View Full Version : Phatbox hookup for DVD Nav+

gjg
September 28th, 2004, 21:44
for the DVD Nav+ users outside of UK (i.e. without the CD changer wiring) please note that the connectors on back of the new NAV systems are different from all other previous Audi/WV radios where Phatbox has the cable and wonderfull "installation" manual

I tried to get information from AOA about pinout for Phatbox cable (Audi and Phatbox provides idiot proof install manual - pink wire to pin # x, blue wire to pin # y and so on, wonderfull pictures so even monkey could do it .....).

DVD Nav+ has has 4 different connectors, nice and big label on the bottom of the unit with clear description of each pin on each connector. Phatbox however provides only colors and pin # for Audi DIN connector, no info about actuall wire function.

:confused:

So, since last week, Audi and Phatnoise are debating who should provide the information - they respond quickly but substance was amazing - "we do not provide any hardware support here, please contact Phatnoise (Audi, response time 20 minutes). Phatnoise , day later ..... "we are not authorized to release any wirring information about our Phatbox units for Audi..... contact your car manufacturer....."

:argue:

so, if someone will want to use Phatbox in plus, I have the info ..... works nice with the 6.5" screen .... :thumb:

also the connectors need much smaller pins than supplied from Phatnoise/Audi with the wirring kit - we used some Motorola parts and worked like a champ ...

:brag: :cheers:

VinzRs6
September 28th, 2004, 21:55
Hey Gig...did you see my post? My radio doesn't have a Nav unit installed. Any help in my case would be appreciated! The dealer was able to connect the cable designed to work w/ the PhatBox w/o any problems, but they can't get the PhatBox to be recognized by the radio head. Any help/ideas? Thank you!

gjg
September 30th, 2004, 07:09
Vinz, I answered your post - tell dealer to RTFM ......

also - I did get detailed answer from Phatnoise day later with appology note for delay.

:thumb:

VinzRs6
September 30th, 2004, 13:27
Thanks for the reply Gig. It seems that the dealer was able to get the cable working, confirmed w/ using a multichanger. So radio recognizes aux. input. But the Phat Box is/was shorting out the head Unit, causing the fuse behind the head unit to blow. They tried my Phat Box on another car...it blew that fuse too. So it looks like I'm off shopping for new Box. Thank you again for reply. Regards!!!!