PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox problem

RS6Fan
October 6th, 2004, 13:18
My RS6 Avant has covered 31k miles, 20k of that with the MTM chip. I am having two problems with the gearbox, first is after the gearbox has dropped into 2nd on slow acceleration, and then you floor it there is a sensation exactly like a slipping clutch. Is happening more and more, torque convertor perhaps? Also on the highway when using kickdown to drop one gear, there is an occasional clonk from the rear diff area? Wonder if my gearbox is shot?

quattro
October 6th, 2004, 13:22
Did you change/check the oil in the gear box?

RS6Fan
October 6th, 2004, 13:23
The car was in for a service 1000 miles ago, I presumed they would have checked it. I'm taking it to the dealer this afternoon for them to drive it and see what the fault is.

quattro
October 6th, 2004, 13:27
Originally posted by RS6Fan
I presumed they would have checked it.

Don't!

A friend has his Hohenester Stage II in and asked specifically for the oil change/check, and he's now doing that on a "regular" basis i.e. when servicing.

RS6Fan
October 6th, 2004, 15:45
Just been to my dealer who has booked the car in to have the gearbox oil replaced (Audi used to specify this was changed every 40000 miles on their cars, now it's never changed!)

Hopefully this will cure the problem, if not they will fit a new gearbox.

quattro
October 6th, 2004, 15:50
Exactly, it's not on their list of things to do so you can't blame them.

Let us know if the problems disappear, they did on my friends.

RS6Fan
October 6th, 2004, 15:57
Thanks quattro, did your friends car have the same problem as mine? I'll let you know once the car has had the oil changed on 18 October.

trex
October 6th, 2004, 17:40
i think i am experiencing the same problem only my rs6 is not chipped

my post:
http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5044

audirs6sport
October 7th, 2004, 01:02
I am experiencing the same problem. (stock & mod) It's been like this since day 1 when I bought my car. Have you tried bringing the car in for service?

gjg
October 7th, 2004, 07:00
first is after the gearbox has dropped into 2nd on slow acceleration, and then you floor it there is a sensation exactly like a slipping clutch.

same problem here from day one - actually when downshifting from 3 to 2, no throtle, the time between gear change on downshit is so long engine rpms drop to idle ......

audirs6sport
October 8th, 2004, 22:51
Any solutions yet???

trex
October 25th, 2004, 15:02
*bump

RS6Fan
October 25th, 2004, 15:11
Dealer did a gearbox oil change last Monday. Done 1000 miles and the slipping appears to have gone, but the occasional clonking is still there. Could need a new box I think

Bauer
October 25th, 2004, 17:09
Gearbox and rear diff are the weakest items on these cars. The gearbox should really have a larger dedicated radiator and the rear diff should just have one. The bolted on heat sinks don't really do the job.

I have a rear diff hum when I am on the power. Lazy a$$ dealer says they can't duplicate the problem. Funny, my wife even complains about the noise and they cant find it???? I have had no gearbox problems to date though.

Cheers,

audirs6sport
October 26th, 2004, 02:39
Yup :D They state that "vehicle operating to factory specification at this time." However, the problem just pops right back up the moment you drive away from the dealer :w: