PDA

View Full Version : Audi S5

RS4Ever
October 3rd, 2004, 07:53
check out this article about the possible S5...

(http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=50192)

"Another weapon in Audi's armoury in the battle against BMW and Mercedes will be the A5 coupé and cabriolet, scheduled for launch in 2007.

This week's magazine has the first pictures of the cars, developed with the help of information smuggled out of the German company's HQ. Both are based on a revised A4 platform, and the styling has been inspired by the Nuvolari concept, which wowed the crowds at the 2003 Geneva Motor Show.

Audi's top brass hope the combination of gorgeous looks, four-wheel drive and a strong engine range will build on the success of the newcomer's smaller TT stablemate. Expected to take on sports coupés such as the 3-Series and CLK, the A5 pair will be offered with the 2.0-litre turbo FSI engine, as seen in the new Golf GTI, a 2.0 TDI oil-burner, petrol and diesel V6s and a range-topping 4.2 V8 FSI, which will be given the S5 badge. Both DSG and conventional manual gearboxes will be available, tuned to offer a sportier drive.

Set to cost from £35,000, the more upmarket cars will take the place of a planned A4 coupé, which has been axed. It's understood this model got to prototype stage, before bosses shelved it."

:s4addict: :s3addict: <<<--- however made these S3 and S4 flag animations will probably have to make an S5 on as well.. but you still have time..:360:

RS4Ever
October 3rd, 2004, 07:54
by the way, can anyone that is suscribed to the magazine possibly scan the photos that they are talking about and post them please.

would really like to see that:hahahehe:

tailpipe
October 3rd, 2004, 16:32
Saw the pictures in Auto Express of both coupe and convertible A5/ S5s. They look superb, but are little more than renderings at this stage. The coupe is very similar to the Nuvolari and the convertible very similar to the revised A4 convertible I posted on Friday. The front has been slightly reworked and once more the new grille looks very good. There is a new front light treatment that uses conventional lamps instead of LED ones. Clearly, the coupe and convertible are designed to sit above the saloon and avant versions, but will still be based on the B7 platform. I think the A5 convertible must be the same as the reworked A4 convertible, but moved upmarket both in equipment and price.

The best news is the 4.2 litre V-8 FSI engine, which we know is good for about 400 bhp and a DSG gearbox. Add 4WD and Audi's gorgeous new styling and you have a car that is as desirable as an M3, if not more so.

Erik
October 3rd, 2004, 16:59
Here's the link:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=50192

Is this IT?

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/50707.jpg

tailpipe
October 3rd, 2004, 17:58
Erik,

This is the new TT not the A5. I'll post pictures of the A5 tomorrow.

RS4Ever
October 4th, 2004, 06:44
Originally posted by tailpipe
Erik,

This is the new TT not the A5. I'll post pictures of the A5 tomorrow.

yes.. plllleeeeaaaassee.

tailpipe
October 5th, 2004, 12:15
Here are the pictures that appeared in Auto Express and Auto Bild this week. The A5 clearly sits somewhere between the A4 and Nuvolari concept. I think it's due to arrive in 2007 but it can't come soon enough in my book.

tailpipe
October 5th, 2004, 12:15
another view...

tailpipe
October 5th, 2004, 12:16
And the convertible...

itisme
October 5th, 2004, 13:02
sexy :heart:

tailpipe
October 5th, 2004, 13:51
Here is the new Q4 Softroader that Audi is also developing. A V-8 in one of these might also give the Porsche Cayenne a run for its money....

What all of these designs show is a language that is coherent, and consistent. You may not like the end result, but there is a clear logic behind the approach that's been taken.

RS4Ever
October 5th, 2004, 23:41
wow thanks for posting those pics.
they look really good.

that A5 is something!:0:

tailpipe
October 7th, 2004, 18:05
The similarity between the new TT and A5 is extremely close. The A5 will have more room. The TT will be made out of aluminium.

Which to go for? The interior design should clinch it.

RS4Ever
October 10th, 2004, 10:18
i guess the new A4 S4's rear lights will slowely morph into rear lights like or close to the A5, since the pics are photoshopt.

i like those lights a lot. look very good on the car. everything is so well balanced.

:0:

damn it! its too bad we can see into the near future but not access it now. :cry:

Audihead
December 29th, 2004, 18:57
Bump.

5000S old skool
December 29th, 2004, 21:23
nery nice! :0: but wouldnt a cabrio of this model make the A4/S4 cabrio redundant? or will they discontinue A4 cab and just make it A5 cab? perhaps they'll just make it A4 coupe?

tailpipe
January 7th, 2005, 12:35
Yes. It would make the existing A4 Cabrio redundant and my understanding is that A5 convertible would actually replace A4 convertible.

In the short-term, I expect current A4 Cabrilet to be facelifted along B7 A4 lines. The A5 is expected to be the first model to feature the B8 platform (engines behind front axle), and would slot in above the next iteration of the A4, due 2008.

There is a possibility that Audi may not face current A4 convertible and accelrate development of A5 coupe and convertible.

We'll know in March.

Yak
January 7th, 2005, 14:55
mm, all the rumours I've heard are that current A4 Cabriolet won't be facelifted anytime soon, maybe not at all.

Hopefully they don't, I think it's just lovely ;)

- Yak

A418TQTip
January 12th, 2005, 22:00
Folks,

Honestly, I couldn't care less about looks...

Audi delivering a new platform underneath the A5 is far more relevant to me... :D

Finnus
January 13th, 2005, 14:08
Tailpipe,

How about an RS5?

Finnus
:addict:

tailpipe
January 13th, 2005, 14:39
A418TQTip,

I couldn't agree more with your comments. Everything that I've heard about the new B8 platform convinces me that this will be the quantum leap forward that transforms Audi's reputation as a serious performance car player.

The B8 platform is expected to mount the engines behind the front axle to dramatically improve weight balance. The chassis will still primarily be a front wheel drive one, with the benefit of understeer on the limit, while Quattro versions will have an almost neutral balance, a la BMW, with a torque plit of 60:40 going in favour of the rear wheels. This will endow Quattros with the same handling characteristics as BMW's most focused offerings, but with much greater traction and thus increased limits of adhesion. The front wheel drive versions of the B8 platform will still behave as they do today: greater efficiency because of no loss of power through transmission of drive to rear wheels and predictable all-weather handling, but will not give the driver the sames degree of feeling connected to the car. Ultimately, Audi's will offer more secure handling.

What to me is clever about the technical solution Audi has chosen is that while it will not deliver the same degree of feedback as the most focused traditional rear-wheel drive models, e.g. Aston-Martin DB-9 or M3, the performance it does have will be more usable for more of the time. It will be a more capabable car. I think this reflects the view that we all want to drive like hooligans occasionally, but for the most part we need cars that deliver practical levels of performance. (Last year I was simply terrified by the way my M3 handled in unexpected winter conditions.)

While Audi is making its front wheel drive platforms provide improved handling, the likes of BMW and Mercedes-Benz are adding electronic driver aids to induce understeer instead of oversteer. Interferring devices that neutralising the benefits of RWD defeat the object of choosing this technical solution. Audi's approach seems to have more integrity, IMHO.

Of course, if you want a totally focused driver's Audi, then you'll have to wait for the RS9, the production version of the Le Mans. They are DEFINITELY going to make it. What's more it will probably arrive before B8.

However, the B8 will definitely be worth waiting for and the next generation A4 should be simply stunning across every critical dimension. For the first time, I think we will see an Audi that is quantifiably better than its BMW or MB equivalent. (It will also look gorgeous as the new grille shape is likely to be shrunk down in size.) Of course, I'm bound to say this as I'm a huge Audi fan, but the evidence that supports this conclusion is growing: just look at the Allroad concept unveiled at the Detroit Show.

Will there be an RS5? I don't know, but don't bet against it. If I were Audi, i would certainly produce one, because then you have a direct competitor to the M3. in the meantime, it is a question of days until we see next RS4.

Finnus
January 13th, 2005, 16:19
Of course, if you want a totally focused driver's Audi, then you'll have to wait for the RS9, the production version of the Le Mans. They are DEFINITELY going to make it.

Any new details on the production LeMans? I've heard two engine choices. Will it be rear wheel drive? Any announcements expected in Geneva?

Finnus

tailpipe
January 13th, 2005, 20:44
I can confirm that RS9/ Le Mans gets new 4.2 litre V8 with FSI - same engine as for new RS4 and S6 - but is likely to be turbocharged in RS9. Expect 480-500 bhp. Second engine option is new 5.2 litre V-10 with biturbo, same as next RS6, good for 600 bhp. Will be rear mid-engine configuration driving all four wheels.

Rumoured but not confirmed that they may introduce a low-end lower-powered rear wheel drive entry-level version too. I don't think they've decided yet.

What is certain is that RS9 will be Audi's performance flagship, so expect it to have every piece of hi-tech equipment from the parts bin. The technical highlight will be the 7-speed DSG box from the Bugatti Veyron.

No official word on introduction date, but we should here or see something by Franfurt in September. Launch 2006 for 2007 model year.

A418TQTip
January 13th, 2005, 21:56
Wow, these next few years will be exciting for us! Thanks for the info Tailpipe!

5000S old skool
January 14th, 2005, 01:42
Originally posted by tailpipe
I can confirm that RS9/ Le Mans gets new 4.2 litre V8 with FSI - same engine as for new RS4 and S6 - but is likely to be turbocharged in RS9. Expect 480-500 bhp. Second engine option is new 5.2 litre V-10 with biturbo, same as next RS6, good for 600 bhp. Will be rear mid-engine configuration driving all four wheels.

Rumoured but not confirmed that they may introduce a low-end lower-powered rear wheel drive entry-level version too. I don't think they've decided yet.

What is certain is that RS9 will be Audi's performance flagship, so expect it to have every piece of hi-tech equipment from the parts bin. The technical highlight will be the 7-speed DSG box from the Bugatti Veyron.

No official word on introduction date, but we should here or see something by Franfurt in September. Launch 2006 for 2007 model year.

RS model available with two engine choices? Interesting..

This RS9? Are you sure that it wont be a different name? RS, if i remember correctly is usually a performance version of another model (ex. A4-S4-RS4). So if there was an RS9 there would have to be an A9 or S9.. maybe this RS9 will be the performance version the anticipated A5/S5 Coupes. So maybe it will be RS 5?? or the other way around, the coupes would be named A9/S9 and then there would be the RS9

I think that if Audi were to make a high performance sports coupe they would have to make it compete with likes of that beastly V12 Biturbo by MB AMG

Maybe the V8 choice will be A9 and V10 Biturbo choice RS9?

...... I guess we all just have to sit on our hands and wait, like little children for the ice cream man to come by...

P.S. - Everything I say in this post is the product of my hypothesizing, I do not have any credible sources, for what I say.

tailpipe
January 14th, 2005, 11:15
Yes, you may be right. RS9 is the name I'm hearing at the moment, but it is by no means decided. The two engine options are interesting. I think Audi is hedging its bets: a V-8 priced at around $100,000 may sell better than a V-10 priced at $125,000. Remember how the BMW Z8 bombed. It was a great car, but too just darned expensive.

RS4Ever
January 15th, 2005, 21:03
im suscribed to this magazine and have wanted to post what they have to say about future audi models for a while.. the issue is from feb2005 but we got it early in jan.

some of the info revolves around the stuff you guys have posted on this thread.

check following posts.. i will put the article on without the pics.. you'll see the text better. we are all familiar with the pics.

RS4Ever
January 15th, 2005, 21:04
the Q7

RS4Ever
January 15th, 2005, 21:06
the TT

and TTRS

RS4Ever
January 15th, 2005, 21:09
A5 & Le Mans

RS4Ever
January 15th, 2005, 21:11
and finally
A6 avant...

5000S old skool
January 16th, 2005, 16:57
:vhmmm: I think the having the A5 range AND the A9 range would be a bit redundant. N/A V10 for the RS6? RS Model for an SUV? I'm skeptical... I've also heard that these car magazines get their information from people on message boards like us. Personally I prefer high-performance luxury 4 door saloons.

RS4Ever
January 17th, 2005, 05:03
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
:vhmmm: I'm skeptical... I've also heard that these car magazines get their information from people on message boards like us. saloons.

yeah, i when i read this stuff i was like "wwwwhhhaaaaat???, where do they get this stuff from??"

i had to post it to see what you guys think.

tailpipe
January 17th, 2005, 12:17
Motor Trend and the other rags get a lot of their info from us, some they get directly from Audi and the rest they make up! Often when they know the real scoop, they will report something different so that they can write a further story with the real facts.

The biggest unknown at the moment, for example, is the engine in the RS4. Know one knows whether it is the new FSI 4.2 litre or a development of the existing V-8 block. Audi has been really tight-lipped about this, because the engine is going to be the big story when the car is launched. The other unknown is when we can expect a DSG gearbox for longitudinally-mounted engines. If the RS4 has both DSG and FSI, it will make big news that will propel it to the top of the high performance saloon/ sedan tree.

Audi is right to keep its powder dry, especially if it wants to pee on BMW's firework: the launch of the new 3-Series, which is starting to look like the biggest anti-climax since we failed to find WMD in Iraq!

A lot of the stuff in this article has not yet been decided. Audi will definitely test just about every engine/ body combination listed plus quite a few more besides. But what makes it into production is entirely a different matter.

Not only will we have the A5 and A9 eating each other's lunch, but also the new TT. That's right 3 performance versions. Does that makes sense? Well, when you can achieve economies of scale through platform sharing that uses the same chassis underpinnings to make a range of variants, why not? We, the buyers, get greater choice and have a much better chance of finding the Audi that meets our criteria and price threshold. Audi on the other hand gets to sell more cars. If one car succeeds and the others fail, Audi still wins. By developing more options it is increasing the chances of building a winner.

Finnus
January 17th, 2005, 14:51
What is certain is that RS9 will be Audi's performance flagship, so expect it to have every piece of hi-tech equipment from the parts bin. ... Second engine option is new 5.2 litre V-10 with biturbo, same as next RS6, good for 600 bhp. ... I think Audi is hedging its bets: a V-8 priced at around $100,000 may sell better than a V-10 priced at $125,000.

Tailpipe,

Putting all your comments together, the $125,000 price on the 600 hp version sounds low & what about canabalizing Lambo sales?

Finnus

tailpipe
January 19th, 2005, 11:03
Cannibalising Lamborghini sales definitely an issue, as production version of Le Mans will undercut Gallardo, but final price point of A9/ S9/ RS9 Series unknown at this time.

clam
January 21st, 2005, 03:09
I think the A9 is a good thing for Lamborghini. It's important for Lamborghini to remain an exclusive brand. More exclusive than Ferrari, even. That's one of Lambos' major attractions. At the same time, that mid-engine chassis
has a lot of selling potential. As a bussiness, Audi/Lambo have to get as much profit out of it as possible. Having Audi take care of the less exclusive end of the sportscar market is an excellent way of doing that.

Ferrari is actually trying to do the same thing with Maserati. Making that brand their entry-level money maker.

I can see the A9 as a 911 competetitor. No-one has come really close to competing with Porsche, the ultimate every-day sports car. An Audi A9 can defenitly appeal to people who think the Porsche is too mundain, or doesn't fit their personality. So I expect the engine choices on the A9 to follow those of the 911.

I think 600hp will be reserved for Lamborghini.