PDA

View Full Version : A few rattracing pics...

auditt
January 10th, 2003, 17:31
Here is 2 pics of my project. Iīm currently rebuilding the engine to get about 330 bhp. It depends on how much the transmission and driveline can take. Itīs a frontwheeldrive.

http://www.rattracing.com/photogallery/P9220026.JPG
http://www.rattracing.com/photogallery/P9220029.JPG

Nrn
January 10th, 2003, 18:29
So you are heading for 330bhp now, you have been bitten badly by the tuning devil! :hihi: I hope it will work out with the gearbox for you!

BR /Nicke

Robo BeasTT
January 11th, 2003, 12:32
Wow , I have seen these pictures before and the front of your car is just beautiful...... I think you have a complete description on how you made it starting from a Caractere front ..right?

Congratulations ! I think the original gearbox could stand the 330bhp....the one thing you are surely to have problems with is the clutch set......My TT is around the 300 bhp mark and I already need to change the clutch because it keeps on spinning.....

Also bought a lightened flywheel and pulleys which will greatly help to deliver all your engine power to the wheels !

PS : What are the wheels you have mounted ? they are plainly awesome ... vey good taste !!!

Congratulations and please keep us informed.

Cheers

Robo

auditt
January 11th, 2003, 13:30
Yes it is 40% caractrere, 40% original and after about 500 hours itīs 100 % RATTRACING! :devil: In fact today Swedish Composite & Engineering will pic up the latest prototype that differs slightly but hardly noticable today to start making a production mold. There are 2 guys that have placed an order here in sweden!

Iīve currently got about 265 hp and 365 Nm and I had to change to sinter in the standard clutch to keep it from spinning. Fidanza has lightened aluminium flywheels with a 220 mm Golf VR6 clutch that is upgraded. I comes in 4 diffrent version from 450 Nm to 595 Nm. Iīll problaly use this or a similar type.

Iīll also change the diff on the car that can handle more power and better deliver the hp to both wheels.

If its possible Iīll increase the bore to about 83,5 mm from original 81,5 and of course change pistons and rods. The pistons on the 180 is apperently a very week link. I will also use a steel head gasket that is thicker and lowers compression from 9,5:1 to 8,5:1 which will enable to increase turbocharge pressure. To prevent the block from falling appart it also will be reinforced.

Iīm currently searching for a better turbo and exhaust manifold. Hohenester has a great one but itīs so darn expensive. APR has got one that looks good but I dont know how much it costs. Anyone?

The wheels are Zender Dynamic with a fake centrum bolt. I chosed them because they look a lot like those used by the Audi R8 at Le Mans 24h which I visit every year. (Sadly Audi will not be participating this year :cry: )

auditt
January 11th, 2003, 13:35
Originally posted by Nrn
So you are heading for 330bhp now, you have been bitten badly by the tuning devil! :hihi: I hope it will work out with the gearbox for you!

BR /Nicke

I thínk itīs possible but I canīt promise anything. Iīll trie a few ideas that ACE Comp. doesnīt use. Itīs more fun to have a car witho your own ideas and differs a lot from the rest of the bunch in Audi Club Schweden. Hope to see u at the race track this season. ( Donīt miss the chance to take a "racing driver license" in april! I got one last year! Great fun with both lessons in theory and on the track.) If the TT isnīt finished to the 10:th of may Iīll bring the RS4 instead. :incar:

Robo BeasTT
January 11th, 2003, 13:42
auditt : Then you are going to modify the car big time ! you can find lots of helpful information at audiworl.com threads, lots of people install their kits over there .....

I think you could achieve that amount of power with simpler modifications without risking engine life . But if you continue with doing what you explained before , you will be able to push further more the capabiities of the engine.....

It is essential to change exhaust tubings and catalysers with that kind of power.. specially on the original 180īs which have such a restrictive exhaust system....

Iīm going for the Fidanza flywheel as well plus a sports clutch kit which should keep up to the 400bhp , 400lbft numbers.....(canīt recall the make of it right now ) ....

Iīll say it again, those are some of the best looking tyres I have seen....

Keep us informed and congratulations on your beauty :)

Cheers

Robo

auditt
January 11th, 2003, 13:52
I allready have a good 3" stainless steel custom built exhaust with a full flow "race cat". Soo that will not cause any problems until maybe 400 hp. I think itīs a Sachs clutch they use?
Iīll check out the articles! :cheers:

Robo BeasTT
January 11th, 2003, 13:57
Not sure now about the clutch but will tell when informed....itīs on delivery due.....

Have also bought a set of ligthened pulleys and a N75 "race valve" from the US at ECS tuning ..... www.ecstuning.com , but maybe if you are into racing you wonīt use air conditioning at all ??? or do you use your car on a daily basis ?

With that piping you are set and I think it should resist well above the 400bhp mark....

Cheers

Robo

Nrn
January 11th, 2003, 17:13
Originally posted by auditt

I thínk itīs possible but I canīt promise anything. Iīll trie a few ideas that ACE Comp. doesnīt use. Itīs more fun to have a car witho your own ideas and differs a lot from the rest of the bunch in Audi Club Schweden. Hope to see u at the race track this season. ( Donīt miss the chance to take a "racing driver license" in april! I got one last year! Great fun with both lessons in theory and on the track.) If the TT isnīt finished to the 10:th of may Iīll bring the RS4 instead. :incar:

Yes it sure is, and most of the TT:s that are beyond BPU are quattros and not FWD which in my eyes makes it even more intresting that youre heading for those effects! My own goal is to build a fast roadster!

Yes I promise you that ill be there for some trackdays with the Audi club, could be great fun! Ill be in Thailand and hong kong during most of April so Ill probably miss the driving course :(

Youll have to give the RS4 a test on the track, my guess is that i can give you quite alot of fun there! If my car isnt ready i can always take my volvo S70 2.0 for a spin :trash: or maybe not ;)

BR /Nicke