PDA

View Full Version : 1st Day of Ownership

egoroff
September 25th, 2004, 04:58
Got interested in Audi with a cheap lease offered on the A6 in 2001. Signed up but found that 2.8 liters was nice but wanted more power. Started to hear about the RS6 read about it off and on till now, when my lease was expiring. Looked on ebay and found one that had been owned by some big golf course executive in Miami. He bought two brand new and had one 'tuned' with an OC.T upgrade package which was done by the Audi dealership there in Miami. I guess he wanted to have a Mercedes so he traded it back to the dealer with 10,600 miles on it. Dealer in turn sells it to an independent dealer who puts it up on ebay. I put a couple of bids in on it but decide to stop bidding and see if the reserve is met. It isn't, so I contact the seller and since we are both in Florida, I establish that I would be interested in the car. Turns out they have an office in Orlando so I ask them to give me a bottom line price. $62,500. I said 'I'll take it.' Figured from my watching ebay pricing that this was reasonable.

Been driving it for one day. All I can say is that the blood is just now draining back into my brain. Feels just like some of the thrill rides at Disney! Thinking of taking some 'Driver Education' classe from the Central Florida Chapter of the Porche BMW Club. I really want to take this to the track and let it loose. Did do some high risk driving on deserted road around Orlando (hard to believe there are any) and I was impressed. Granted that I've never owned a vehicle even close to the level of this one. But I gotta say, this is one interesting theraputic session for the proverbial midlife crisis. Not really having one, but I guess that is the excuse some people give for these exuberant purchases. Or it could be that I just want to own one of the best made and fastest cars out there. I'll think about this and check in next week for another post traumatic driving experience exercise.

P.S. The only odd thing about the car is that the RS6 badges have been removed as well as the the rings on the trunk. I can see the sense of the RS6 badge (hides identity for theft purposes) but what is with the thing with the rings??

Erik
September 25th, 2004, 09:52
egoroff, welcome to the forum!

I guess the owner wanted a really clean vehicle when he removed the rings, or maybe he thought he was driving a BMW ;)

GoFastKindaGuy
September 25th, 2004, 15:29
And with all that power plus quattro, you can escape the damn hurricanes -- in a hurry!

Welcome.:addict:

RS4Ever
September 26th, 2004, 03:55
congradulations man!
sounds really cool.

LIRS6
September 27th, 2004, 16:33
Great choice - good luck with it. Fyi I removed my badges (but left the rings - I'm not embarassed to own an Audi). I like the clean look and the stealthiness. My only complaint is that the S-Line now looks so similar.:rs6kiss:

nyrs6
September 27th, 2004, 16:49
Originally posted by LIRS6
My only complaint is that the S-Line now looks so similar.:rs6kiss:

:hihi:

JAXRS6
September 27th, 2004, 18:24
egoroff, thanks for the reminder of why we love these cars -- and congratulations!

Now that it's been a few days, I figure someone ought to tell you that if you're serious about tracking the car, you ought to do some searches here. Main issue is the brakes, which work great on the road but often suffer from the more rigorous challenges of a track.

egoroff
September 28th, 2004, 04:53
Originally posted by JAXRS6
egoroff, thanks for the reminder of why we love these cars -- and congratulations!

Now that it's been a few days, I figure someone ought to tell you that if you're serious about tracking the car, you ought to do some searches here. Main issue is the brakes, which work great on the road but often suffer from the more rigorous challenges of a track.

Ah, an excellent suggestion. Haven't done the research yet, but I really want to take it to the track. I'm going to the Road Atlanta track to watch a friend race in the PBOC (Porche BMW Owners Clud) meet there this weekend. I'd love to do some Drivers Ed, but the classes are sold out.

Anyway, back to the brakes. I am very impressed with them on the road having gently tested them at higher rates of speed. No doubt there are even better after market ones available, but come on, is it really necessary? I mean I want to drive fast (and I am new to the whole performance car thing) but these SEEM like way more powerful than any other brakes I've ever used.

Just one more comment. I can't get over how much of a rush it is to drive this thing. So much power and so much control. A true work of (mechanical) art.

JAXRS6
September 28th, 2004, 06:04
Yeah, the RS6 is a great road car! Its combination of power, AWD, size and luxury make it King of the Road in my book.

The track is different because unlike real world driving, on most tracks you go into one tight corner after another as fast as your ability allows, which generally means faster the more you do it. And the turns are coming every 5-10 seconds, a dozen or so per lap, lap after lap after lap. So heat builds up -- from the engine, but also the brakes, because they are carrying a very heavy load up front for all those turn approaches, compared to virtually anything else at a track. After so many laps, pads and/or rotors can get fried.

The track is where size and weight take a toll -- on brakes and tires. In fact Audi recommends only properly sized tires with a Heavy Load rating for the RS6, and only three brands have been available in the US.

My guess is that if you track your car for 10-12 minutes at a time instead of 20-30, or just don't drive it too hard into the turns, your brakes MIGHT be OK. But that's based on my recollection of one post here (possibly by Bauer or Benman), whereas more than a dozen other posts have either complained about stock brakes at a track or told of aftermarket brakes that (sometimes) work better.

That's why a search makes sense before you count on happiness at the track with stock brakes. :idea:

And don't feel too badly. The M5 is rare at tracks, too, due partly to its heft compared to (for example) an M3. At least that's what I've been told at a track.

egoroff
September 29th, 2004, 02:59
Related to brakes discussion.

Would someone enlighten me on why I can drive my recently purchased RS6 with 11,000 miles on it around town with no problems. Once I've done some aggressive driving for 20 minutes or so and then take it back home, stopping at red lights the brakes squeak?