PDA

View Full Version : Bad News ... Good News ... Best Comp Tire ?

k2
September 30th, 2004, 14:29
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on my new car deal.

The bad news ....
I sold the beast ... finally. The best I could do was $72K (Ebony on Black with all options - 3K miles). This is probably the worst beating I have taken on any Audi, but frankly not unexpected given my other Audis were more suited to a larger resale community.

The good news ....
I replaced her with two incredible automobiles

2004 TT Cayenne (Titanium over Black)
2004 GT3 (Yellow over Black)

The Cayenne is my replacement for the RS6 and the GT3 is a gift for killing myself at work this year.

The Cayenne is an amazing machine. It is comfortable, extremely quiet, relatively big and is more of an SUV than most people think. The tow capacity is 7,400#s. I frankly rate this as a more comfortable daily driver than the RS6 (although it really wasn't my DD). When you set the suspension to 'comfort' you feel like your in a Phantom limo (yes i was lucky enough to hitch a ride). There is the obligatory turbo lag (more pronounced in this 4,000# auto vs. RS6), but it does have considerable strength from 1,000 rpm to 5,000. Nav is great ... alcantara throughout ... leather is incredible. I really can't say enough nice things about this vehicle. This was a nice swap for the beast.

The GT3 is by far the most engaging auto I have driven (vs. 360, Gallardo, GT2 and 996X50). 380 N.A. hp with 285 lbft of torque that are so well engineered that you feel absolutely no difference in power between 1,000 rpm and 1,500 rpm vs. 7,500 to 8,000 rpm. The steering is direct ... turn in is instantaneous and incredibly balanced. I have not taken the car to Homestead yet, but I can not detect much under or oversteer (I know it will oversteer especially if i start messing with my camber settings). The car is stiff and will not see much road time. I am dying to get this thing to the track.

I know ... pictures to come ...

Knowing how much experience is on this board ... I need help on deciding on track tires (Pilot Cups, Corsas or Hooisers). What are peoples experience with race tires ? What would you recommend ? I like the Pilot Cup, but having trouble finding them.

Nordschleife
September 30th, 2004, 17:17
The best tyres for a track car are the cheapest available, you are going to get through a lot of them. Unless you are racing, it doesn't matter that the cheap ones are 0.5 sec a lap slower than the expensive ones.
In recent tests, the Pilot Cup tyres have tested fastest, then the Pirelli Corsas, which are fitted to the GT3 RS, not sold in the US, but you should be able to order the tyres.
If doing a lot of track work, it would be preferable to run slicks.

R+C

k2
October 1st, 2004, 13:23
Erik,

Everything is on backorder right now at the Tirerack.com. Hooisers will not fit the GT3... the Corsas and the Cups are on back order. I'm thinking about Avons, but I've heard of these tyres basically shredding when overheated.

Where would you suggest I go?

Kirk

Erik
October 1st, 2004, 14:02
Just a list I found, hopefully to some help.

Pirelli
PZero-C
PZero Corsa

Bridgestone
RE540S
RE55S

Yokohama
A048
A032R

Michelin
Pilot Sport Cup

Dunlop
Super Sport Race
Direzza 02G
Formula-R D01J

Toyo
Trampio R888
Trampio R881
Trampio R1R
Trampio RA-1

Kumho
Ecsta V700 Victoracer
Ecsta V70A
Ecsta MX

Falken
Azenis Sport RT 215

Hankook
Ventus Z211

Avon
ZZ-R
ACB10
CR500

Benman
October 1st, 2004, 15:43
thanks for that list Erik. Will come in handy.

minimad
October 2nd, 2004, 17:48
Yokohama AD07 is one remarkable tyre t consider. They have 18" /255/35 available according to their website : http://www.yokohamatire.jp/yrc/japan/top.jsp

I dunno the availbility in US?

k2
October 4th, 2004, 13:24
Great list Erik,

Will let you know where I end up.

K2

k2
October 4th, 2004, 15:13
Great list Erik,

Will let you know where I end up.

K2

Klint
October 4th, 2004, 15:20
Kirk,

Congratulations on the aquisition of the GT3, it's one incredible machine...Definitely at home on the track. :D

Bauer
October 5th, 2004, 00:33
Just ordered some OZ's with the Dunlop Super Sports, shaved for track tires. The Tire Rack is selling the Dunlops for around $130 for 245/35/18's....pretty cheap. I have been told by a few people that they are good tires and very hard to beat at that price.

Cheers,

Benman
October 5th, 2004, 00:41
Originally posted by Bauer
Just ordered some OZ's with the Dunlop Super Sports, shaved for track tires. The Tire Rack is selling the Dunlops for around $130 for 245/35/18's....pretty cheap. I have been told by a few people that they are good tires and very hard to beat at that price.

Cheers,
$130 for that tire size is a good price. I assume you'll be using them on your modded S4? Let me know.:cheers:
Ben:addict:

Bauer
October 5th, 2004, 01:13
yes....you assume correctly

Benman
October 5th, 2004, 18:41
Originally posted by Bauer
yes....you assume correctly
One thing I did notice about those Dunlops is they have a low threshold for max weight load. It posts on tirerack 1235 (the Toyos are 1433, still too low for Audi but no problems so far). Since your S4 will weight several hundred pounds lighter than the RS 6 you shouldn't have any concerns but just keep an eye on it as I wouldn't want you to have a RS68:29 at Nordschleife inccident:bigeyes:

Ben:addict:

k2
October 11th, 2004, 13:28
Bauer,

That is a good price ... I will check out that option. The trouble I'm having is finding the rears for the GT3. 295s seem very hard to find (either very popular or very low production). Worse case scenario, I will take her to Motorsports and have them fit her out ($$$).

Do you know how many heat cycles folks are getting out of the Dunlops?

BTW ... ebaymotors had a GT3 RS listed out of Missouri (white/blue) two weeks past. The final bid was around $135K - did anyone call this guy to find out what he really wanted. The last one I checked on (in the states with all DOT certs - not simply a racing passport) went for $210K.

Bauer
October 11th, 2004, 17:56
Do you know how many heat cycles folks are getting out of the Dunlops?

STaSIS has been testing a set and from what they are telling me, if they are shaved you should be able to get 3 to 4 good track days out of them. Again, it all depends on how hard you are pusing them and how long your day is.

Basicly Dunlops anwser to the RA-1's

Cheers,