PDA

View Full Version : Dubious styling

Graeme
September 18th, 2004, 22:47
I fully understand that this is going to be a rather controversial discussion thread, but am I alone in thinking that Audi has really pushed the wrong buttons in their latest incarnation of the S4.
The picture attached shows what I consider to be a beautiful car, but the new S4 looks wrong. The headlamps are out of the cars design lines and the new grill really doesn’t need to be carried onto the A4. I personally preferred Audi when they didn’t have this so called "corporate nose styling"
I was seriously considering buying an S4, but now I'll either look to the second hand market for a pre 2005 model or look towards the Audi drivers nemesis - The M3.
Please someone confirm I'm not alone in this opinion.
I've been an avid fan of the Audi quatro cars since the early group B rally development timing, and I now feel let down by the brand.
Nb. Sorry to owner of this black S4 for pincing his picture to make my point.

Audi Advocate
September 18th, 2004, 23:22
New S4 :
1. Asian style headliaghts (not in a good way)
2. Unremarkable back end (bland)
3. That Nose Rudolph - that Nose!

:doh:

nene
September 19th, 2004, 04:26
Always wait to give last word when you see it in person. German cars don't usually look as good in pictures as they do in person.

Asian cars however, always look good in pictures (2-D), but not always good in person.

I am holding judgement until I see it in person, and I think you should as well.

mächtigavant
September 19th, 2004, 06:13
That's my car.

I guess for obvious reasons I disagree with your opinion. I think the B6 is one of the most beautiful cars on the road, especially the Avant. Have you seen the new B7? Makes me glad I own a B6. ;-)

Graeme
September 19th, 2004, 08:46
I think you've misenterpreted what I have said mächtigavant, The point I was making is that the pre 2005 car is stunning, but the new model is terrible.
I'll reserve judgement in full until I see the car in the flesh, but I'm not convinced I'm going to make a full 180 degreed on my first impressions.
As for that nose.... it makes me shudder. from all the concept pictures i've seen, I've not yet seen an audi that has had it applied, that it suits.:doh:

mächtigavant
September 19th, 2004, 09:03
My apologies! I completely agree with you...not digging the new look. Too much Japanese in the sheetmetal.

RS4Ever
September 19th, 2004, 09:06
Originally posted by nene
Always wait to give last word when you see it in person. German cars don't usually look as good in pictures as they do in person.

Asian cars however, always look good in pictures (2-D), but not always good in person.

I am holding judgement until I see it in person, and I think you should as well.

im backing up nene for he makes a great point and i have noticed exactly what he means but i always thought never to bring it up because it sound skind of funny.. but its true.. they dont look that well in pics but in the flesh its definaltey something else.
however, when i look at the pics of the B7 , i can imagine it in real and see/imagine that it will look stunning.

take for instance the silver B7 S4's that we've all seen.. u know the same pics that every article on the web posts.. that silver in real life is out of this world.. the reflections of light.. the metalic strength ... the body definition... you must wait to see it live.

i am already seeing it... and not because i'm waiting to get one... however, i am waiting to get one, becuase i have already seen it (not live..hehe.. not yet)

J0X
September 19th, 2004, 09:40
Don't judge too quickly! I too think the B6 is one of the finest cars around these days - but I also remember how the talk went in early '01, how they perfectly ruined the B5 shapes and style.

Let's just wait and see! :looking:

McBurn4ever
September 19th, 2004, 18:44
I sure hope that it's better looking in real life than it is on pictures..
It just looks to sweet, neat..nice, proper.....not at all as the real beast it is.
Maybe they've done it to make room for the mean looks of the upcoming new RS4.. :MTM: :bigeyes: ..at least I hope so..
One thing is sure! If you are looking for a "sleeper" you just can't go wrong with this one.. :360:

mächtigavant:
Welcome to rs6.com!
I've been wondering when you should show up here... :D

http://mcburn4ever.com/temp/s4-kiss.gif :thumb:

Audi Advocate
September 22nd, 2004, 01:59
New A6 was dragged through Toronto this summer - the grille just does not cut it there or on the S4.

B7 S4 does even greater damage with Asian headlamp design.

To each their own but it's terrible to see a model or two divide the devoted (ex. the new BMW 7 series).

I'm Old School on this debate.

Enjot the drive - as long as it's German.

:argue: :argue:

RS4Ever
September 22nd, 2004, 03:47
they said in that article published that it will have a brilliant black color and a phantom black pearl effect.

the brilliant black is a curent color however i'm not familiar with the phantom black.. was that out already or is that a new color?

http://www.fastdrive.org/content.php?article.207

"The new S4, like the other S models, can be ordered in a choice of exclusively available paint finishes: Imola Yellow, Brilliant Red, Sprint Blue, pearl effect and Deep Green, pearl effect. The S4 can also be ordered in Brilliant Black, in the metallic colours Silver or Dolphin Grey and in Phantom Black or Moro Blue, both with pearl effect."

i wonder that it will be like....:vhmmm:

Graeme
September 22nd, 2004, 06:28
I'm sorry, but this just doesnt look good. The current model is stunning and I think Audi are going very wrong.

Audihead
September 22nd, 2004, 21:24
I love my B6, but must see new one in person before passing judgement.

tailpipe
September 23rd, 2004, 10:25
One of the problems we seem to consistently have with new models from all manufacturers is the quality of the PR shots they use. Quite literally, they never show the cars in their best light. Which is why you so often hear journalists saying the car looks so much better in the flesh. I don't know whether this is because the car companies use their own photographers who have less skill than advertising photographers, but most PR shots seem very flat and uninspiring. They fail to capture the cars' lines and prefer just to present a basic visual description of the car.

I remember when the B6 A4 came out. Everyone said it looked bland and dull. Over time, it has become a classic example of Audi's understated design approach. Even the TT polarised opinion on first glance, although as soon as the car was seen in the metal, people realised that it was something unique and special.

Whatever images one sees, there is always the shock of the new. When something is different form what we're used to or what we expect, we tend to need time to adjust ourselves to it.

Audi has deliberately chosen to introduce the new grille gradually, with new models progressively integrating it into the established lines of models we know well. I think there might have been an Anti-Da Silva movement among Audi owners (like the outcry against Chris Bangle at BMW) had the new look been introduced in one go.

So I need to see the new A4 in the metal before I finally pass judgement. It'll be interesting to see what we collectively think 12 months down the road.

Having said all that, having only seen the Nuvolari only in pictures, I can without hesitation say that it is a stunning design. I wonder if that is because of the grille or inspite of the grille?

Graeme
September 24th, 2004, 23:01
On the subject of the grill and the subsequent acceptance of it, then I personally believe it’s down to application.
Sure, the grill is stunning on the Nuvolari, but then the silhouette shape of the car suits the grill. The cars lines have been shaped with the application of the "Corporate nose" grill in mind, and as such it follows those lines with the incorporation working perfectly.
I'm struggling to draw an analogy with which to challenge this for the new S4, but it just simply doesn’t appear to suit the car, it seems to have been imposed on there with none of the design integrity that Audi designers normally employ.
If you can image, for example, the taillights on the lexus 200 series cars, then they suited the car perfectly. They were soon copied by many an aftermarket parts suppliers, but they never looked right on any other car. They were just an originally cleverly integrated design element dumped onto a car not supposed to have it. They looked very wrong on everything else. Does this make sense ?
As has been justifiable said in the thread of this post already, seeing the car in the flesh may make me do a complete U turn on my opinion, but I’m really not sure..
Who knows - I still love the Audi S and RS series cars, and one day I may even bring myself to buy one and finally steer away from the BMW's I've always ended up with. We'll just have to be patient and see .
:s4addict:

Audi Advocate
September 25th, 2004, 23:11
You gotta hope Audi pays attention to these forums.

Bring on the Nuvolari.

I'll love my B6 S4 til then.

:: :s4addict: :s4addict: :s4addict: :s4addict:

Audihead
September 26th, 2004, 00:09
Originally posted by Audi Advocate
You gotta hope Audi pays attention to these forums.

One would hope.

:s4addict: -Audihead

estim8d
September 27th, 2004, 04:20
i love the new grill - sorry, but it is a nice evolution. Be happy Audi AG doesn't have bangle for their design director.

A418TQTip
September 27th, 2004, 06:27
In my opinion, ALL car companies are introducing new "controversial" designs just for the heck of it... Sure, it's the new millenium and all that, but the new designs are arguably better...

Anyway, driving dynamics is what really matters to me. So, as long as I can see improvements in that area, I'm happy... I really don't care much about looks...

PS: The Avant on the previous page is a very, VERY nice looking car!!!