PDA

View Full Version : Curb Rash

CornersWell
October 12th, 2004, 00:04
Unfortunately, yesterday, I clipped a curb with the right rear wheel. I have determined that the curb rash can be repaired, but the problem seems to be in the re-finishing. According to the Wheel Collision Center (www.wheelcollision.com), the paint on the RS6 wheels is a "lead-based, brilliant silver". Since lead-based paint cannot be obtained or used in the US, the re-finish would be "a shade darker." After some searches, I identified Alsa Corporation, makers of the Ghost Chrome product (www.alsacorp.com). According to Hartmann Wheels (www.dtmmotorwerks.com), this is an EXACT match for the existing RS6 paint on the OEM wheels (9-spoke, at least). My question is how you all have dealt with curb rash on your cars. Has anyone used the Ghost Chrome product? What experiences have you all had with re-finishing wheels? I have done a search of the archives, but I have not found much. Many thanks, CW

Benman
October 12th, 2004, 01:24
CW,

What the wheel collision company told you is mostly accurate but not entirely (think about it, if it had lead in the paint then how can Alsa Corp sell it?)Any way, Alsa Corp's ghost chrome would be your best bet but I could not verify an exact match as I have not compared it to my wheel. I have a sample at work and would be glad to take it home for comparison to the wheel.

If you do decide to paint it using the ghost chrome make sure you use a reputable repair shop. I could recommend several out in my area but know of none where you live. It is important to use a quality shop as the end result could vary drastically. Also, no matter how good the repair job it will not be as good as a new wheel. Low profile tires as the ones used on the RS 6 are very difficult to mount and will scratch the paint EXTREMELY easily when the person remounts it after the paint is done. Factory paint is thoroughly cured and does not have this problem.

Ben:addict:

JAXRS6
October 12th, 2004, 01:24
The same happened to me a few months ago -- twice! -- and I took the easy way out: I called a dealer who had a local "wheel guy" they called for wheel refinishing. He came in and did the painting at the dealership. I have no idea what he used, but only an expert could tell the difference from the other wheels. The last refinishing was about nine months and 17K miles ago and it has held up fine. Dealer is Suncoast, at their new facility in Sarasota, FL.

SpinEcho
October 12th, 2004, 12:59
Try this link. There are some DIY articles, and you can acheive pretty good results if you are so inclined.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/

CornersWell
October 12th, 2004, 20:37
I have been in touch with Karosserie in King of Prussia, PA regarding this matter. Karosserie is one of the TOP body shops in the US, in my opinion. They are, in fact, one of the few shops certified by Audi to do aluminum repairs. I have used them many times for body and paintwork over the years. According to the proprietor, who recently spoke with BMW about this very issue, the manufacturer's wheel-finishing process is more extensive and leads to better wear on the wheels over time. There is a belief that these wheel repairs and re-finishing may not hold up well. There have also been a couple of concerns raised about the structural integrity of the wheel once damaged and liability issues in the event a repaired wheel has a structural failure. Karosserie has not had experience with Alsa's Ghost Chrome directly, though. As has been told to me, the manufacturer lays an especially heavy clear coat on and cures it longer. As a result, the finish holds up better in car washes and to caustic chemicals such as road salt. So, I continue to look into this.

Benman
October 14th, 2004, 04:21
Originally posted by CornersWell
I have been in touch with Karosserie in King of Prussia, PA regarding this matter. Karosserie is one of the TOP body shops in the US, in my opinion.

There is a belief that these wheel repairs and re-finishing may not hold up well. There have also been a couple of concerns raised about the structural integrity of the wheel once damaged and liability issues in the event a repaired wheel has a structural failure. Karosserie has not had experience with Alsa's Ghost Chrome directly, though. As has been told to me, the manufacturer lays an especially heavy clear coat on and cures it longer. As a result, the finish holds up better in car washes and to caustic chemicals such as road salt. So, I continue to look into this.

Glad to hear that Karosserie was upfront with you when explaining that although the repair might be good, it is still not the equivalent to factory.

Also, had the chance to compare the ghost chrome to the factory wheel. Not a bad match but a little blue compared to the factory finish.

Keep in mind that in the end it will depend on if you want to save several hundreds of $$$ and have it repaired vs the new factory wheel.:cheers:

CornersWell
October 14th, 2004, 13:11
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I'm getting a good idea of what to do. A very competent local body shop will do the job. They have not used Ghost Chrome, but we're going to give it a try, I think. They will also finish the wheels, according to them, "better than factory" and bake them in their paint booth. They state that it's between $250 and $300 per wheel to repair and refinish. That's not too bad. I expect to do the work when the summer tires and wheels go into storage for the winter. That will give them plenty of time to do the work and cure the paint, Ghost Chrome and clear coat. Now, if we can just do something about all these CURBS!

Benman
October 14th, 2004, 18:51
Originally posted by CornersWell
They will also finish the wheels, according to them, "better than factory" and bake them in their paint booth.

I expect to do the work when the summer tires and wheels go into storage for the winter. That will give them plenty of time to do the work and cure the paint, Ghost Chrome and clear coat.
Sounds good. Realisticly though no repair shop (including ours) is "better than factory". It's simply not possibly for a single shop to replicate the amount of $$$ that a wheel manufacture puts into his paint facility (although since the RS 6 wheels are done under contract with Ronal Wheels perhaps their paint facility is not that huge.). Most large scale manufactures have more money in just their booth (let alone robots and spray equipment) than a repair shop has in the entire repair facility!

Lexus (of course built by Toyota)for example has spray booths that can bake a car so hot that if a shop did have the money to replicate it would melt everything that is plasticand rubber on the vehicle and the car would be ruined!