PDA

View Full Version : Need info of Sportec 15HP+ intercooler

minimad
September 13th, 2004, 05:43
Anyone has intalled the intercooler or any dox? Is that front mounted?

nene
September 13th, 2004, 15:56
Usually any intercoolers are front mounted. However, if you are thinking of an intercooler mounted in the center of the car, alas Japanese rides, I don't believe there is enough space there for it.
The only think I can think of would be a larger set for the corners, in replacement for what is stock.

You can install some sort of NOS mist system to help out, but not sure it's worth it.

Have you tried contacting the Sportec folks in USA or Europe on this issue? If you find out any more info from non RS6.com sources, please let us know.

jeremy@matrix
June 27th, 2006, 19:49
Originally posted by minimad
Anyone has intalled the intercooler or any dox? Is that front mounted?

Yes, you'll want to retain the SMIC's (side mount intercoolers). Champion Racing ran a FMIC (front mount intercooler) on their RS6 racecars for awhile but swapped them for VERY large SMIC's instead, which proved to be beneficial. Here's a write-up on the Sportec SMIC's;

http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=8819&perpage=18&highlight=intercooler&pagenumber=1

nene
June 27th, 2006, 22:07
I think this may be my next mod!

Mr Balsen
June 27th, 2006, 22:15
As I wrote in the post regarding Intercooler for S4, The Side Intercoolers are to my knowledge the most efficient. It is very important to look how the air is extracted after the intercoolers. This is as important as the air going inside the intercooler. On a front intercooler, only 50% of the air is going inside the intercooler. The other 50% are going aside of the intercooler because take the easyest way. Water spraying is also very efficient.

Heat is definitely a challenge on an RS6. The engine could be 20% more powerfull if it was properly cooled.

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

jeremy@matrix
June 27th, 2006, 23:02
I forgot to post the pic of Champion's RS6 SMIC's. This was from when they were on our dyno awhile back;

http://www.matrixintegrated.cc/images/pic_05.jpg

They are incredibly deep (too deep for a street car unfortunately).

Originally posted by Mr Balsen
As I wrote in the post regarding Intercooler for S4, The Side Intercoolers are to my knowledge the most efficient. It is very important to look how the air is extracted after the intercoolers. This is as important as the air going inside the intercooler. On a front intercooler, only 50% of the air is going inside the intercooler. The other 50% are going aside of the intercooler because take the easyest way. Water spraying is also very efficient.

Heat is definitely a challenge on an RS6. The engine could be 20% more powerfull if it was properly cooled.

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

Indeed Frederic. Do you have any pictures of the stock SMIC's vs the Sportec SMIC's? Buzz in the other thread didn't post any.

TIA

trex
June 28th, 2006, 02:45
i also did the Sportec mod unfortunately i didn't have my cam. with me ,but by a visual comparison 30-35% bigger than OEM .
over all the car is preforming much better also keep in mind it comes with bigger engine & gearbox oil cooler.

minimad
June 28th, 2006, 05:15
Originally posted by trex
i also did the Sportec mod unfortunately i didn't have my cam. with me ,but by a visual comparison 30-35% bigger than OEM .
over all the car is preforming much better also keep in mind it comes with bigger engine & gearbox oil cooler.

thx for these info. I have MTM bigger engine & gearbox oil cooler already, they work very efficient, the heat problem to the engine and gearbox has been improved at great deal, engine oil temp drop appox. 30 degree C, and gearbox shows no more warning light when push hard.

That's why I don't know the Sportec's bigger side intercoolers is needed to me or not?

Mr Balsen
June 28th, 2006, 06:47
Drilling the hood is also very efficient to extract the heat from the engine bay. See below a picture I took on my Audi Sport Quattro at 50 km/h. So much heat extractect that the little strings are straight ! ! ! !

http://www.mtmfrance.com/galerie_photos/SQ_DSC01859.jpg

I have resolved pretty much the heat problem on my car by drilling 3 areas. 2 more need to be drilled like it was on the racing Sport Quattro.

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

alex_s3
June 28th, 2006, 17:00
Some questions:

My father have a S4 01' with few mods, I've heard the S4 B5
have heat problems. So I was wondring if we changed ICs
to stock RS4 or awe would it help much?
And will it be necessary with modifications in the bumper?

And other options like water spray or a fan behind the ICs would
that be efficient?

Last Q: If you drilled the hood like it was done on the on sportquattro, would that decrease heat and increase hp, but also increase drag? So in the end you would'nt earn anything on the hood-drilling?

Anyone that have any experince with the questions ?:idea:

-
Alex 15 years..

jeremy@matrix
June 28th, 2006, 18:37
Originally posted by alex_s3
Some questions:

My father have a S4 01' with few mods, I've heard the S4 B5
have heat problems. So I was wondring if we changed ICs
to stock RS4 or awe would it help much?
And will it be necessary with modifications in the bumper?

And other options like water spray or a fan behind the ICs would
that be efficient?

Last Q: If you drilled the hood like it was done on the on sportquattro, would that decrease heat and increase hp, but also increase drag? So in the end you would'nt earn anything on the hood-drilling?

Anyone that have any experince with the questions ?:idea:

-
Alex 15 years..

Hi Alex,

This the wrong forum but I will post some quick info. The B5 S4's DEFINITELY take well to larger intercoolers such as AWE's SMIC's, over the RS4 SMIC's.

There are no modifications needed to the stock S4 bumper.

The quick skinny (I'm still finishing up our official write-up) on RS4 vs AWE SMIC's; on our 2nd run in 4th gear, we saw IAT's at 63deg C with the RS4 SMIC's and 40deg C with the AWE SMIC's!!!!!

As we proceeded with pulls, the difference in IAT's between the two i/c sets increased dramatically. Power dropped off with the RS4 units and power was retained with the AWE units.

These AWE SMIC units are incredible. It's no wonder Champion Racing switched from a big FMIC to big SMIC's for their RS6.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103774

On the hood drilling, I would say the benefits of heat dissipation would certainly trump any downsides due to a small (if any) increase in aerodynamic loss.

Best,
Jeremy

Benman
June 28th, 2006, 19:59
Originally posted by jeremy@matrix

On the hood drilling, I would say the benefits of heat dissipation would certainly trump any downsides due to a small (if any) increase in aerodynamic loss.

Best,
Jeremy

Exactly. I'd have to agree with Mr. Balsen and Jeremy on that one. Unless of course you're seeing speeds around 200mph!:trash: :D

Ben:addict:

Mr Balsen
June 28th, 2006, 21:17

Best,
Jeremy [/B]

The hood of a Sport Quattro is about 15000 euros. I did not drill for no reason ! ! ! ! I spoke to former members of the Audi Sport Team back in the Groupe B Days before doing so. Heat was a huge issue on the Sport Quattro / S1 / Pike's Peak. The only solution they found was drilling the hood for the engine bay temperature.
I know from MTM that the (ugly) air outlets on the RS6 cause a decrease of 10 degree Celsius for the oil temperature. This is a lot for oil temperature ! ! !
I don't know for S4 B5 but you can buy another hood on an accidented car and do some testing. Obviously it will not cause extra heat anyway.
You can also look at the Brabus Rocket hood and notice also the drilling as well. Same for the Aston Martin DB7 / DB9. Look also at the Ferrari 599....

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

DetailersDomain
June 29th, 2006, 08:46
The guy in the states to reach about Sportec will be Scott at Rival Motorsports.

Here is his number: 315-491-6160

scott@rivalmotorport.com

I've been speaking to him about this mod as well.

mi021le
June 29th, 2006, 18:20
someone want to set up the rs6.com's friest group buy? i want the kit.

DetailersDomain
June 29th, 2006, 20:04
If you want I can try to do it, I don't know how much better we are gonna get, how many guys do you think will jump aboard?

nene
June 29th, 2006, 21:17
I'm in if a Group Buy takes place!
Right now Stephan is looking into it for me, however if the Group Buy takes place first, I'm on it.
Maybe Stephan can do it. I'll contact him. He's good with shipping too!

DetailersDomain
June 29th, 2006, 21:26
i'm hoping Scott at Rival can do better as he is the authorized Sportec dealer for North America.

Scott@Rival
July 1st, 2006, 22:53
Originally posted by pyiu
i'm hoping Scott at Rival can do better as he is the authorized Sportec dealer for North America.

Sorry for the delay folks as I was awaiting to hear back from the forum mods for sponsorshop/advert guidelines. When everything settles I can be reached under Scott@Rival here on RS6.com

First I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Scott Fiesinger I am with Rival Motorsport the US exclusive importer and distributor for SPORTEC tuned products. At this current day and time we are soley a distribution center with plans in the near future to offer complete walk in showroom and facility with ability to have your tuning needs and projects carried out by our in house team.

Our website www.rivalmotorsport.com is set to launch July 7th, 2006. Just about 14 months over schedule... Long story for but that's for another day.

In any event, the more important discussion is that of this SPORTEC DSMIC kit.

As far as the group buy is concerned I will offer two seperate packages with minimum of 3 person buy in to execute the group buy price. If we reach a 5 person group buy FREE shipping will be issued.

Package A: DSMIC Intercooler Upgrade Kit
- Dual side mount intercooler upgrade kit (DSMIC)
- Carbon fiber air ducts
- Lower belly pan air ducts
- Installation kit
- Instructions

List $4,995
Sale Price $4,549 + $30 shipping

Package B: DSMIC Intercooler Upgrade Kit & Oil Cooler Package
- Dual side mount intercooler upgrade kit (DSMIC)
- Engine-oil cooler kit
- Gearbox-oil cooler kit
- Harware and oil feed lines
- Carbon fiber air ducts
- Stainless steel belly pan air ducts
- Installation kit
- Instructions

List $6,995
Sale Price $6,649 + $45 shipping

http://images17.fotki.com/v324/photos/3/312468/3731984/portec_rs6_dsmic_oil_cooler_01-vi.jpg

http://images17.fotki.com/v313/photos/3/312468/3731984/sportec_rs6_dsmic_01-vi.jpg

http://images17.fotki.com/v325/photos/3/312468/3731984/sportec_rs6_dsmic_cf_01-vi.jpg

Thanks everyone for your interest. Please send over an email to scott@rivalmotorsport.com if you have any questions or concerns.

nene
July 3rd, 2006, 00:58
Are the lower grill inserts missing?

Scott@Rival
July 3rd, 2006, 01:04
Originally posted by nene
Are the lower grill inserts missing?

Good eye!! Yes they should be included. I will edit my post now!

- Apparently I cannot edit the post. Can a mod unlock it for me to edit?

Scott@Rival
July 4th, 2006, 19:42
Got 2 down for Package A

Any others?

Scott@Rival
July 19th, 2006, 04:03
Doesn't look as though this is generating a very good response here folks.

s42ski
July 21st, 2006, 05:15
Scott, how hard is the install - or perhaps I should ask it this way, how many hours will a shop take to perform an install ?

scottmandu
July 24th, 2006, 03:47
Looks overdone to me. Not to sure who did this, and if there is any performance gain. This car went through auction. It was a repaired vehicle and the repairer probably didn't want to spring for the expensive RS6 parts.

http://www.advancedautomotion.com/images/rs62.jpg

jeremy@matrix
July 24th, 2006, 16:35
Originally posted by scott@rival
Got 2 down for Package A

Any others?

We have a client interested which would be #3. :)

scottmandu
July 24th, 2006, 16:54
Are the aux radiators eliminated? Is the gearbox cooler in addition to the large transmission cooler located under the radiator?

jimmy94507
July 25th, 2006, 05:41
Hi Scott,
Seems like others have similar question to those contained in the PM I sent you. Can you supply some answers to share will all?

Where are the new Sprortec engine and transmission coolers installed?

What is the estimated installation time for the entire package B?

Can you quote a price for just the engine and transmission cooling enhancements without Package A?

Thanks, Jim

jeremy@matrix
July 25th, 2006, 16:28
Originally posted by jeremy@matrix
We have a client interested which would be #3. :)

Interested in pkgB, sorry for the confusion.

scottmandu
July 25th, 2006, 16:44
What is the core size on the sportec intercoolers and do you have a dyno plot with the intercoolers installed.

jimmy94507
July 29th, 2006, 19:46
Seems like you've been too busy to get us some answers. Is it possible to buy as set of the installations instruction so we can figure out wether we want to take on this upgrade?

Thanks, Jim
jimmys@cableone.net

minimad
July 31st, 2006, 04:46
scott, even though I am quite interested in the PKG A, but after I chked with MTM distributor here, they thought the PKG A won't fit my car because MTM oil cooler & tranny cooler on my beast already. Can you send installtion manual to prove they are wrong.

jimmy94507
August 5th, 2006, 16:47
Scott's awaiting more information from Sportec in Switzerland. Unfortunately, he's encountering some delays due to the summer holidays.

Jim

trex
August 15th, 2006, 09:26
Originally posted by jimmy94507
Scott's awaiting more information from Sportec in Switzerland. Unfortunately, he's encountering some delays due to the summer holidays.

Jim

The guys at Sportec are back now...

BTW if you need any additional info about Sportec products contact:
Thomas Hofer
Export Sales
Sportec AG
Hofstrasse 17
CH-8181 Höri

Fon +41 43 4114 300
Fax +41 43 4114 301

thomas.hofer@sportec.ch
www.sportec.ch
www.spr1.ch

Scott@Rival
August 15th, 2006, 15:08
Originally posted by s42ski
Scott, how hard is the install - or perhaps I should ask it this way, how many hours will a shop take to perform an install ?

I just received an installation walkthrough which is not 100% complete but has pictures and text. Problem is, is that it is in German so I will translate the text and send it to your email.

Please let me know an email you prefer.

Scott@Rival
August 15th, 2006, 15:13
Originally posted by minimad
scott, even though I am quite interested in the PKG A, but after I chked with MTM distributor here, they thought the PKG A won't fit my car because MTM oil cooler & tranny cooler on my beast already. Can you send installtion manual to prove they are wrong.

Please if you could pass me your email so I can send you a file attachment with the current installation walkthrough.

Scott@Rival
August 15th, 2006, 15:24
Originally posted by trex
The guys at Sportec are back now...

BTW if you need any additional info about Sportec products contact:
Thomas Hofer
Export Sales
Sportec AG
Hofstrasse 17
CH-8181 Höri

Fon +41 43 4114 300
Fax +41 43 4114 301

thomas.hofer@sportec.ch
www.sportec.ch
www.spr1.ch

Yes, they returned yesturday and I have been in touch with them just as soon as they got in.

Scott@Rival
August 15th, 2006, 15:35
Core dimensions are as follows: 270 x 270 x 64mm

- Cast aluminum endtanks with SPORTEC stamped logo.
- Prepregnauted and or dry carbon fiber process used for air induction guides.
- Used in the 600hp conversion car
- Greatly reduces oil temp to at least 10 degrees

Scott@Rival
August 19th, 2006, 17:09
http://images18.fotki.com/v340/photos/3/312468/3924676/DSC03794-vi.jpg

scottmandu
August 23rd, 2006, 19:19
I take it the sportec kit requires the removal of the US spec additional radiators mounted behind the intercoolers? Does the kit include the required stuff to remove the radiators?

jimmy94507
August 23rd, 2006, 22:02
Hi Scottmandu,
I would hope that the Sportec kit would NOT eliminate the side mounted engine coolers. One wants to retain as much cooling that Audi designed into the car and add additional cooling through kits like Sportec.
Great question!

Jimmy S.

scottmandu
August 23rd, 2006, 23:53
I would hope so too, however the sportec coolers mount where the additinal rads are mounted..

jimmy94507
August 24th, 2006, 03:43
Note the above picture of the intercooler and oil cooler. There is a space between the two. This gap appears to allow for the side mounted radiators with room for the coolant lines passing the oil cooler? Then again, maybe not....??
The question has been sent to Sportec. Detailed instructions are also on the way.

Regards, Jimmy S.

jimmy94507
September 1st, 2006, 03:19
Both of you have posted how pleased your are with the increased cooling. Additional information has been supplied by Sportec and picture posted above showing the larger Sportec IC with larger oil cooler attached.
However, I have been unable to learn where these mount in relation to the auxillary side mounted engine cooling radiators. (I assume your cars have these for your hot climate.)
Can one of you check with your mechanics and ask them if the Sportec IC and oil cooler mount in front of the OEM location of the Auxillary engine radiators?

Thank you, Jimmy S.