PDA

View Full Version : Interest in RS 6 Improved front Rotor?

jimmy94507
September 15th, 2004, 04:55
I've seen numerous postings about the RS 6 OEM front brake rotor not able to get rid of heat under aggressive driving conditions. I've certainly tested mine at Audi Driving schools.I plan to continue attending Audi Driving Schools (3 or 4 a year) and would like to find an aftermarket rotor which could be used with the OEM caliper.

Stasis has just come up with their RS 6 front brake system using an Alcon rotor and Alcon 6 piston caliper. However, for all us US owners, we have the 4 year/50K factory warranty and its hard to justify replacing the OEM braking system to attend a few drivers schools each year. I've talked to them about a replacement for the OEM rotor. If there is sufficient interest, they would be willing to investigate if such a rotor is feasible.

How many of you owners would be interested in a rotor with improved cooling characteristics and better pads which could easily be installed for aggressive driving and/or track sessions? I'd like to be able to slap in rotors and pads and head for the next Audi driving school.

If you are interested, please reply to this post, PM me or send directly to:
jimmy94507@earthlink.net

Best regards, Jim

audirs6sport
September 15th, 2004, 09:23
Originally posted by jimmy94507
I've seen numerous postings about the RS 6 OEM front brake rotor not able to get rid of heat under aggressive driving conditions. I've certainly tested mine at Audi Driving schools.I plan to continue attending Audi Driving Schools (3 or 4 a year) and would like to find an aftermarket rotor which could be used with the OEM caliper.

Stasis has just come up with their RS 6 front brake system using an Alcon rotor and Alcon 6 piston caliper. However, for all us US owners, we have the 4 year/50K factory warranty and its hard to justify replacing the OEM braking system to attend a few drivers schools each year. I've talked to them about a replacement for the OEM rotor. If there is sufficient interest, they would be willing to investigate if such a rotor is feasible.

How many of you owners would be interested in a rotor with improved cooling characteristics and better pads which could easily be installed for aggressive driving and/or track sessions? I'd like to be able to slap in rotors and pads and head for the next Audi driving school.

If you are interested, please reply to this post, PM me or send directly to:
jimmy94507@earthlink.net

Best regards, Jim

audirs6sport<------- interested. =)

Nordschleife
September 15th, 2004, 17:43
Just doing the rotor is a nice idea, I wonder if it is worth it. The stock 8 piston calliper has a very small swept pad area.
This means that you will still get through pads at a rate of knots and have localised heat spots. The pads may still catch fire under provocation, despite the improved rotor, which could do with better ventilation than it receives in the stock car.

R+C

Bauer
September 16th, 2004, 02:41
Or just buy a track car and waste a bunch of money on like I am doing:D :D :wo:

Jim,

I would be interested if I were still using the RS6 as the primary track car.........although, I still might buy a set if it is worth it. Also, still plan to take the RS6 out every once and a while and would be nice for those times.

Cheers

minimad
September 16th, 2004, 08:12
will put MTM 380mm rotor on next week. Update later.

jimmy94507
September 16th, 2004, 15:09
Minimad - Are you installing an MTM rotor that replaces the Audi rotor yet uses the Audi 8 piston caliper, or, does the MTM brake upgrade replace the rotor and also use their replacement caliper and pads?

Will the 380 mm rotor fit the Audi 18 inch wheels? Do you have 18 inch or 19 inch wheels?

Nordschleife - Yes, the Audi swept pad area issue will still be there. If they can come up with a replacement rotor it will have a redesigned hat to improve the air flow and rotor cooling. Pagid has higher performance pads available for track use which could be used in conjunction with the improved rotor. It would be great to have better front brakes for Audi driving school use yet be able to go back to the Audi originals for the street and retain the Audi warranty for the next 3 years.

Thanks and regards, Jim

Erik
September 16th, 2004, 18:04
Not sure if it's on-topic, but it hopefully helps

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedincontents.htm

minimad
September 17th, 2004, 02:14
Originally posted by jimmy94507
Minimad - Are you installing an MTM rotor that replaces the Audi rotor yet uses the Audi 8 piston caliper, or, does the MTM brake upgrade replace the rotor and also use their replacement caliper and pads?

Will the 380 mm rotor fit the Audi 18 inch wheels? Do you have 18 inch or 19 inch wheels?

Nordschleife - Yes, the Audi swept pad area issue will still be there. If they can come up with a replacement rotor it will have a redesigned hat to improve the air flow and rotor cooling. Pagid has higher performance pads available for track use which could be used in conjunction with the improved rotor. It would be great to have better front brakes for Audi driving school use yet be able to go back to the Audi originals for the street and retain the Audi warranty for the next 3 years.

Thanks and regards, Jim

Hi, Jim,

Only replace rotor, quote "This kit includes grooved brake discs in the dimension 380 x 34mm with all adapters, fitting parts and stainless steel brake lines for the front axle.
For a more price are also drilled brake discs in this dimension available!
Price: £á 2881,-- incl. TAX; plus fitting" You can find this in MTM's website : http://www.mtm-online.de/index_en.htm , go to Audi RS6, then go to NEWS to see this information incl pic.

i have 19" wheels, but I believe that OEM 18" can be fit. In fact, Sportec has 400mm front rotor for 19" wheels at the price of Sfr 7k .:eye: