PDA

View Full Version : Does your steering have Servotronic? (USA)

JAXRS6
October 16th, 2004, 00:36
Dealer tech takes me aside & tells me that the factory phased out the Servotronic relay (or whatever it is) that helps ease low speed steering effort in the RS6 for US models. Thus steering, which feels heavy on my car at low speeds, supposedly cannot be adjusted. So I called AOA to complain, and the only word back so far (six weeks after I asked) is that no changes were made for US models once production started. Therefore, not only does my car not have Servotronic; all US cars supposedly don't have it.

Hmmm. Obviously someone is wrong. So, US owners, if you know whether your steering has Servotronic, please post here. If you don't know, please ask during your next service visit & then post here.

Also would be nice to know if you are satisfied with your steering, especially at low speeds. I have always thought my steering required too much effort at low speeds, and this idea was confirmed when I drove another US RS6 & its steering was lighter. At low speeds the other RS6 was more agile, and AOA's explanation so far doesn't explain that. I'd like my car to behave likewise, and so far Audi can't even get its story straight on why I'm supposedly stuck with this situation. It was Audi factory guys -- one with a Germanic accent -- who first suggested I explore the Servotronic angle when I asked them outside my dealership.

Hy Octane
October 16th, 2004, 17:38
Hi Jax..
The best I can do here is to tell you that I recently put in a call to the dedicated RS6 line at AoA and asked them to please find out exactly what changes were made to the RS6's for the USA froim the start of production to the end. Apparently Audi is not real fond of disclosing this info but I reminded him that we have paid a fortune for these cars and that some owners were starting to report small differences between these cars. He admitted that the first batxch off the line did indeed have the servotronic relay installed but it was removed after several complaints about how it subtracted from the true road feel..Also, there are some differences in the earlier enhanced exhaust systems that were changed later.. I am still waiting for him to call back with whatever info he is able to squeeze out of them..
As far as your car goes, might I suggest that you increase the tire pressures to 40psi all round.. this will have the effect of firming up the sidewalls a bit which results in an easier steering feel similar to the servotronic relay esp at lower speeds..It will also improve your handling..This might account for the easier steering feel you noticed on other beasts.
If enough of us owners call Audi and demand this info on model changes during the uSA run perhaps they will have to comply.

JAXRS6
October 16th, 2004, 18:31
I just returned from a test drive at 40 psi and I did notice some improvement.

Moving the steering wheel at a standstill didn't seem much different, but as soon as I got rolling it seems a bit easier. Still a little harder than the other RS6 I drove, I think, so I plan to keep asking questions of AOA. But for now this is encouraging. And thanks again for the tip!

One question: Does inflating at 40 psi (vs. factory recommended 36) have any negative consequences, such as possibly early wear in the middle of my Pirelli tread?

gjg
October 16th, 2004, 20:10
One question: Does inflating at 40 psi (vs. factory recommended 36) have any negative consequences, such as possibly early wear in the middle of my Pirelli tread?

yes, it will do exactly that, unless you will corner very hard ...... if you'd use nitrogen at 38~39 it may not be an issue

btw 19" is set at 44 psi low load, 48 psi full car ....

Hy Octane
October 16th, 2004, 20:52
Jax.
The 36 psi the manual mentions is the 'Minimum' recommended psi for safety. I have not noticed any wear problems at 42 front 40 rear on my pirellis.. they are designed to handle that.. the manual tells you to up the pressure to 42 all round if under load anyway.

I guess all steering racks are a bit different but mine seems to be just fine. :)

SpinEcho
October 16th, 2004, 22:20
Canadian 2004 model year, here. No idea if I have the Servotronic, but the assistance feels fairly uniform at various speeds. I don't find the steering too heavy at parking lot speeds. I have never thought steering feedback on any Audi I've driven has been very good, RS6 no exception. I have not really played around with my tire pressures, though. I'm not really impressed with steering feedback on most new cars. My E46 330i has better feedback than my Audis, but it still feels like it's being transmitted through molasses before it reaches my hands. I guess this is the price we pay for heavier and more powerful cars that require wider tires and hence more power assist. :(

Bauer
October 17th, 2004, 00:18
Mine feels heavy compared to my S8 and S4. I don't like the Servotronic at any speed...the S8 and S4 steering with Servotronic is just too light for my taste. I actually unpluged it in my previous S4 from the steering rack.

Cheers

JAXRS6
October 17th, 2004, 02:14
Originally posted by gjg
yes, it will do exactly that, unless you will corner very hard

Your cornering comment reminded me that on my first set of Pirellis for the RS6, which lasted to 24K mi, the shoulders were worn more than the middle on three of the tires. So...maybe keeping it at 40 will neutralize that, eh?

Question: Does air temp affect PSI? I ask because it's cold today (40s) and all my tires were down to 32 psi when I started. I last filled them to 36 on a warmer day (but tires were cold). All four tires losing 4 psi at the same time seemed odd, so thought I'd ask re temps.

JP4
October 17th, 2004, 03:06
Originally posted by JAXRS6
Question: Does air temp affect PSI? I ask because it's cold today (40s) and all my tires were down to 32 psi when I started. I last filled them to 36 on a warmer day (but tires were cold). All four tires losing 4 psi at the same time seemed odd, so thought I'd ask re temps.

Yup...sure does! If you figure about a 1 psi drop in pressure for each 10 degree F decrease in temperature, you'll be pretty close.

JAXRS6
October 17th, 2004, 04:23
Thanks, JP4 -- that's good to know! Makes psi a challenge right now, tho, since fall temps can range from 40s to 80s here. Well, maybe no more 80s -- which is sad for me:cry:but the twins under my hood definitely like the cooler weather!:thumb:

Anyone else want to comment on Servotronic? Have or don't? Like it or no?

And -- does anyone know if it's adjustable, to make steering effort lighter or heavier?

SteveKen
February 19th, 2013, 21:50
Bringing this back from the dead.

Can any one comment on this? I never bothered to look on my RS6 when I had it apart, but does our steering rack have the servotronic assist? If so, what is the P/N for the relay?

I am hating the feel of my S6 and want to use the relay from the RS6 (if one exists) to try and make it a little less numb.

If not, I'll just pull the relay or wire a switch up somewhere. However, I've heard that pulling the relay can cause premature failure of the steering rack. Can anyone confirm this, too?

audiprotn
February 19th, 2013, 22:27
My steering wheel feels less stiff than my friend's rs6.
I've always wondered what was causing it.

kday
February 19th, 2013, 23:28
I am not sure if the C5 servotronic is like the C4 version, but on the C4 it is common to remove the relay without any ill effects. As I recall there is a solenoid in the rack itself which regulates the amount of boost, and the "relay" (not really a relay) has to actively increase the boost -- so if you remove it you get a constant baseline boost like a non-servotronic rack. I think it is a pulse width modulated signal, not a simple on/off.

I really like the steering feel of my RS6, personally. The weighting is good and the ratio feels perfect. I am guessing it's a higher ratio than the base C5 -- it definitely feels higher than a C4 that's for sure. Maybe the S6 has a different ratio? Obviously you can't change the ratio by messing with servotronic.

This reminds me... spring is coming up, and I'll have sore arms for a few days once I go back to driving my sticky-tired Miata with a depowered steering rack... :)