PDA

View Full Version : Chrome BMW M3

bludnik
October 11th, 2004, 01:55
Those canadians...

A chrome bmw m3 with wide-body kit... They must like polishing their cars over there... :harass:

http://www.bmwquebec.com/viewtopic.php?topic=137&forum=4

RS4Ever
October 11th, 2004, 02:45
let me just start and end by saying

whoa!

sturs6
October 11th, 2004, 02:54
Oh that mirror finish...
http://members.roadfly.com/m3widebody/x8.jpg

Bingocaller
October 11th, 2004, 10:25
Love this one :thumb:

Bingocaller
October 11th, 2004, 10:25
Aother one

Bingocaller
October 11th, 2004, 10:26
Last

nene
October 11th, 2004, 14:42
That thing is uglier than a Pinto!!!

skazzy
October 11th, 2004, 15:22
That must be the most amazing Audi i have ever seen? any more pix of this cromed Audi?

Even the M3 looks totally awesome (besides the obvious fact that it needs a good set of aftermarket footwear). Im sure that car isnt complete yet. Id like to see it when its completely done. never the less, a spectacular find!

How much would one be looking at to get this done to their car?

Benman
October 11th, 2004, 15:30
That paint they use is very expensive. The company that manufactures it is Alsa Corp. http://alsacorp.com/chrome.htm If you see a car painted chrome, they got the paint from them. Even the M5 concept car used a "ghost crome" that they make. I can say with personal experience that the stuff is very time consuming & difficult to shoot.

Ben:addict:

bludnik
October 11th, 2004, 18:24
Originally posted by skazzy
How much would one be looking at to get this done to their car?

The paint cost $1 200 per gallon... That's about 317 dollars per liter... :hahahehe:

Benman
October 11th, 2004, 21:16
Originally posted by bludnik
The paint cost $1 200 per gallon... That's about 317 dollars per liter... :hahahehe:
The kicker is that the paint is about the CHEAPEST part of the job:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

You have to start out with a flawless BLACK car. Don't have a black car? Then guess what? You'll be painting your car black! Then after the paint has cured (30 days is recommended) then you can start color sanding and polishing the complete car in preparation for the "chrome". The car must be sanded as flat as possible for best results.The chrome itself is very time consuming to shoot and very labor intesive (a LOT of cleaning & preparation).

An example of a race car we painted can be found on their website http://alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/mirra_show.htm. (if link doesn't work go to their website, click on paint&additives, then chrome paints, then mirrachrome, then product showcase) It's the #88 Nascar West car. The entire car was first sanded and primered complete, then sanded again flat and painted straight black. After curing for a couple of weeks (we were impatient and didn't wait the recommended 30 days:D ) the entire car was resanded flat and then buffed and polished complete (very time consuming). Then the car was cleaned (3 times and it STILL was not quite clean enough!) and then sprayed with the "chrome". Afterwards when dry (you have to wait at least 24 hours!) we applied the clear. Once the clear was dry we applied the candy coats of red for the graphics you see. The candy over the chrome has an ionized metal look (Awesome in the sun!).

And the "chrome" we shot was the easier of the 2! As for price to do this, we wouldn't. We only did it because our shop is the main sponsor for that car. I do not think any customer would be willing to pay that kind of $$$ to do it to his car unless he had gobs and gobs of $$ just laying around:D

Nordschleife
October 11th, 2004, 21:57
I believe MTM did 6 of these in one batch. The job was made harder because they had plastic as well as metal surfaces to paint, and that was difficult whilst not letting them panels look different
R+C

Benman
October 11th, 2004, 22:43
Originally posted by Nordschleife
I believe MTM did 6 of these in one batch.
Doing more than one at a time would save you a little bit of time but it's still not something they'd want to do over and over again :D
Ben:addict: