PDA

View Full Version : MTM RS 6 has poor showing in Car & Driver

Benman
October 10th, 2004, 01:38
If any has had the chance to check out the new Car & Driver Super Car shoot out they will notice that the MTM RS 6 fares very poorly versus the competition.

In the Sedan Class the MTM RS 6 finishes dead last! Looking at the price ($40K more than stock!!!) the performance is awefully close to stock! (last Car & Driver test shows almost IDENTICAL 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 etc...). Seems like this customer either got completely ripped off or the car was just running like absolute CRAP!! 575HP? 568 lb/ft ? Give me a brake! The stock Beast could post those #s on the right day!

On the other side check out the HPA R32! It posted a 1/4 mile time of 11.7 and a 0-100 of 9.9seconds!!! Even better check out the 100-150mph in just 12.7 seconds!!!:bigeyes: :bigeyes: For $40K LESS than the MTM RS 6!

And for REAL Bang For The Buck, the Vishnu Evo could not be beat! A 1/4 mile time of 11.6 seconds!!! And a course time that EXCEEDED the Gallardo's!!!:bigeyes: :bigeyes: All for Less than $60K, WAY less than anything else that showed up!

I was REALLY expecting more from the MTM RS 6. Especially since their products are bragged about. And before anyone starts with the "well it is quite heavy" crap, keep in mind there were cars JUST AS HEAVY that did MUCH better.:(

Ben:addict: (if that's what MTM's got, then I'll keep mine stock, and my $40K thank you!)

audirs6sport
October 10th, 2004, 02:31
There's a clip called "AMS extreme tuner challenge" where the MTM rs6 was caught on fire on it's way attempting to reach 300kph!!! :w: :( As well as the MTM Bimoto TT, one of the engine blew up.

nene
October 10th, 2004, 03:31
Definitely sounds like something is a amiss here!!!
I've been leaning towards Abt chip anyway, so the MTM had lost some interest in my books before your posting. Thanks for the update.

SpinEcho
October 10th, 2004, 03:42
Yes, it was a very interesting test. Not sure why the times were so lousy :confused:

Another embarrasing result belonged to the supercharged M3 - in a straight line, that is. It's lap time was actually very impressive.

No surprise at the Vishnu Mistsu. If they had included a tweaked Subaru it would have posted similar results. If all we cared about was numbers we would have bought these turbocharged Japanese tin boxes, or maybe one of those turbocharged Vettes or Vipers :MTM: :MTM:

Mr Balsen
October 10th, 2004, 21:18
I would like to post my own experience about the RS6 MTM as I drove both types. The stock car with 580hp stage and the clubsport version

The stock car with 580hp was absolutely a blast. We did compair with a stock RS6 and there is absolutely no comparison between both cars.

The Clubsport: I drove it from Wetstetten to Nardo and back a few weeks ago. An absolute monster reaching over 300 km/h so quickly, I am still breathless.

Now the car used may had issues or problems, it had happen in the past.

But I still believe MTM is one of the best tuners in the world. Results measured at Nardo to be published in futur edition of Auto, Motor und Sport magazines will prove it.

Interesting to know that neither Abt, Oettinger or Sportec came with a tuned Audi at Nardo despite being invited.

Cheers,
Frederic

Benman
October 11th, 2004, 01:30
Originally posted by Benman
Seems like this customer either got completely ripped off or the car was just running like absolute CRAP!! 575HP? 568 lb/ft ?

I would like to think that Mr Balsen is right and the car was just running as I said "like absolute crap!". If would have to be to post #s extremely close to stock yet claim 125 more HP and over 150 additional lb/ft torque!

However all tuners could claim the same problem and my point was that all of there cars seemed to actually back up what performance claims the tuners were saying. Or maybe as RS68:29 says the car was in "limp mode":D

Ben:addict:

keo
October 11th, 2004, 04:16
I do also agreed with Mr. Balsen about MTM rs6. Not because I myself have it tune with MTM package. But fairly there is really a big different between a MTM rs6 and stock rs6. Again, the torque and acceleration response is something you can felt right away. It sorry to hear that a magazine shows such poor numbers about MTM rs6:vgrumpy: But I am really enjoy having my rs6 using MTM product....:rs6kiss:

TaTaPiRaTa
October 11th, 2004, 07:57
I can confirm RS6 MTM Stage 1 is much more you expect comparing to stock one. So higher mods will probably improve performance not vice versa.

Maybe while testing the car was not cooled down properly and the heat killed the performance?

Anyway I would love to see Mr Balsen opinion on driving the new M5 with comparison to his experiences with hi tuned RS6....

A418TQTip
October 17th, 2004, 08:19
Originally posted by SpinEcho
Yes, it was a very interesting test. Not sure why the times were so lousy :confused:

Another embarrasing result belonged to the supercharged M3 - in a straight line, that is. It's lap time was actually very impressive.

No surprise at the Vishnu Mistsu. If they had included a tweaked Subaru it would have posted similar results. If all we cared about was numbers we would have bought these turbocharged Japanese tin boxes, or maybe one of those turbocharged Vettes or Vipers :MTM: :MTM:

C&D sucks... Plain and simple...

I don't think the SC'ed M3 was a let down though... It was the least powerful of the bunch...

JAXRS6
October 18th, 2004, 04:44
http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/9211.phtml