PDA

View Full Version : M5 vs. RS6 - Track Challange

quattro
January 11th, 2003, 17:35
The Audi RS6 vs. the BMW M5 from Track Challange.

Hockenheim
Round time 1.17,6 min 1.18,5 min

Nuerburgring
Round time 8.20 min 8.28 min

RS6 vs. M5 - Track Challange (http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=comparison1d_e.asp?Car1=53%26C ar2=3)

johann
January 11th, 2003, 19:42
Originally posted by quattro
The Audi RS6 vs. the BMW M5 from Track Challange.

Hockenheim
Round time 1.17,6 min 1.18,5 min

Nuerburgring
Round time 8.20 min 8.28 min

RS6 vs. M5 - Track Challange (http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=comparison1d_e.asp?Car1=53%26C ar2=3)

FWIW, that Hockenheim time was improved to 1min 17.6 s since that M5 was tested in late in 98.

Note that all test results at Track Challenge are from Sport Auto.

Anyway, one can conclude that the RS6 handles pretty well.
I am suprised that it handles so much better than the much lighter RS4.

Cheers,
/Johan

scoop
January 11th, 2003, 19:45
Pretty bad temperature difference between the tests though. This is pretty bad for comparison. The RS6 was tested at 32 degrees (?), the BMW at 10 degrees air temperature. I guess the RS6 would've performed even better with those cold air going into the turbo-charged engine :)

johann
January 12th, 2003, 00:52
Originally posted by scoop
Pretty bad temperature difference between the tests though. This is pretty bad for comparison. The RS6 was tested at 32 degrees (?), the BMW at 10 degrees air temperature. I guess the RS6 would've performed even better with those cold air going into the turbo-charged engine :)

Colder temperature would make it accelerate faster but make it slower on the track due to worse grip.

Cheers,
/Johan

theob
January 13th, 2003, 10:18
Originally posted by johann

Colder temperature would make it accelerate faster but make it slower on the track due to worse grip.

I don't know Johan, if your statement is totally true, unless you combine the colder temperature with a bad weather. Then I could do nothing but agree with you! :)

HOWEVER... :D

We all know that what really makes the difference, among other things:-) , between the RS6 and the M5, is that RS6 is a pure 4WD that sticks on the road, ignoring most of the times what type of road is under its tyres! :bow: :addict:

johann
January 13th, 2003, 11:04
Originally posted by theob
I don't know Johan, if your statement is totally true, unless you combine the colder temperature with a bad weather. Then I could do nothing but agree with you! :)

Even in good weather 10 degrees is too cold for the tires to give their best, no matter wheter a car has AWD, FWD, RWD or a Jet engine. :D

Quattror for sure beats RWD whenever the road surface is anything but dry.

Cheers,
/Johan

avdh
January 23rd, 2003, 16:31
I disagree with you.

Yesterday I was at a nearby race track with the S6, the outside temperature was some 32-35 degree C. The track was very slippery and I only managed to do times 4 seconds slower than I did in July 02, when the temperature was 12-15 degree C.
The only difference, between yesterday and July, other than the temperature, was the tyres. In July I had the original Conti, whereas yesterday I had Bridgestones S-03 which are know to be much better than the ContiSportSport.

Everyone at the track agreed that that's day's temperature made the track much slower, and everyone was recording slower times than when the track was cooler, hence with regards to the RS6, I would say that 32 degrees actually worked against it for the Auto Sport report.

BTW, I am in South Africa and being in the Southern hemisphere, right now it is the middle of summer.

Dave
January 23rd, 2003, 23:33
Andre,

Nice to see you mate...
How's that georgeous S6 of yours!!.. still impressing?
Did you ever get anywhere with Audi SA regarding RS6?

Cheers
Dave
PS.. I saw my S6 on the road yesterday.. was going in the oppersite direction and it still looks great :D

Kram
January 24th, 2003, 02:57
I hate IFs. IF the RS6 were tested in a 10ºC it could be faster than . . .
IFs are IFs

BUT, no doubt about the fact that 10ºC improves a lot the performance of Audis Turbo. In a RS2 i'm almost 10sec faster at Interlagos at 10ºC than at 30ºC like today. 10sec in a 2:05sec lap is a huge difference.

Regards

avdh
January 24th, 2003, 08:13
Hi Dave,

I am sure you are thoughrouly enjoying your RS6! Is it really twice as better as the S6?

As for the RS6 in South Africa, Audi SA is only waiting for technical approval from Audi AG, which they seem pretty confident they will get that and thus we may get the RS6 in September...

My only problem at the moment is that with our rate of exhange, the RS6 will cost me exactly double than what I have paid for the S6...., so if could could give me some advise (you can e-mail me), as to if it is really worth it I would appreciate.

The S6 is going great, specially since the new re-mapping in May last year. I was for 3 weeks at the coast and at sea level the S6 is so much quicker than at Johannesburg's altitude. It is strange that the difference is much greater than before the new re-papping, as well as greater than other normally aspirated engines such as BMW's. For instance my S6 at sea level does 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.5 seconds, whereas at JHB's altitude only 6.6 seconds..

The one thing with the RS6, is that in theory I should be able to get 98% of its performance at JHB's altitude. :)

Take care
Andre'

Dave
January 25th, 2003, 11:51
Hi Andre,

Glad to hear that your S6 is still preforming well!!
My Rs6 is fantastic.. I'm really enjoying it... Is it better than the S6.. yes, I can't deny that it is.. it has a more raw feeling, harder on the suspenion, faster on the throttle and gear change and the sound is just another step up. The suspension is the bigest improvment.. the new system with the oil dampners keeps it level through the bends so you acn carry more speed without the feeling of falling off the road. Saying that, it's not as comfortable as the S6 and is certainly a more 'agressive' ride. Cars in front are a nusience and need blowing away.. OI feel like a meglomanic driving the car :D

Is the RS6 twice as good as the S6.. no.. I wouldn't say that it is.. It's more of a development.. they have looked at any weekness of the A6/S6 model and improved on them.

To see that the RS6 is going to cost twice the S6.. that would cause me problems too, unless it's residual values hold up.

Currently RS6 Avants in the Uk are selling for over £7000 over book price.. that makes immediate delivery arounf £65,000!!!

Let me know how you get on
Cheers
Dave