PDA

View Full Version : Lastingness / prices of RS6 stock brakes

tgroeger
September 13th, 2004, 16:45
Has anyone experince with the lastingness of RS6 Brakes
(Disc and pads)?
After 25000 km i had to replace rear and front discs including pads.
The price with installation was 2000 EURO.
I will hope Audi will take part.

JAXRS6
September 13th, 2004, 17:17
I'm over 25,000 miles and brakes are doing fine. Most of my driving is not aggressive, however, and hills were a factor for less than 10% of those miles.:D

Bauer
September 13th, 2004, 18:03
Went through a set a pads @ 9k and need new rotors and pads..now @ 20k. Have done a few Audi club events.

sturs6
September 14th, 2004, 02:14
22,000 miles but told them they should do it at 17,000 and they did not and it set Audi back 2500 USD maybe they will listen next time.

gjg
September 14th, 2004, 05:42
After 25000 km i had to replace rear and front discs including pads. The price with installation was 2000 EURO.

uff, long term would be cheaper to install Movit's - and that is not even takin in account the performance ..... :mech:

7:53 RS6
September 14th, 2004, 11:05
Originally posted by tgroeger
Has anyone experince with the lastingness of RS6 Brakes
(Disc and pads)?
After 25000 km i had to replace rear and front discs including pads.
The price with installation was 2000 EURO.
I will hope Audi will take part.

Hi and welcome to the board!
Exactly Why did you change rotors in front and back is my question? Or why did Audi change.
Did you have the car from it was new?

tgroeger
September 14th, 2004, 13:49
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
Hi and welcome to the board!
Exactly Why did you change rotors in front and back is my question? Or why did Audi change.
Did you have the car from it was new?

Yes the car was new!
The front rotors were used up and
rear discs changed color, caused by heat.

Also the rear rotors had litle cracks.
So, Audi recommended to change the rear ones too.

nene
September 14th, 2004, 14:49
My RS6 just turned 19K miles. That is roughly 27K KM I think...

I just swaped the Summer wheels back to stock wheels, and while at it I inspected the rotors and pads close-up.
The pads seem to have about 30-40% of thickness left in the front, while the rears I'd say maybe 60% (give or take).

I've noticed that the holes drilled into the rotors happen to be somewhat filled with brake dust. I did not bother cleaning them. I guess I could have used a cool air drier to try to blow the dust away, but did not care that much about it to do it.

Now that the pads are used up, I've noticed that the brakes squeal a whole lot more. I might have to talk to my dealership about that again.

I would say that 60% of my driving is city driving, so not a whole lot hard braking techniques used.

September 14th, 2004, 14:58
Yes the car was new!
The front rotors were used up and
rear discs changed color, caused by heat.

Also the rear rotors had litle cracks.
So, Audi recommended to change the rear ones too.

Sorry for asking but how did you know the front rotor was used up? Did you messur them. New they are 34mm and if they are going under minimum tolerans that are 32mm(32mm minimum is printed on the metall the rotor is siting on) they are best to be replaced. In my opinion Audi did rip you of. Espessaly when they recomend you to change rear rotors at that km.

Stress cracks and change of color is normall

Brand new front rotor could of course be bad, espessaly in terms of them geting whrapped. I did by new rotors recently and have just drove 2000km and they are whrapped. You bet that Audi is giving me new for free!

tgroeger
September 14th, 2004, 16:51
Sorry for asking but how did you know the front rotor was used up? Did you messur them. ...

No, I did not measure the front disc.
The Audi dealer told me, that they are used up.
I dont trust my Audi factory garage too musch, so I asked to get the old discs for measurement.
I could not believe,that especially the rear rotors had to be changed.
I never used the car on a race track and i did not do any hard stopping.

But they told me, that they send the discs and pads to Audi factory.
Maybe Audi takes part with the cost.
Otherwise, i hope to get the rotors back.

September 14th, 2004, 17:50
No, I did not measure the front disc.
The Audi dealer told me, that they are used up.
I dont trust my Audi factory garage too musch, so I asked to get the old discs for measurement.
I could not believe,that especially the rear rotors had to be changed.
I never used the car on a race track and i did not do any hard stopping.

But they told me, that they send the discs and pads to Audi factory.
Maybe Audi takes part with the cost.
Otherwise, i hope to get the rotors back.

Its anyway wery often Audi and BMW etc..... pull a stunt like this.

When i see what you wright, driven 25000km, had car since new, never race track , not hard stopping. My guess is your rotors was far from used up. Make Audi explain to you whats going on!

By the way i changed stock front setup 10 times since march 2004 and 1 time in back in this time. I guess it tells you how im driving my car:wo: :incar:

God luck:thumb:

September 14th, 2004, 17:51
Its anyway wery often Audi and BMW etc..... pull a stunt like this.

When i see what you wright, driven 25000km, had car since new, never race track , not hard stopping. My guess is your rotors was far from used up. Make Audi explain to you whats going on!

By the way i changed stock front setup 10 times since march 2004 and 1 time in back in this time. I guess it tells you how im driving my car:wo: :incar:

God luck:thumb:

Pads!! that is.

September 14th, 2004, 17:56
Sorry for asking but how did you know the front rotor was used up? Did you messur them. New they are 34mm and if they are going under minimum tolerans that are 32mm(32mm minimum is printed on the metall the rotor is siting on) they are best to be replaced. In my opinion Audi did rip you of. Espessaly when they recomend you to change rear rotors at that km.

Stress cracks and change of color is normall

Brand new front rotor could of course be bad, espessaly in terms of them geting whrapped. I did by new rotors recently and have just drove 2000km and they are whrapped. You bet that Audi is giving me new for free!

34mm new is the front rotor of course!

Alex K
September 15th, 2004, 14:09
At 31.000 km, my front pads and rotors were changed (pads used up and standard rotors (not drilled) were run in and showing heat cracks) plus rear pads were replaced.
New rotors were drilled version.
Driving style: "ambitious" driving (with subsequent hard braking) on German Autobahns

tgroeger
September 15th, 2004, 14:46
Originally posted by Alex K
At 31.000 km, my front pads and rotors were changed (pads used up and standard rotors (not drilled) were run in and showing heat cracks) plus rear pads were replaced.
New rotors were drilled version.
Driving style: "ambitious" driving (with subsequent hard braking) on German Autobahns

Hi Alexander,
is it possible to ask you about the price for the front rotors and pads?
Did you change the rotors yourself, or did your dealer told you to do?
Thanks
Thomas