PDA

View Full Version : Flat Tire

JKN
September 15th, 2004, 01:35
Okay, this has been written about before, but I just went thru process and I have to tell you all two things you should put in your trunk somewhere.

1. flashlight
2. some sort of cotton gloves if you're wearing nice clothes, etc.

The pump thing is just a pain but works...

Here is my real reason for posting... The tire (hole put in it was my fault, I hit a curb! F*%$!) is a Dunlop Sport 9000RS 255/14ZR18. I called my dealer and they said they didn't have one.. they called around to a bunch of tire dealer they know and finally called back and said they have to order from some place in Indiana and have it overnighted to Boston. Does that seem real? Anyway, I ordered one tire since the snows go on in a couple of months up this way.

I'll have to re-read the previous thread about tires, but I'm gonna have to get a new set that is easier to replace than that.. it's totally unbelievable that the closest place that has this tire is more than 1000 miles away!

:vhmmm: :vhmmm:

nyrs6
September 15th, 2004, 02:00
Try tirerack. They have it in stock ad far as i know.

Benman
September 15th, 2004, 05:52
Originally posted by JKN

they called around to a bunch of tire dealer they know and finally called back and said they have to order from some place in Indiana and have it overnighted to Boston. Does that seem real?

:vhmmm: :vhmmm:
Idiana is the Tirerack capital. They're probably getting it from them. Like nyrs6 says, try them.

Finnus
September 15th, 2004, 13:34
JKN,

I had a tire "mishap" (hit a curb also) the first road trip with my beast. You can read about it if you do a search. I ended up buying a fifth tire and rim (which is a pain in the a-- taking up trunk space).

Finnus
:addict:

JKN
September 15th, 2004, 16:45
Finnus,

I agree... this experience has caused me to consider seriously buying another rim and tire.. the spare is good enough to get home, but I use my car daily.. right now I'm driving the family SUV simply because a tire that I need isn't in the state of massachusetts. pretty funny if you think about it.. I mean is the market for these tires that small?

eph94
September 16th, 2004, 00:15
Originally posted by JKN
I mean is the market for these tires that small?

When I got a flat the night before I was heading to a driving school, my local Pirelli dealer laughed out loud when I asked if they had the tire size in stock. It's not exactly a mainstream size and load rating. (NTB didn't even have "RS6" in their computer.) Just think, what do we have, all of four options for tires in the 18" size?

JAXRS6
September 16th, 2004, 02:31
Originally posted by JJV-MA
...what do we have, all of four options for tires in the 18" size?

I researched this a lot a while back and in the US I know of only three that have the Audi-recommended Heavy Load rating in 18": Dunlop, Pirelli, and Michelin Pilot Sport (but not PS2). Who is the 4th?

eph94
September 16th, 2004, 05:15
Originally posted by JAXRS6
I researched this a lot a while back and in the US I know of only three that have the Audi-recommended Heavy Load rating in 18": Dunlop, Pirelli, and Michelin Pilot Sport (but not PS2). Who is the 4th?

Now you know why I posed it as a question and not a statement. So, even worse than my guess, we only have THREE options...

For some reason I thought Continental had an available tire.

Johfra
September 16th, 2004, 12:45
About a month ago, I backed up over a sharp stone in my driveway and punctured the side wall on the rear passenger side. Deflated in about 10 seconds.

I have a set of the Audi winter wheels and the ratio is the same, so I had that tire put on and the dealer got the new tire in about 2 days. Much better than the laughable spare, and it actually looked interesting with two different rims.

I checked with the dealer and the ratio was the same, so for the short period I had it on, it was fine.

JKN
September 16th, 2004, 12:55
I do have to tell you that, so far, Clair Audi in Boston has been really outstanding to work with. I called them while I was taking the jack out of my trunk to change the tire and now two days later they have the tire at the dealership and ready to replace my punctured one. Not only that, but the price is the same as tiretrack, so they aren't gouging me either!

Jeff in service was as professional as they get. Such a dramatic difference from the crappy service my wife gets from boston volvo (which takes the production line mentality to service).....

anyway, I've got a set of winter wheels and tires.. maybe that will be my solution from now on for a two day spare.. i didn't even think of that. Duh.

eph94
September 16th, 2004, 18:35
Originally posted by JKN
anyway, I've got a set of winter wheels and tires.. maybe that will be my solution from now on for a two day spare.. i didn't even think of that. Duh.

I never thought of that, either. That's a great idea. Even if you swapped out all 4 for a day or two while you waited for the new tire, it certainly beats using that inflated doughnut.

I'm glad you had a good experience with Clair. I use an Audi dealer north of Boston and I haven't been too impressed with the service department thus far.