PDA

View Full Version : Update on RS4 development

tailpipe
October 5th, 2004, 14:10
Here is a synthesis of all the current rumours circulating about the car. None can be confirmed as fact, but a picture is starting to emerge. I also need to correct previous information that is now known not to be true:

1. New RS4 may be further away than previously thought. We had been told that it would debut at the Geneva Show in March 2005. This may not be correct and if Audi follows its previous policy of introducing RS models 2 years before the primary model on which it is based is replaced, then the RS4 is 2 years away. I hope this is wrong.

2. We also thought that engine would be a naturally aspirated and upgraded version of existing V8 in S4. It now seems almost certain that the engine will be the new 4.2 FSI V-8. However, this engine may yet be put into an upgraded S4, generating about 400 bhp - well up on today's figure. If this is the case, then the RS4 would need more power and consequently a bi-turbo version of 4.2 FSI would be required. (This option is consistent with rumours about the bi-turbo V-10 being developed for the next RS6.) So, we'll either get a 4.2 FSI naturally aspirated with 420 bhp or a bi-turbo developing 480 bhp, depending on what happens to the S4.

3. Audi is developing an in-line DSG gearbox for V-8/V-10 models, based on the DSG box designed for the Bugatti Veyron. The experience is light years ahead of BMW's SMG system.

4. There is no image that correctly previews the look of the car in existence yet. I will find it and post it just as soon as it does get released.

I think it is a bit disappointing that we've got to wait so long for this model - you can't get a brand new RS4 or RS6 now. But if a revised S4 can improve on the current one, this may be some compensation.

In the meantime, both the A4/A5 coupe based on the Nuvolari and the Le Mans sports car have been confirmed for production. They may arrive sooner.

mr
October 5th, 2004, 16:33
yippieeeeeeee ....... another story about rs - future :vgrumpy:

-> well .......... i'm fed up with these theories!!!

please don't make all people here completely mad with such stories.

grizzly
October 5th, 2004, 23:09
@tailpipe:
You know that RS4 has been showed to choosen Dealers here in Munich about 3 weeks ago?

A418TQTip
October 6th, 2004, 02:46
Wow, a 480HP RS4 would be sweeeeet... :rs4addict

Let's all hope they introduce the new model sooner rather than later... Otherwise, we're talking late 2006 (MY 2007), right?

tailpipe
October 6th, 2004, 12:48
Originally posted by grizzly
@tailpipe:
You know that RS4 has been showed to choosen Dealers here in Munich about 3 weeks ago?

Yes, I do. So I'm hoping that the person at Audi UK who told me this stuff is wrong. Even though it's already been showed, they still reckon launch is well into the future. Any idea what the typical timeframe between showing to German dealers and actual launch is? Are yuo sure German dealers weren't shown a revised S4? As you may know, the nomenclature of Audi's performance range is changing.

grizzly
October 6th, 2004, 13:03
@tailpipe:
it was definitely not a revised S4. It was a "Beta" car with tinted windows etc. No Photos no Handys etc....

Im hoping on a 4.2 TT. cause a 4.2 NA wont be faster than my old RS4 with 420hp 570Nm.

Another Info from Quattro what ive heared. They developed a manual Gearbox good for over 600Nm. and thats definately not possible without Turbos.

If they bring a NA i stay with my "old" RS4. thats for shure. :rs4kiss: