responsive. Apparently, the stock shift speed is .8sec vs GIAC's .2 second.

No, I did not do the 100 Octane program. The chipped RS6 is already way too fast for me now.

Aronis
October 21st, 2004, 20:55
Originally posted by NWRS6
Hi:

The RS6 is definitely faster. The chip does provide an extra 70hp and 100 ft/lb torque...that is ALOT.

I did the tip chip before the engine upgrade. I was quite happy with the tip chip. You can always do that without doing the engine upgrade. The tip chip makes the car more responsive. Apparently, the stock shift speed is .8sec vs GIAC's .2 second.

No, I did not do the 100 Octane program. The chipped RS6 is already way too fast for me now.

This Transmission upgrade is interesting...

If it can shift 1st to 2nd 0.6 seconds faster, than does that make the 0-60 time any quicker by it self without any engine mod??? It seems that you would drop a tenth or so?

I agree that the Stock Transmision is a slow shifter....for sure....8/10ths sound about right. but droping to 2/10ths is a HUGE change.

What differences did you notice with that upgrade alone?

Mike

Hy Octane
October 21st, 2004, 21:15
Its interesting to note that GIAC made the same claim with the Tip chip for the A6 4.2. They claimed it would make it like "Superbike Shifting" and quoted a time of .2 sec as well. In actuality, the shift time was only marginally better, say from 2 seconds to about 1.5. When pressed for an explanation, they said that Audi and ZF had made some changes and that the tranny was physically incapable of shifting any faster since it needs that time to mechanically complete the shift. They also said that the tip chip made a more drastic difference in earlier 4.2's (2000-2002) than the 03-04 models.

Its always a trade off between performance and longevity....

NWRS6
October 22nd, 2004, 01:04
Originally posted by Aronis
This Transmission upgrade is interesting...

If it can shift 1st to 2nd 0.6 seconds faster, than does that make the 0-60 time any quicker by it self without any engine mod??? It seems that you would drop a tenth or so?

I agree that the Stock Transmision is a slow shifter....for sure....8/10ths sound about right. but droping to 2/10ths is a HUGE change.

What differences did you notice with that upgrade alone?

Mike

With the tip upgrade alone, the RS6 feels more sprightly off the line. Also, that long slur between shifts have improved considerably.

Doing the tip chip alone was well worth it. I did this first to see if there would be any probelms. No problems so I went ahead and did the engine flash.

Aronis
October 22nd, 2004, 19:55
So overall shifting was smoother with the Tip mod alone, that can take some of the ruff edges off...

I wonder what the reasoning was for Audi to program it to shift more slowly???? I would have guessed that they would have it shift faster in Sport mode. than in drive mode, if there were any fuel efficiency issues, but if there is a longevity issue, that will be a potential long term problem.

I am more interested in the truth behind the RS6 transmission being take from the A8 unchanged, thus that would make there be more available replacement transmissions 3 to 5 years from now, than if it were an RS6 only transmission....

Any thoughts?

Mike

NWRS6
October 23rd, 2004, 23:37
HI:

I imagine they have it shift slowly for that feeling of smoothness?

I've been told that there is less wear and tear when the shifting is quicker, rather than prolonged.

In regards to the RS6 tranny pulled directly from the A8, I guess it's true as they did not have another transmission at the time that could handle the level of torque on the RS6. The RS6 engine is capable of so much more power. The limiting factor is the tranny.

luv2xlr8
October 25th, 2004, 02:39
Although I dont have a 450+hp Audi, I also have the same problem. The tranny is the weakest part on my WRX and its the major thing that holds people back from making big power. They are sooo fragile from the factory:cry:

Aronis
October 25th, 2004, 14:28
At least you can pick up a new tranny for a WRX easily and for not a fortune!! Of course everything is relative.

My nephew has a WRX STI and has modified it.....fun little car, I have driven one before, almost got one, probably should have LOL, much less money and the dealer is only 30 minutes away..

Heading to NH to day, 5 hours, for 15 k service.....

Mike

luv2xlr8
October 25th, 2004, 20:40
I could get a new tranny if I had a job other delivering pizza haha (im 17). Lucky nephew! How old is he? Im asking the guy who I bought my car from if he wants to come to the drive this weekend. In his STi, he had somthing like 400hp at the wheels last time I checked and its most likely more now. We will see how he does against the Audis :)