PDA

View Full Version : RS4 - Turbo or No Turbo

Graeme
September 29th, 2004, 18:31
I know that it's way too late to change what Audi are planning, but it'd be interesting to run a poll on this site to see whether Audi fans here want Turbos or High reving natural induction on the new RS4 ?
Leave your opinion here, and I guess we can tot it up sometime soon.
I'd like to start with my opinion;
I'd much prefer the turbo version as - A) Although a high powered naturally aspirated engine would be great, there's nothing like the power rush of a turbo kicking in, and B) I like the fact that you never know whether the car you're up against is modified or not, and as we all know, modifying a Turbo charged car is far easier and more cost effective.

Up to someone else next ;

steve
September 29th, 2004, 18:58
keep the RS tradition intact... give us TURBO'S!!!!!!!!!!

tailpipe
September 29th, 2004, 18:58
Graeme,

Having owned and driven an orginial Lancia Delta Integrale and Audi Quattro, both of which had turbos, and having owned and driven a naturally aspirated BMW M3 coupe, and Aston Martin V8, there is no doubt in my mind that big capacity naturally aspirated engines are to be preferred!!!

I hate turbo lag, but more than that I hate the unreliability of many such systems I have encountered. Somehow, straight CCs make me feel more connected with the road and everything else the car is doing. That said, I know exactly what you mean when you say you like the rush a turbo gives you as it hits maximum boost.

That was then. This is now. Turbos have become so sophisticated these days that lag has all but been eliminated. Reliability gremlins are no longer an issue. Meanwhile, valve-technology of NA engines has improved so much that they can ratchet-up performance almost like a turbo. So what we're now seeing is mildly turbocharged engines with variable-valve timing that give us the best of both worlds. What you get is mind-blowing performance without unacceptable levels of fuel economy. No one does this better than Audi or Mercedes-Benz.

So, perhaps the debate has become somewhat academic now. All that matters is the desired level of performance required. When the new RS4 comes out I think it will deliver an expereince that is more than comparable to the current RS6, except that it'll have FSI and no turbos.

As long as the darn thing goes like a train, doesn't break down and is built to last, I don't car whether it is non-turbo or turbo.

:rs4kiss:

QuattroFun
September 29th, 2004, 19:04
Having owned a MTM modified S Audi in the past and also driven a stock RS6, I appreciate the turbo fans' affection for the violent power rush that only a a turbo seems to be able to offer...but I would very much like to see a naturally aspirated V8 in the RS4.

Why? Well, instant throttle response, less weight on the nose and typically what goes with it in general - i.e. a lighterweight and more sporty overall construction.

A RS4 as an "everyday accommodated" quattro version of the successful A4 DTM 2004 (NA 460PS/500Nm 4.0L V8...) with a manual gearbox is ideally what I would like to see.

I have certain transport needs so a real sports car is out of the question (and I cannot afford two cars, sadly). I enjoy cruising, straightline acceleration as well as driving fast on very twisty small roads in particular. My experience of driving the RS6 with the lowered sports suspension on these wonderful roads is not that thrilling - but this not down to the lag in the turbo engine or even the auto box as such but rather the very lardy kerb weight and somewhat inert chassis.

Sims
September 29th, 2004, 19:50
Originally posted by QuattroFun

Why? Well, instant throttle response, less weight on the nose and typically what goes with it in general - i.e. a lighterweight and more sporty overall construction.

.My experience of driving the RS6 with the lowered sports suspension on these wonderful roads is not that thrilling - but this not down to the lag in the turbo engine or even the auto box as such but rather the very lardy kerb weight and somewhat inert chassis.

Well said - with modern tt applications, you have instant throttle response and a 1400kg RS4 with a 3 litre engine with 420-440ps would be just the ticket

Audihead
September 30th, 2004, 18:10
I'm not a big fan of something else to break on a car, but give the RS4 Turbos. It has to be a very special car to be an RS, just like the RS6.:rs4addict :addict:

:s4addict: -Audihead

Benman
October 1st, 2004, 15:37
Originally posted by QuattroFun

I have certain transport needs so a real sports car is out of the question (and I cannot afford two cars, sadly).
That's the whole reason I got the RS 6. A great all a round car.

As long as the RS 4 is great I don't care how it comes!:D

Ben:addict:

DejaVu
October 8th, 2004, 18:02
Of course Turbo & 4wheel drive = AUDI